Glock compact or sub compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only personal experience in my case....and it was only once.

I wholeheartedly agree with zero restrictions on magazine capacity and I have many firearms with much more than ten round capacity. I think there's a limit to what MOST people can carry comfortably and sensibly....more than that and MOST people only carry when they feel they need to, not all of the time. The one time someone needs a firearm may be the one time they are not carrying.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
why would you need to carry while jogging? I'd use a NAA mini if I did that
You've never watched the news?

Originally Posted By: hatt
You've never watched the news?

no, was there a story on NAA minis?

My friend got tackled off his bike by two muggers once. They started beating the [censored] out of him till be pulled his piece and they took off. Criminals are not usually the most stable, sane, or clever people.

Originally Posted By: Robenstein

My friend got tackled off his bike by two muggers once. They started beating the [censored] out of him till be pulled his piece and they took off. Criminals are not usually the most stable, sane, or clever people.

that's my recommendation, a NAA mini or similar on a neck holster. it's no good if you can't draw it quickly. I do not recommend a .25ACP of any sort. a 22mag in the mini will work. it's also very safe to carry because the cylinder sits in a notch between rounds. it can't go off

Full disclosure: I own quite a few Glocks. It is our departmental issue. I have been a Glock certified armorer since 1995.

I carry the 19 on-duty. The 26 is our back-up.

Off duty I carry the 26 exclusively. If I need "more" ammo, any longer mazazine will fit into the 26, so that's not an issue.

I will note that the "need" for ammo capacity is directly related to two things:
1) are you a person that has to stay in the fight to apprehend someone? (law enforcement). If you are not, then you only need a few well-placed shots to stop the immediate threat, or perhaps run for defensive cover until LE arrives.
2) are you a decent shot, meaning you'll not have a lot of misplaced rounds? Most folks miss, frequently, when the manure meets the mechanical blades. If you practice in high-stress situations, that can reduce your "need" for more rounds.

The 26 has 10+1 capacity; that's plenty for a typical civilian encounter, which has a very low average shots-fired count. Interestingly we don't hear of guys carrying a 5-shot J-frame whining about their limited capacity, but for some reason it is always a topic with pistol guys, who can never seem to get enough. And as I said, you can carry more if you think you need more ...

The 26 is more than accurate enough, despite it's shorter bbl. I qualify with my 26 on the very same course as I do my 19, every year. I shoot just as well with the small one as the mid-size. Really does not matter; my point is that the 26 is plenty accurate, so size is not an issue when it comes to accuracy. It may be a matter of YOUR SKILL with a smaller gun, but the gun itself is plenty accuract for the task.

I recommend the 26 for overall use. It fills the most roles with the least intrusion, and genearlly has no downside because you can always put a longer mag in it, and it's more accurate than you are.

Last edited:

Here are 5 cases of joggers getting attacked by thugs / dangerous dogs. There are hundreds, perhaps thousands of cases annually, just in the United States of similar situations. That is why it is smart to carry while jogging.

http://www.kmov.com/news/local/1-dead-2-...-224987592.html

http://www.wmctv.com/story/16357514/man-arrested-in-attempted-arlington-kidnapping

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9456226

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=9394713

http://www.wcnc.com/news/crime/2-joggers-attacked-in-south-Charlotte-248613171.html

Originally Posted By: buck91
Looking at my first CCW handgun and I'm torn between the Glock compact and subcompact models. Will be used for EDC

Smaller guns get carried a lot more than larger guns. And the point of concealed carry is to ALWAYS have a gun. You just won’t know if today is THE day or not. Get the smaller gun for carry. You may find that it is still too big/uncomfortable and wished that you bought a j-frame or single stack.

Will be used for jogging/biking

You won’t jog for very long with a compact/subcompact Glock. Too heavy and large. Will need a NNA mini revolver or Ruger LCP at the largest.

Will be used for home defense. At home it will be a night stand gun.

If you can afford more than one handgun, the full size guns are better for night stand use. They offer quicker follow up shots, more capacity, and slightly better ballistics. A railed handgun with a flashlight mounted is essential kit in my home. Back the handgun up with the 12 gauge or self-loading rifle of your choice.

Originally Posted By: Fleetmon
I can tell you from personal experience that YOUR attorney WILL drain your bank account. And, anyone that thinks they'll need more than ten rounds is not in a gun battle, they're in a war. You will not only lose your money, you will lose your firearms for a while, probably your freedom for at least a little while and you will spend more time defending yourself than you ever thought possible no matter how justifiable the shooting was.

I would rather be ALIVE and broke and facing potential prosecution than dead and 6 feet under. Your argument is invalid.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Please let us know if you get into a gun fight in a crowd. Would like to know how many rounds spent, did target fall, and how you and your lawyer are doing in regards to fees. Even when your right,,,it is still expensive.

If you hate guns so much, why even bother posting in the gun forum? Move along, the adults are having a civil, educated conversation.

I wasn't arguing and I lost a family member because a firearm was twenty feet away instead of on my person. I carry 100% of the time.....now.

What I was trying to say is there is really no such thing as a justifiable shooting in the eyes of the plaintiffs attorney. You fired therefore you're guilty of "whatever".

Would I do it again....you bet I would....however, my aim is much improved now so I don't have to worry as much about the lengthy aftermath.

Just when you think a "justifiable" shooting is over it's just getting started. You defend yourself with everything you've earned and everything you've purchased just to be found Not Guilty By Reason, then it takes about one year to get your firearms back (forget the ammo since it was destroyed for safety reasons), then the civil lawsuits begin and once found not responsible by actions caused by others, then the harrassment starts, then the vehicle damage (at the mall, at the grocery store, at your home), then the vandalism starts and you finally move away so you don't end up doing something stupid and end up spending the remainder of your life behind bars.

