Homebrewed Fuel System/Carb Cleaner Article...

Status
Not open for further replies.

MB2

Hello Everybody...so I found an article in this months issue of "The Horse" with a recipe for a home-brewed fuel system and carb cleaner and I have some questions. I always have questions. So first, here's the recipe...

2 gallons of Kerosene
1 quart of Toluene
1 quart of Naptha
1 quart of Automatic Transmission Fluid
1 bottle of Spectro fuel conditioner

This is meant to be used as both a standalone carb cleaner/degunker and an in tank fuel system cleaner. As an in-tank system cleaner I believe the article recommended a 1 oz/gal dosage, it could have been 1/2 oz per gallon I don't have the article in front of me right now to verify. I'm curious about what the individual chemicals do and what are they being used to accomplish/treat in the fuel. How this would effect octane rating in a tank of gas. Any specific issues this concoction could present if used in a catalytic equipped vehicle?

Also, I was going to make some substitutions for the first batch. I already have two gallons of diesel laying around from this winters torpedo heater fuel that I'd like to get rid of. And the other is, I cannot find the Spectro fuel conditioner anywhere locally what I can find is the Lucas fuel conditioner in the green bottle. I believe it's a 16 oz bottle that's supposed to treat up to 80(?) gallons. I'm not normally a fan of Lucas stuff but I don't want to special order the Spectro unless it's absolutely necessary.

I appreciate any CONSTRUCTIVE insight/info you can give. Thanks in advance for the help.

Kerosene Kills Octane
ATF Kills Octane
Naptha...probably not good for Octane

Toluene higher Octane (109 MON, 120 RON), but won't make up for gallons of Octane Reducers.

I don't think that the recipe holds much merit.

I've got a couple small engine carbs that I'm going to get into and clean with it once I get mixed up. The snowblower surges and doesn't idle like it used to. I'm betting once I get the carb open it'll be gunked up. I'm curious to see how it works as a soak cleaner too, on things that have known issues.

In the more effective fuel system cleaners polyethyl amine (PEA) is the active ingredient. This recipe may be OK as a bath to de-gunk carbs and whatnot, but I wouldn't put much faith in it as an in-tank cleaner.

If it's going to be used as a bath, and the carbs are de-gasketted at the time, then some acetone will help.

I make my own gun cleaner, Ed's Red, and it is very effective on carbon and stuff.

1qt ATF
1qt gum turpentine (not spirit turpentine, the tree based stuff is more solvent)
1 qt Acetone
1 qt kerosene (OP's diesel will work there).

Lanolin (for rust protection on firearms, many leave it out just for solvent).

Shanno:

What is your opinion of using acetone as a fuel injector cleaner and a TCW-3 product for lubrication and etc...?

Originally Posted By: MB2
Shannow -- I thought Acetone was bad for the bluing?

Never seen, and not sure how acetone could affect proper steel bluing...fake (texta/plastic and the like) maybe, and varnish on stock probably doesn't appreciate it in large quantities.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Shanno:

What is your opinion of using acetone as a fuel injector cleaner and a TCW-3 product for lubrication and etc...?

Don't know...I used to use it and MEK as a co-solvent for my ethanol blends before they were available. Melted many many fuel filers, carb floats etc.

not all elastomers like it (Trav posted this in transmissions etc.)
http://www.allorings.com/compatibility.htm

that said, plenty use it, including additive manufacturers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back