Curious question...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading a lot of threads around here and got curious. I have come to the conclusion that Lucas Oil additive is no more than thick "oil" that has very few benefits and MMO is a thin "oil" that is a light "detergent". So what would happen if you took a 5qt oil change (4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine) and used 1qt of Lucas, 1qt of MMO and 3qts of an oil brand of your choosing (let's say 5w-30) and a filter of your choosing? I'm thinking you'd get an unhappy engine and a mess, what are your thoughts? I would never do something like this, but my mind wonders sometimes and this popped into my head....

It would really dilute the add pack, probably the TBN also. Bad idea. The engine would not fail on this but i suspect wear would be higher over time

Originally Posted By: spasm3
It would really dilute the add pack

This was my initial thought but it just sounds bad for the engine either way you look at it I guess.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
I know this is off topic, but just curious, what is your signature referring to?

I stole it from someone. That was his review on a popular motor oil on another site.

36.gif

You seem to have the correct idea about Lucas and MMO. Just choose good quality oil and filter and let them do their jobs. Save the money you would spend on those other products.

I've ran 20% MMO in an OC before in a car I used to have with the other 80% being cheap "synthetic" oil. Went 2k-4k miles on it and drained. Cleaned out that engine and didn't cause any issues besides maybe a little smoke, but I blame the cheap oil it was running with. I went with HM ML the change after and that car ran beautifully and much smoother. I think it depends on the application, because it even says on the bottle of MMO that you can replace 20% of your oil for an entire OC to "clean". I was just curious if having that really thick Lucas mixed with the MMO and other oil if the outcome is thicker than straight oil or thinner. Hope this didn't come off as rude, I promise it isn't intended too.
smile.gif

The mmo was a good additive to use in the 80's and before , to prevent sludge. I used it. Its just not needed with todays oils. Maybe to help clean a car of unknown maintenance. I would not use the lucas under any circumstance, especially with the mmo.

I've been reading a lot of threads around here and got curious. I have come to the conclusion that Lucas Oil additive is no more than thick "oil" that has very few benefits and MMO is a thin "oil" that is a light "detergent". So what would happen if you took a 5qt oil change (4, 6, or 8 cylinder engine) and used 1qt of Lucas, 1qt of MMO and 3qts of an oil brand of your choosing (let's say 5w-30) and a filter of your choosing? I'm thinking you'd get an unhappy engine and a mess, what are your thoughts? I would never do something like this, but my mind wonders sometimes and this popped into my head....

I think you should do it, and report back. Get a UOA.

What is your goal? What are you trying to accomplish?

i have used MMO for over 30 years. ONLY in gasoline, at the called out amount. i would allmost NEVER put in the crankcase. but i have never found a reason to do that. in the gas my engine starts very fast.

Nothing. I said I would never do this I was just curious

I guess they are missing what you wrote!

I understand its just a hypothetical question you asked. My mind comes up with "what ifs" on many subjects too, but I know that does NOT mean I would really want to do any of them. I don't think some here understand that, though.

I always wondered "what if" you were to throw and automatic trans into reverse, at 70mph, LOL.

BUT I WOULD NOT REALLY DO THIS OR SUGGEST IT IN ANY WAY!

Originally Posted By: spasm3
The mmo was a good additive to use in the 80's and before , to prevent sludge. I used it. Its just not needed with todays oils. Maybe to help clean a car of unknown maintenance. I would not use the lucas under any circumstance, especially with the mmo.

This hits the nail on the head

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back