I'm just reinforcing what CourierDriver referred to as to what your attorney will require. I strongly believe in defending yourself and I carry EVERYWHERE and ALL OF THE TIME.....just realize it's not going to be a cakewalk if and when you have to resort to self defense.

Last edited:
My main carry is a G30SF. My most-used alternate carry is a G23. Of the two, the 23 has a little bit more narrow slide and is a more comfortable carry. I am 6'2" and 240. I carry IWB at 3 to 3:30.

I also have an LC9 that I enjoy carrying when I dress in such a fashion as to need something smaller. The LC9 is my car gun when I can't carry my other pistols, and is the only gun I have that fits in my small console or can comfortably slip between the seat and console.

I've never been in a gunfight, so it's all a big guess for me. But if it ever does happen I'd bet it's gonna be very dynamic and fluid. I'd rather have a handful of quality slugs flying fast and accurate than anything else. But that's more me than what I carry. I practice to be good with each of them.

maybe a treadmill would be safer then

So would not ever leaving the house. Risk is attached to everything in life (even staying in the house forever). Some of us choose to help balance that risk with certain measures of personal protection. Others don't.

Neither is right or wrong...it's all about what works for you.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Full disclosure: I own quite a few Glocks. It is our departmental issue. I have been a Glock certified armorer since 1995.

I carry the 19 on-duty. The 26 is our back-up.

Off duty I carry the 26 exclusively. If I need "more" ammo, any longer mazazine will fit into the 26, so that's not an issue.

I will note that the "need" for ammo capacity is directly related to two things:
1) are you a person that has to stay in the fight to apprehend someone? (law enforcement). If you are not, then you only need a few well-placed shots to stop the immediate threat, or perhaps run for defensive cover until LE arrives.
2) are you a decent shot, meaning you'll not have a lot of misplaced rounds? Most folks miss, frequently, when the manure meets the mechanical blades. If you practice in high-stress situations, that can reduce your "need" for more rounds.

If you're good enough to "only need a few well-placed shots" under intense stress you're probably not getting advice off the internet. Everyone else, including almost all LEO, need all the rounds they can reasonably muster. You don't hear guys whining about J frame capacity because they're aware of the tradeoff to have that package. If there were a J frame that held 30 rounds of 5.56 they'd get that one.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The 26 has 10+1 capacity; that's plenty for a typical civilian encounter, which has a very low average shots-fired count. Interestingly we don't hear of guys carrying a 5-shot J-frame whining about their limited capacity, but for some reason it is always a topic with pistol guys, who can never seem to get enough. And as I said, you can carry more if you think you need more ...

The 26 is more than accurate enough, despite it's shorter bbl. I qualify with my 26 on the very same course as I do my 19, every year. I shoot just as well with the small one as the mid-size. Really does not matter; my point is that the 26 is plenty accurate, so size is not an issue when it comes to accuracy. It may be a matter of YOUR SKILL with a smaller gun, but the gun itself is plenty accuract for the task.

I recommend the 26 for overall use. It fills the most roles with the least intrusion, and genearlly has no downside because you can always put a longer mag in it, and it's more accurate than you are.

Dnewton3 - I respect your opinion and your experience. But I think that your assessment of the "need" in "civilian" encounters is predicated on a narrow set of assumption. The number of rounds fired in a typical encounter with LE is much higher precisely because LE carry high-cap duty weapons. They have more rounds available. As an example, in this shooting: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2012_Empire_State_Building_shooting - the NYPD officers in the incident (ostensibly trained, with reasonably accuracy, right?) fired 16 rounds to bring down one threatening suspect. They hit 9 bystanders.

This is a common result in LE force on force encounters: multiple officers firing multiple rounds. Literally dozens of rounds downrange against a suspect. It wasn't that way when the S&W Model 66 was the standard, but since the Glock revolution in the 80s, the number of rounds in a typical encounter has gone way up.

So, presuming that a "civilian" needs fewer rounds because they don't need to stay in the fight just doesn't make sense to me. The fight came to the civilian/CCW...so, they may, or may not, have the choice in withdrawing. They may face more than one threat. Fewer shots fired is not a way to validate the nature of the potential encounter.

If two trained LEOs need 16 rounds to take down one suspect, then why would a lone CCW need fewer rounds vs. one suspect? Is the CCW a more accurate shot? Better trained? Using better ammo? Facing a lesser threat?

The 19 that you carry holds 15+1. Seems a reasonable amount, but I would always have an extra mag. Were I to buy a CCW weapon (full disclosure, my duty weapon is an H&K USP Compact in .40, 12+1 and I carry 2 spare mags, 37 rounds total) that was only carrying 10 rounds, I would have at least an extra mag.

Further, "high stress" training isn't available to everyone. It should be. And judgement shooting (which takes a sophisticated visual set-up, which = $$$, in which a scenario plays out in front of you and you have to chose when/where/if you shoot) is perhaps the best next phase after marksmanship. I am fortunate to have that training, but it's simply not available. So, is it reasonable to assume that our CCW is going to respond as well as someone, like you, or another trained professional, that has that high stress training?

Last edited:
Law enforcement bias. "I need it, you don't." The notion that the police need 18 rounds and 3 reloads and body armor and backup and a carbine but Joe Citizen needs 5-6 rounds and a cell phone that'll get the police there in 5 to 30 minutes is ludicrous. Joe walks the same streets as LEO.

Originally Posted By: hatt
Law enforcement bias. "I need it, you don't." The notion that the police need 18 rounds and 3 reloads and body armor and backup and a carbine but Joe Citizen needs 5-6 rounds and a cell phone that'll get the police there in 5 to 30 minutes is ludicrous. Joe walks the same streets as LEO.

yes that's right, and the situations are exactly the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back