'07 Silverado - educate me, please

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just inherited an '07 Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, 4x4. It has the electronic 4wd switch with the Auto setting. I would appreciate any tips from people who are familiar with these trucks: weak points, things to watch, etc. I plan to change all fluids soon, but beyond that, this Mopar guy is like a fish out of water with this thing.
wink.gif

Well the 5.3 is LS based and dead nuts reliable. Should have a 4L60E, don't think they went 6 speed yet. Keep the fluid changed and add an aux cooler. Should treat you right.

Might have the G80 rear end. It is okay, they are known to break when not treated properly or you do a lot of towing.

They are easy on oil and have a huge aftermarket since the 5.3 is just a smaller LS1,LS2,LS3 etc etc.

Plenty of LS engines with high mileage out there. How many miles on this on?

They have a dry intake. No oil or coolant touches it. Dex-cool is fine in these. 5W-30 works well. I run 10W-30 in all mine, but I get it cheap and it does not get cold here.

Some have the steering linkage knock. It is more of an annoyance than a hazard. Some still have piston slap on a cold start. Not an issue, however I doubt by 07 you will have it.

Thanks, Mike. It has 76k miles.

One thing I noticed, checking it over today: I couldn't get a clear reading on the dipstick, no matter how many times I wiped it off and tried again. It looked to be over-filled, but I wasn't sure. Have you noticed this problem on the 5.3?

Not on any of my LS motors. I have a 5.7 and 6.0 but had an 04 5.3. I just put 6 quarts in the 5.7 and 5.3. I does not hurt them. Not necessary, but maybe someone put the extra oil in it?

Do the transmission stuff now. Did they tow with it?

Only 76,000? you have lots of life left in it!

My 07 Sierra always showed slightly overfilled. Next time you do an oil change, just drop in 6 qts and make note where it lands on the stick.

2007 was the change in models.

Five or six speed tranny?

You also may have one already installed...

Late model Silverado
Genuine GM Accessories 19244189 Transmission Cooler Package

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zrxkawboy
I just inherited an '07 Silverado 1500 LT, crew cab, 4x4. It has the electronic 4wd switch with the Auto setting. I would appreciate any tips from people who are familiar with these trucks: weak points, things to watch, etc. I plan to change all fluids soon, but beyond that, this Mopar guy is like a fish out of water with this thing.
wink.gif

We have killed many of these in our fleet. IME the 5.3 is a very reliable engine.

I am almost certain you have the quiet pistons by 07, so you should have no piston slap noise at startup. These engines are NOT hard on oil, just pick up whatever good synth is on sale and run it until the OLM goes off. If you do not know how to reset the olm, just turn on ignition and slowly press the gas pedal to the floor 3 times. It will flash once and then you're done.

I would change all the fluids asap since you don't know the history. Good Luck!

Hello, A friend's Chevy K1500 had little, spring loaded pawls in both axles which swung out to engage 4WD.

They were poorly designed and he changed the differential hardware completely. I have no idea what vintages are involved so look into what hardware you have. Kira

Thanks for the replies. I really appreciate it.

In response to some of the comments:
-It is the newer body style (not Classic).
-4-speed auto trans
-I didn't notice any piston slap.
-According to the window sticker (still in glove box!), it has the towing package. It said this includes "towing equipment" and "locking rear differential". (I didn't look yet, but hopefully this includes a trans cooler.) I don't believe it has ever been used for towing, though.

You probably have the Aux cooler, just look through the grill and see. I alwyas put biggers ones on my 4L60E and 80Es, but if you are not towing often you will be fine. The locking diff, should be the G80. G80 will be in the rpo codes somehwere.

Should bring you years of reliable usage.

Yes, with the amount of miles I will drive it, it should last many years.

One more thing: what does the Z71 package include?

Z71? Not much, lame "upgraded" shocks and a couple of skid plates, oh and stickers.

The option package that counts is the trailer package, that gets you the locking rear and the coolers. Z71 is just meh, I wouldn't pay for it when buying a new truck. For what they charge you can go aftermarket and buy real Bilstein or Fox off road shocks and real skid plates.

BTW nice truck!

Last edited:
If the Auto 4WD is anything like my Envoy was keep it in 2HI unless you really need 4WD. Use 4HI or 4LO if the situation calls for it.

It made some awful sounding noises and jerked a lot in A4WD and you are wasting fuel by spinning the front shaft anyway unless needed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back