Oil Filter Question 18hp Kohler small/medium/long?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello guys. I have been thinking about going with a longer filter and was wondering if it may change the oil pressure or anything else that may be NG? Below is the cross reference data I have found. I think increasing the oil volume is a good thing.
Factory Kohler
1205001 3" x 2.6"
5205002 3" x 3"
277233 3" x 5.1"
Fram
35310 3" x 2.67" (8.5~17) relief valve setting PSI
10241 3" x 3.39" (12)
20195 3" x 4.92" (12)

I use the Motorcraft FL-910s or Napa Gold 1348 filters. They are a bit larger than the Kohler filters, but not as big as the FL-400s size. They are medium sized. They are cheaper than the Kohler filters and are very well made. Some of the Kohler and Briggs filters I have opened looked somewhat cheap inside.

My 25hp Kohler on my John Deere has almost 600 hours using these filters with no issues, and I use the same filters on my grandfather's 18hp Kohler on a Scag commercial mower.

I too have been running a longer filter vs OEM on my 18.5 INTEK and no issues to date oil pressure(i have a PSI gage)is always constant.

Originally Posted By: jess01999
Hello guys. I have been thinking about going with a longer filter and was wondering if it may change the oil pressure or anything else that may be NG? Below is the cross reference data I have found. I think increasing the oil volume is a good thing.
Factory Kohler
1205001 3" x 2.6"
5205002 3" x 3"
277233 3" x 5.1"
Fram
35310 3" x 2.67" (8.5~17) relief valve setting PSI
10241 3" x 3.39" (12)
20195 3" x 4.92" (12)

I made a mistake and posted Purolator #'s instead of the Fram.....I don't have an edit tab for some reason......Frame #'s below

Another good Fram number is a PH3614. It's a little shorter than the PH3600.

Just make sure the bypass pressure is the same, thread pitch/size is the same, and gasket diameter is the same.

My Kohler takes the same filter as my wife's (now sold) PT Cruiser did, and the turbo PT Cruiser filter was a nice longer option for both since all the specs were the same except for filter area.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Just make sure the bypass pressure is the same, thread pitch/size is the same, and gasket diameter is the same.

My Kohler takes the same filter as my wife's (now sold) PT Cruiser did, and the turbo PT Cruiser filter was a nice longer option for both since all the specs were the same except for filter area.

Yes.....my mower takes the same filter as my Sienna and Lexus....I may run the Frame Ultra.....overkill I know but I only have $6.81 in the Ultra.....thanks to $40 off $100 AAP coupon.....

What Kohler 18 are we talking about, Command, Courage, single cyl or V-twin? This can make a difference in regards to what filters will fit.

Courage singles don't quite have the filter options as the twins. If it is a twin or a Command twin, like said, Motorcraft FL400 or equivalent. Some PH8A equivs will even fit depending on the gasket OD.

I always ran FL400 equivs on my Command and Courage V-twins.

Last edited:
Once you have the threads, base plate and bypass PSI to match, I would go with the longest filter that fits in the space provided.

This adds oil capacity, available filtration media surface and cooling. The only downside may be a bit extra cost of the filter and the few ounces of additional oil.

Originally Posted By: JTK
What Kohler 18 are we talking about, Command, Courage, single cyl or V-twin? This can make a difference in regards to what filters will fit.

Courage singles don't quite have the filter options as the twins. If it is a twin or a Command twin, like said, Motorcraft FL400 or equivalent. Some PH8A equivs will even fit depending on the gasket OD.

I always ran FL400 equivs on my Command and Courage V-twins.

It will be the Command. I purchased an Ultra (XG3600) today for $8.97 at Walmart. I know it may be overkill but it is only one time a year so I think its worth it.........and heck the factory Kohler would cost me around the same if not more.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Once you have the threads, base plate and bypass PSI to match, I would go with the longest filter that fits in the space provided.

This adds oil capacity, available filtration media surface and cooling. The only downside may be a bit extra cost of the filter and the few ounces of additional oil.

Exactly what I was thinking. The addtional oil is no big deal......I have to buy 2 quarts and the mower only takes 1.5.......the left over will be for the larger filter and any top off that may be needed late in the season......although I have never had to add any oil (Mobil 1 10W-30).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back