all cars have backup cameras in 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Wow!

Another dumbing down of the driving experience.

Yeah, like turn signals, emergency brakes and safety glass.

Wow!

How is it dumbing down? All cars have legitimate huge blindspots behind them, especially with some of the modern styling "requirements". Mirrors can only do so much.

Wow!

Tell that to the parent's that ACCIDENTALLY backed over their own children where a backup camera could have possibly prevented that accident.

Some friends of mine and I were just talking about this.

Consider the options here:

1. Require all vehicles to have backup cameras.
2. Make it harder for people to buy and drive vehicles with terrible rear visibility.
3. Continue to let innocent kids die because the people around them are idiots.

There's no question that this kind of regulation sucks. The question is whether it's worse than the alternative.

I have one in the rear view mirror of my Avalon. It is really nice to have when parallel parking as it shows you exactly how close you can come before touching the car behind you. It really gives you a view you cannot get by looking over your shoulder.

It was standard equipment.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I guess for what they cost to implement $10-20-30? Its probably worth the savings in bumps and scrapes saved just in parking...

If that's all it costs no complaints here. The only thing is it makes people think less about driving and rely more on these gizmos instead.

My fear with things like this, is people become dependent on them. I think things like lane departure warning and collision avoidance can encourage people to be distracted or even lazy when it comes to driving. I think a lot of these safety devices will help good drivers be safer, but I also think it helps bad drivers to make more mistakes.

Wow!

I thought the same thing but I guarantee once you get one. You will like it.

Originally Posted By: whip
My fear with things like this, is people become dependent on them. I think things like lane departure warning and collision avoidance can encourage people to be distracted or even lazy when it comes to driving. I think a lot of these safety devices will help good drivers be safer, but I also think it helps bad drivers to make more mistakes.

You obviously don't have one. It shows you a view of what is behind you that is less than 3 feet high which is impossible to see from the drivers seat. So your fear is not well founded.

Would a backup camera really fall into that category? Being too dependent on lane departure warning could make you less aware of your surroundings. What would be the problem with being too dependent on a rear view camera?

Many late model cars have such poor outward visibility, I' m surprised something has not been mandated before now.

Now, what to do about Honking great 'A' pillars?

Nearly hit a child a few weeks back, hidden in the 'A' pillar /rear view mirror blind spot of our Matrix!

Give three solid facts why this isn't a good idea.

Some preemptive responses:

Conspiratorial drivel about more government control in your life is ridiculous. Get a life.

This makes drivers dumber is a load of bull. Unless you've got x-ray vision, you can't see what a rear-facing camera can see. Unless you do a walk-around every time you back up, you're part of the dumb driving masses too. You're probably the same person who thinks ABS, stability control, AWD, auto headlamps, DRLs, right side rearview mirrors, tire pressure monitoring, and every other safety function also "dumbs down" the driving experience. If this sounds like you: Stop being obtuse.

Yes, today's cars have poor sight lines and rearward visibility. That's also why they do well in crash tests. You want good side impact? You get a high beltline. You want good rollover strength? You get big pillars. This isn't changing, live with it. Again, you don't have x-ray vision.

No, it is not expensive. The camera is the least expensive item in this system. The bulk of the cost is the large screen, full color displays. Now that all but the most base model cars have these displays, implementation of the camera is trivial. By 2018, such displays will even be more ubiquitous, further mitigating costs. Most models today have a camera as an option, so the engineering cost is already baked in. It's just a matter of raw piece price, which will go down as adoption rises.

Funny story about that...merging onto the highway.

Right is clear for me but I merge close to a car in the left lane. Close enough I could see his blind spot light go off on his mirror. Wouldn't ya know it he tries switching lanes into me anyway.

My horn plus the electronic buzzer that should have told him not to do it gave him a good startle.

I would really appreciate it on the Forester. Once you close to 5-6 feet you can't see much behind you any more, children especially.

Last edited:
I don't need no stinking back-up camera. One camera is enough!

wink.gif

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
What would be the problem with being too dependent on a rear view camera?

people could back up using the camera only, and they hit something beyond the camera view. Like I said, a good driver will use all of the tolls to be better, but a bad/lazy driver will just get worse.

Originally Posted By: Doog
You obviously don't have one. It shows you a view of what is behind you that is less than 3 feet high which is impossible to see from the drivers seat. So your fear is not well founded.

I guess the scenario above could never happen, so I retract everything I said.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d

Would a backup camera really fall into that category? Being too dependent on lane departure warning could make you less aware of your surroundings. What would be the problem with being too dependent on a rear view camera?

How about stupid people just looking at the camera when backing out but ignoring the surroundings? These cameras won't show you a kid approaching on a bicycle from the side until it's too late.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
How about stupid people just looking at the camera when backing out but ignoring the surroundings? These cameras won't show you a kid approaching on a bicycle from the side until it's too late.

Fair point, but could you really expect looking back to be any better? C-pillars are really, really thick these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back