Cree 9.5w(60w equiv) Led bulb 4.97$ 80CRI YMMV

Status
Not open for further replies.
its back. apparently they have some fresh subsidy money or new fiscal year etc whatever.

back at 4.97$

ONLY the Cree 2700k 80CRI 9.5w (60w equiv) bulb.@home depot.

YMMV by location..

for example summit county(first energy/edison) doesn't have this but 16miles south in AEP(american electric power) territory its pretty widespread

FWIW: these are my favorite bulb as far as price/performance
They work excellent in most fixtures. Their is a dim spot directly on the top of the bulb.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equi...mp;str_nbr=3810

more stats:
10 year warranty.
Brightness: 800 Lumens
Estimated yearly energy cost: $1.14 (based on 3 hours per day, 11 cents kWh. costs depend on rates and use)
Life: 22.8 years (based on 3 hours per day)
Light appearance: 2700K (soft white)
Energy used: 9.5 Watts (equivalent to a 60 watt standard incandescent light bulb)
Lumens per Watt: 84

PS: the 95CRI (40w equiv) are on sale too but still well over 13$ bulb and not nearly as energy efficient. (60w equiv @15ea)
cree 95CRI bulb 6pack 22% off here.

Last edited:
Yeah some have come down real cheap. Ive never seen the high CRI ones in my HD.

When going through WM recently, I saw they had house brand 60W bulbs for $3.44 around here. May be subsidized.

they are not all created equal. also if you have time go watch them being tested and disassembled on youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6DDFRBrSas

that guy has a bunch of reviews.

Its Safe for work, didn't look at all the comments seemed clean.

edit: I cant edit the orginial post but its
22% off the 40w(equiv) 95cri

18% off the 60w(equiv) 95cri

Last edited:
Wow, that 22% off on the TW-series (high CRI) is awesome. I may have to buy that. I already have two of them and like them a lot.

The local power company Southern California Edison subsidized CFL to a tune of 10 cents each for various sizes, 60W - 75W - 100W - 125W - 150W. I wonder when they will start subsidize LED ? If they do bring the price down to 25-50 cents each I will try some.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The local power company Southern California Edison subsidized CFL to a tune of 10 cents each for various sizes, 60W - 75W - 100W - 125W - 150W. I wonder when they will start subsidize LED ? If they do bring the price down to 25-50 cents each I will try some.

wont be happening soon.

regular CFL 2-3$

regular LED =10-14$+

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Prices is $9.97 here.

check in surrounding areas that are served by a different power company

usually separated by county.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Rand
its back. apparently they have some fresh subsidy money or new fiscal year etc whatever.

back at 4.97$

ONLY the Cree 2700k 80CRI 9.5w (60w equiv) bulb.@home depot.

YMMV by location..

for example summit county(first energy/edison) doesn't have this but 16miles south in AEP(american electric power) territory its pretty widespread

FWIW: these are my favorite bulb as far as price/performance
They work excellent in most fixtures. Their is a dim spot directly on the top of the bulb.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Cree-60W-Equi...mp;str_nbr=3810

more stats:
10 year warranty.
Brightness: 800 Lumens
Estimated yearly energy cost: $1.14 (based on 3 hours per day, 11 cents kWh. costs depend on rates and use)
Life: 22.8 years (based on 3 hours per day)
Light appearance: 2700K (soft white)
Energy used: 9.5 Watts (equivalent to a 60 watt standard incandescent light bulb)
Lumens per Watt: 84

PS: the 95CRI (40w equiv) are on sale too but still well over 13$ bulb and not nearly as energy efficient. (60w equiv @15ea)
cree 95CRI bulb 6pack 22% off here.

Question re: LED bulbs. I have seen the term CRI mentioned here often and how it seems to be important to have a high CRI number. Can someone briefly explain what CRI means and how it might be important when shopping for LEDs.

CRI is the color rendering index. It's a measure of how accurately a bulb can reproduce color.

When I replaced the bulbs in our home, the normal Cree bulbs didn't work well in our master bath over the sink-where my wife does her morning routine. I changed them to the Cree TW series which has a higher CRI rating, and she was much happier. The standard Cree bulbs have a CRI of about 80. The TW series has a CRI of 93. The standard bulbs have worked quite well in other locations, but for applying makeup the TW series, with its higher CRI was a better choice for more accurate color rendition.

I will be getting a Cree 100w LED shortly,as the 60w I have is just not bright enough.

Down to $6.97 around me.

I'm waiting for the 1600-lumen 100-watt equivalent LED to drop in price. Two of those are going into a bathroom fixture that is on a decent amount of the day when the 1400-lumen 72-watt incandescents in there burn out.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
CRI is the color rendering index. It's a measure of how accurately a bulb can reproduce color.

When I replaced the bulbs in our home, the normal Cree bulbs didn't work well in our master bath over the sink-where my wife does her morning routine. I changed them to the Cree TW series which has a higher CRI rating, and she was much happier. The standard Cree bulbs have a CRI of about 80. The TW series has a CRI of 93. The standard bulbs have worked quite well in other locations, but for applying makeup the TW series, with its higher CRI was a better choice for more accurate color rendition.

Thank you.

The 40-watt equivs were $3.97 here in Maine. There was a limit of ten and I bought ten then they ran out. Yay for me! Oddly it made economic sense to get an edison base Y-adapter and run two 40 watts instead of one 80-ish.

Higher CRI just looks more pleasant in almost any room. In my family room, the couch color looks "correct" (more like it does in normal daylight). It more closely replicates the appearance of mid-day sunlight, in my opinion. Several people told me they couldn't tell it was NOT an incandescent.

Worth noting is that the Cree bulbs tend to radiate most of their light to the side and downward, which is ideal for creating diffuse light in a lamp with a shade. Other LEDs throw more light upward, which might be preferable depending on the housing or room.

Here is a small write-up I did on the Cree TW earlier this year:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3266944/Cree_TW_LED_lights

i am waiting for 5000k 90+ cri 100w equivilant.
till then forget it.
too expensive and cannot be trusted to pay back in energy savings.
i will just keep using old 4' t12 fixtures with c50 tubes.

I dont like 5000k color. I have a set of 4 3000k t8 tubes in the kitchen and 8 t8 3500k in the basement.

Also have to watch with some bulbs the flicker gives me a migraine.. others not so much.

The HD around here have been offering the Cree Soft White (2700K)60W equivalents for ~$5. I noticed the same 60W equivalent but in Daylight (5000K) 60W for ~$10.

Thats usually because the 2700k bulbs are subsidized.. for example by AEP in the canton ohio area.

Quote:
Question re: LED bulbs. I have seen the term CRI mentioned here often and how it seems to be important to have a high CRI number. Can someone briefly explain what CRI means and how it might be important when shopping for LEDs.

A high CRI is quite important, particularly in bathrooms, vanities and in the kitchen.

I've used high CRI Philips Ultralume 4' tubes here for a few decades now and colors look very natural. So does my face in the bath mirror!

As LED's are rather expensive, I advise checking the CRI before purchase. Otherwise, you may think you got a great deal, but you'll hate the color of the light and so will the Mrs.

Caveat Emptor....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back