F1 - 2014 Bahrain Grand Prix

Status
Not open for further replies.
Next up, Bahrain. If the cars could survive the heat, humidity, and rain of Malaysia running in Bahrain at dusk should be pretty easy in comparison.

WEEKEND SCHEDULE

Fri 04 April 2014

Practice 1 07:00 - 08:30
Practice 2 11:00 - 12:30

Sat 05 April 2014
Practice 3 08:00 - 09:00
Qualifying 11:00

Sun 06 April 2014
Race 11:00

US TV Schedule:
Friday, April 4 - 11:00 a.m. -- Bahrain Grand Prix - Practice #2 (NBCSN)
Saturday, April 5 - 11:00 a.m. -- Bahrain Grand Prix - Qualifying (CNBC)
Sunday, April 6 - 10:30 a.m. -- Bahrain Grand Prix - Race (NBCSN)

CIRCUIT INFO

Lap data
Lap length 5.412km (3.363 miles)
Race laps 57
Race distance 308.238km (191.53 miles)
Pole position Left-hand side of the track
Lap record* 1’31.447 (213.055 kph) by Pedro de la Rosa, 2005
Fastest lap 1’29.527 (217.624 kph) by Mark Webber, 2005
DRS zone/s (race) Pit straight

Car performance
Full throttle 70%
Downforce level Medium
Gear changes per lap 52
Fuel use per lap 2.7kg

Strategy
Pit lane time loss 22 seconds
2012 prime tyre**: Medium
2012 option tyre**: Soft

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D585rfPapE

bahrain_2012.jpg

2012_Bahrain_Grand_Prix_2.jpg

Hat tip to A2 on S2Ki for the content.

Last edited:
Malaysia was a yawn-fest. 7 cars retired and then pretty much nothing happened save for the wheel/tire oops with Red Bull (for which they were penalized).

Agree it was rather boring.

Not sure I like how freely penalties are handed out. K-Mag's incident with Kimi wasn't malicious contact (although he did a good job working his way back afterward). No teams wants anything to happen that cuts into their track position and the results of what happened to Ricciardo put him in last place even without penalties. So why pile on? Now he has a grid penalty for Bahrain on top of it.

Last edited:
Force India surprised me this past race. If they can keep challenging the big-dogs, the season might get interesting by the second-half.

gofast182,

The reason for piling on RIC with the 10-place penalty is the fact that someone being seriously injured or killed from a stray tire is very real, very preventable, & very likely. It's written into the sporting regulations that way this year I believe.

Should've clarified, actually I get the grid penalty at the next GP more than anything. It's stop and hold penalties that seem silly to me after the team(s) have just penalized themselves with the error(s) in the first place.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
gofast182,

The reason for piling on RIC with the 10-place penalty is the fact that someone being seriously injured or killed from a stray tire is very real, very preventable, & very likely. It's written into the sporting regulations that way this year I believe.

The commentators explicitly called that out. I believe someone was injured last year by debris from a botched pit stop.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: benjamming
gofast182,

The commentators explicitly called that out. I believe someone was injured last year by debris from a botched pit stop.

Mark Weber had a tire fall off as he was exiting his pit, and it ran over a camera man. The penalties were warranted.

If the rules are broke, the team should be penalized. The situation shouldn't be a factor.

Last edited:
Understood, and again, no argument here against the grid penalty in the next GP (despite the fact members of the pit crew were signaling for the car not to leave). It's the stop-and-holds in situations like this that I think are pointless.

Last edited:
Red Bull is closing the performance gap to Mercedes faster than I hoped they would. In a few more races, they might be on par for performance.

Williams looked like they had about a 5% fuel consumption advantage at Malaysia. If they can turn that into increased performance, they could be pretty close to the front, too.

Ferrari looks hopeless so far. Alonso is probably making the car look better than it is.

i knew Fred would outperform Kimi at first but i really thought he would be closer. Hope the next races are dry and both can get thru the start without incident, then we'll see true form from Kimi.

About the stricter penalties on unsafe release - needed. you would think it'd be the highest priority anyway but this will make everyone think more, esp the lolli and wheelmen

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Red Bull is closing the performance gap to Mercedes faster than I hoped they would. In a few more races, they might be on par for performance.

Williams looked like they had about a 5% fuel consumption advantage at Malaysia. If they can turn that into increased performance, they could be pretty close to the front, too.

Ferrari looks hopeless so far. Alonso is probably making the car look better than it is.

My thoughts, as well, A_Harman.

I hoped Vettel would be kept at bay longer. Yet at the same time I feel bad for Ricciardo's luck.

I also noticed William's efficiency and think they have speed they aren't showing us yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they creep up to a podium spot within the next three GPs.

Couldn't quite put into words what I thought of Ferrari's status but I think you got it right.

Originally Posted By: gofast182
Should've clarified, actually I get the grid penalty at the next GP more than anything. It's stop and hold penalties that seem silly to me after the team(s) have just penalized themselves with the error(s) in the first place.

Look at it this way. Safety in F1 is good and childish antics are down to a minimum, and sportsmanship is valued. NASCAR antics would cut an F1 driver's career very short, indeed.
wink.gif

And yes, DR seems to have inherited Webber's luck, hasn't he? I feel sorry for Grosjean, actually, and the entire Lotus team, really. He improved so much last year, and the car was competitive, now he's in a bad spot.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Force India surprised me this past race. If they can keep challenging the big-dogs, the season might get interesting by the second-half.

Force India is overdue to be a true contender IMO. I think this year they will really take some big steps.

On another note, did anyone else notice that by the end of the race, Hamilton had used about 4% less fuel than Rosberg, despite finishing quite a bit ahead of him? He was going faster the whole race and progressively using less and less fuel.

I missed that. I was too busy being impressed with the Williams' fuel usage but then thinking they should've been going faster.

Just watching qualifying. FINALLY they showed some in-car camera with the engine speed displayed. Vettel's Renault is being shifted mostly at 11,000 rpm, with min cornering rpm's being ~8600. I only saw 12,000 rpm flash a couple of times in the lower gears.

Just saw some in-car with Hulkenberg. The Mercedes sounds like it's revving higher than the Renault, but I only saw a peak rpm of 12,300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back