How Often Do You Replace Carpet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
We bought the house 16.5 years ago, the carpet was at least 8-10 years old at that time. We had it professional cleaned before we moved in. Since then we vacuum every week, since we have 2 dogs for 5-6 years the carpet looks dirtier every year now.

Some years ago my wife borrowed her brother carpet washer once a year, she then borrowed her friend every 6-7 months. The carpet condition was okay, not looking like new but not too dirty after each wash.

Couple weeks ago I bought Hoover MaxExtract Dual V Carpet Cleaner, it did fairly good job clean up the carpet after about 1.5 years without any washing.

Looking at the carpet right now, it looks like 28-30 years old is about as long as one can have it. The house size is 2800 sq-ft, carpet area is about 1800-2000 sq-ft. How much should I expect to pay for a good installed carpet and padding ? $6000 to $8000 or more ?

The 44 years old house needs a lot of works, thinking remodeling kitchen, bathrooms, replace tile floor and carpet ...

I think having pets really adds to the wear. I never liked carpeting (allergies etc..) but they have their place in some areas.

Here in FL that carpet would probably have 100Lbs of sand ground into it after that many years.
eek.gif

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Couple weeks ago I bought Hoover MaxExtract Dual V Carpet Cleaner, it did fairly good job clean up the carpet after about 1.5 years without any washing.

I had one of those exact models. All of the various plastic parts on slowly started to break. Hoover wants and arm and a leg for replacement parts. Pitched it.

Bought another Hoover to replace it. It leaked like a sieve right out of the box. Returned it.

Bought a Rug Doctor and have been living a happy life ever since.

If you can, return the Hoover and get a Rug Doctor or Bissel Big Green Machine.

you should see if there are any auto shows or other local events. you can get their used carpet cheap. ask around at carpet places and find a local installer looking for extra cash. you will have to pick up carpet but installer can do it w their truck. i replaced water damaged carpet in my basement, with pad and labor for $700 and it was new carpet. if you are willing to rip up carpet yourself (get one of those bagsters at lowes or HD for $100) and i cant see why you would pay more than $4000 for new carpet. get auto show carpet (which will be all of 10 days old) and you should spend about $3,000 max.

My wife found a deal on a roll of Belliago carpet for approx $20.00 a square and we replaced about the the size you are looking to do. Man that was heavy carpet and the padding was the heavy duty type. It was shipped directly from the factory in Georgia to a terminal here in Sacramento then delivered to the house. This was done about five hears ago so I am sure things have gone up since.

Cheers
B

My parents house was built in '76, they are just now replacing the original shag in the bedrooms & office. Also redoing the hall, basement stairs, and great room. Similar sizing to what the op states, estimate is around $5,400

Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I had one of those exact models. All of the various plastic parts on slowly started to break. Hoover wants and arm and a leg for replacement parts. Pitched it.

Bought another Hoover to replace it. It leaked like a sieve right out of the box. Returned it.

Bought a Rug Doctor and have been living a happy life ever since.

If you can, return the Hoover and get a Rug Doctor or Bissel Big Green Machine.

I bought it from Amazon warehouse deal for only $50, it was "Used as New" deal, the box has a 2" hole so Aamzon discounts $100 from regular price of $170, the liquid bottle leaked and they discount another $20. For $50 I don't think there is a better one.

I thought about Bissell Big Green, it's more than $400. At the time I bought the Hoover MaxExtract Dual V I wasn't sure if I will replace carpet soon or not, I bought that Hoover to try and see if it will clean the dirty old carpet or not. It is cleaner now than before washed but 30 years old carpet can't look as good as newer one.

When this Hoover died few years later I probably will buy the Bissell Big Green, it's the best customer review on Amazon and looks sturdy.

The Hoover cleaners of my BIL and my wife's friend are still working. But keep borrowing either one every 5-6 months is not very nice, that why I bought mine.

So, if I look hard enough I may be able to have a good carpet and padding for less than $6000 installed.

It depends upon the quality of the carpet and the room that it's in.

We have hardwoods and tile throughout most of the house, the exception being the bedrooms. In our master bedroom the carpet still looks great after almost 20 years-I clean it once every year or two with our Rug Doctor.

The carpet in our two spare bedrooms and the bedroom that doubles as my office is the same age, but since the rooms don't get used as often it's only cleaned once every few years. The carpet in the bedrooms still looks like new, the room that I use for my office shows some light wear around my desk.

While I like carpet in bedrooms, I much prefer hard surfaced flooring for the rest of the house.

In 30 years living in our home, we've replace the living room carpet 3X, and the bedrooms all 2X

Our family room(finished basement) has seen 3 carpets as well and now, a linolium floor.

Replaced the tile in the Kitchen 1x and front enterence 1x

Bathroom is ready for another tile floor only due to...we don't like the tile that's in there any longer

2nd bathroom(off of the family room/laundry room) has seen various types of flooring...some experimental!
smile.gif

Last edited:
Just dropped a whole lot on new carpet for the MBR in our hut. Good carpet is staggeringly expensive, cheap carpet is simply not worth the effort to rip it out and replace it IMO. I hope this may be the last time I buy it!

As an aside, I cannot believe how folks will brag about how many years they go between cleanings. Ewwww...

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I've completely given up on wall to wall carpet.

I now prefer tile, with area rugs that get thrown out when necessary.

You and many others. Carpet sales are slipping due to all the hard floor options available. Just note that the old wive's tale about indoor air quality relative to carpet is baloney.

My house is mostly knotty Maple floor, I love it. We do the same with cheap colorful rugs we get from the home stores on sale, then just discard if they look old.

We actually clean more Ceramic Tile and Grout than carpets in my biz these days...

I don't mind carpet but I have no love for cleaning it. And since I'm the one who does vacuuming and sweeping, I'd rather not have carpet.

But I suspect that carpet is probably hiding lots of ugly woodwork on my stairs!

I kind of wish we had carpet in the living room, just for padding for the boys, but on the other hand, the living room and furniture isn't supposed to be the back drop for a WWE session either...
We just have area rugs in the house, and I kind of like the feel of good carpet at my parents place, but that was put in after us kids were gone, and for good reason...

That's another reason, kids are going to wear stuff out.

Actually, not quite true. The kids bounce off the cheapo sofa, but we bought it for that. Wife and kids remove their shoes in the house. Me, I refuse; I pay for it and I'll wear what I want in the house! Hate going barefoot. Little easier to sweep up the messes I make vs vacuuming.

44 year old house + needs lots of work = a) rent house ( from reading bitog, it seems there are lots of people willing to spend their money building your wealth), or b) dozer.

I think somebody told me that most carpet gets replaced every 5 or 10 years, but I'm sure this has a lot to do with the location, traffic, and of course the quality of the carpet.

I wouldn't feel bad about replacing carpet that old, but I am considering wood or laminate for a lot of the public area of my house.

Ours is 19 yrs old. It still looks OK. It's the original/contractor carpet. We vacuum the main floor every day, and never wear our shoes inside. We do have a dog for the last 5 years. We will need replacing sometime soon. The pad underneath must be deteriorating -- as there are "balls" that we step on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back