Fleetguard or Baldwin-Which is better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to decide which oil filter is best to stay with.My choices are Baldwin or fleetguard.Fleetguard costs a little more and I think has a better filter media.Any concrete information or opinions would be great.Thanks Joe
patriot.gif

Baldwin bought Hastings Filter Company to expand their ability to sell automotive filters a number of years back ( 10 years ago or so). Before that it was more market oriented to the farming and trucking type industry. They are owned by Clarcor.

Fleetguard is owned by Cummins engine Company and that is their main focus, trucking and larger engines. They do build some "small" can filters, especially the popular ones.

Both companies (and Donaldson) use decent media in the automotive filters they build. They don't use the ultra premium media , nor do they use a "standard" media either. However, they do not make every application themselves. In some instances look for country of origin on the filter itself.
wink.gif

However, their main focus is still the larger engine type customers. With Baldwin you have a better chance of finding them at a distributor in smaller towns than Fleetguard. Which is why Baldwin has a broader coverage in general as they "needed" the automotive filters for their distributors in rural area's.

With Fleetguard go to a Cummins engine dealer or a truck dealer. With Baldwin they have a national account program with Kenworth and Peterbilt dealers, along with independent filter distributors.

The main difference is that both companies ( and Donaldson) offer automotive filters in order to complete their product offerings as the automotive industry is not their market focus. (You don't normally see them in auto parts stores in otherwords).

Overall Baldwin, Fleetguard, and Donaldson are a decent/good choice if that's what you want to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back