History of PU.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbm

I just noticed that some of the PU that I scored at the AZ clearance was the older SM stuff. How did this differ from the SN version?
I tried the 'Search' function but couldn't find the answer.

When did PU first come out?

Now that PU is being replaced by PUP, the current PU SN stuff is becoming a feverishly sought after collector's item due its extremely low Noack. But that's just among the BITOG crowd. Most others won't know the difference, and most engines probably won't either.

I actually found my answer by using 'Google' rather than the 'Search' feature on this site.

Originally Posted By: pbm
I actually found my answer by using 'Google' rather than the 'Search' feature on this site.

Best thing to do is search google narrowed down to results from BITOG, the search function within the forums is pretty bad.

IIRC the SM oil had a ton of additives and is probably great for a good cleaning. I know it turned black in my car after 300 miles and my car had never darkened the oil before. Must have found some dirt somewhere. I wouldn't hesitate to use it.

All 31 quarts of my Pennzoil Ultra score for $1.00 each at Autozone are SN. 5w30 & 10w30

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Now that PU is being replaced by PUP, the current PU SN stuff is becoming a feverishly sought after collector's item due its extremely low Noack. But that's just among the BITOG crowd. Most others won't know the difference, and most engines probably won't either.

PUP?? The acronyms on this site are getting out of hand ha ha

So what's the scoop on the PUP that is better than PU or PP ha ha

Jeff

Originally Posted By: Jeffs2006EvoIX
So what's the scoop on the PUP that is better than PU or PP ha ha

Jeff

Actually, based on technical sheets, PUP has higher Noack than PU, so that's why people are on the hunt to buy out the last remaining stock of PU before PUP takes over.

I scored some kind of PU at walmart for 25 a jug. Don't know if it's SN or SM. Just doing a favor for friend.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
A premium synthetic at close-out prices is another reason BITOG'ers are on the hunt for PU.

I m planning a U.S trip shortly,might stockpile ultra. What is the typical shelf life for motor oil?

Originally Posted By: rikstaker
What is the typical shelf life for motor oil?

Depends on how sturdy the shelf is.
smile.gif

Presuming it's stored in a controlled environment, I'd guess 10+ years, but most oil manufacturers seem to claim about half that.

Originally Posted By: PeterGreen
For high Noack oils, shelf life is much higher, but be sure not to store it near any magnetic forces.

I assume you are joking?

How do I tell the difference between the PU SM and SN version?

I bought PU a few weeks ago when my oil change was due and got the regular PU at Autozone. How do I know which "version" I got?

If it was the regular PU, not PUP, should I go buy up as much of it as I can before it's gone? Might hit up a Walmart this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back