The best built oil filter in your opinion ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although you said price is no object, at ~$7.50 per filter out the door, I believe the Fram Ultra the best all around filter for performance and physical construction. I sacrificed a new XG2 (Ford Modular Filter) some time ago and it was built like a tank inside. I have no doubts the pleats will be perfectly straight even after using it for the full 15K.

I found a guy on ebay that ships 4 Ultras for around $30 so I bought 4 for each of his cars from him. Great deal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/171271081873?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/sch/tc14jr/m.html?item=171271081873&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

I would have to say the Fram Ultra.

The Ultras also seems to be the best value. I kind of wish I didn't have a stash of WIX and M1's so I would feel less guilty trying one out.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What's wrong with bent/wavy pleats?

Actually, I'd like to know as well. Are we talking about an actual deficiency in filtering, or is this just a cosmetic issue?

The op expects a filter to be in pristine shape after going many miles doing its job
There are many issues going on here

Originally Posted By: mjk
Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
What's wrong with bent/wavy pleats?

Actually, I'd like to know as well. Are we talking about an actual deficiency in filtering, or is this just a cosmetic issue?
+1

Failed ADBVs, torn media - these are things to be concerned of. A pleat being 1 mm more to the left is nothing to be concerned of.

Actually, if you're still set on 2k mile change intervals any filter you choose will likely hold up to your standards of no wavy pleats.

That's assuming that your engine doesn't have any varnish in it.

Have all of you guys noticed the amazing insoluble rating the Fram Ultras are getting in UOAs? If they have that kind of capacity and can produce insoluble ratings of Trace to 0.1 they are the best bang for the buck IMHO.

^^^ Sounds like the Fram Ultra is indeed "ultra" in almost every way. IMO, Fram hit a solid home run with that filter.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Hey, I'm drumming up stuff for us to talk about. You could call me a conversation machine.
grin2.gif

Only women and small children makeup conversation topics to hear themselves talk.

Daydreaming aloud and having no skin in the game is counterproductive.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
^^^ Sounds like the Fram Ultra is indeed "ultra" in almost every way. IMO, Fram hit a solid home run with that filter.

Ssshhh....don't tell anyone, and it can't be that good because Fram is stamped on it.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
i wont use fram anything!

I know it those [censored] ocod filters, especially the ultra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back