5w20/5w30 Hyundai 2.0T

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
On various Hyundai Forums a dispute has taken form over dealerships and some owners using 5w20 in their Turbos. I know that my om (Santa Fe Sport 2.0T) says nothing concerning 5w20 INSIDE the manual, but on the back cover, the quick reference guide DOES list it as an acceptable viscosity. There is NO mention that this viscosity is for the 2.4 naturally aspirated engine either. Just that 5w20, 5w30, 10w30 are acceptable.

Question: will using a 5w20 harm the engine? Speaking of all types of oil, synthetics, synthetic blends and conventional at 3K mile OCI's.

I personally think this is going to create a mess for Hyundai/Kia. From many reports on forums we know the 2.0t engine is very hard on oil and shears even a tough oil like Rotella T6. So I don't see how long the engines will survive on 5w20. As for what the dealer puts in, I have worked at several dealers and I think they know the least about their product than anyone out there. I for one never take my vehicles to the dealer unless it is a recall or something I can't do because of needing their computer connections. Fuel dilution is another problem with the GDI engine so going down to a 20 weight can't be a good thing. I am not opposed to using 20 weight oil if that is what is recommended as it is in many cars. But that was before the days of severe fuel dilution and does not apply to turbocharged cars that are very hard on oil. If they allowed 5w40 in 2012 in the 2.0t and the engine tore that oil up, I don't see why they would allow 5w20 if they are the ones that have to cover engine damage under warranty. If I owned one I would run Rotella T6 in it or M1 0w40 since in the end it is my car and my investment. Not really too worried about their fuel economy ratings for the govt to approve. More worried about engine wear and longevity personally.

Very few cars in Europe run 5w20 or 0w20.

Ford 1.0 Ecoboost, turbocharged, uses 5w20

Jaguars and i believe Range Rovers and Land Rover vehicle fitted with the 5.0 v8 use 5w20 in NA versions. Not sure about supercharged version.

I would personally not go less than 5w30.

My 2L turbo Genesis Coupe has an oil cap that says use 5w20. The manual says 5w20, 5w30 or 10w40 depending on temperature.

The Hyundai motors do limit boost until the oil temp is up past 150F or so. This is more to protect the turbo though.

No 5w20 in the turbo motors. I work in Hyundai service. Our shop changed our bulk oil from 5w20 to 5w30 when the turbo motors rolled out. 5w30 is preferable in any of the GDI motors, turbo or not.

My thoughts too. Just wondering because as SHOZ has mentioned, some turbos come with a 5w20 oil cap, mine included. Most people will just put in what the cap says.

Here's from my 2010 Owners Manual

2.0 MPI

ILSAC GF3 (API SL or SM) above
SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 or 5W-40

2.0 MPI

API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
Satisfy the requirement of the API or ILSAC classification.
SAE viscosity grade
5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

2.0 MPI

API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
SAE viscosity grade
5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

In 2013 they bumped up the power by 50 hp or so.

2.0 MPI

5W-30 / ACEA A5
If not abailable, refer to the recommended API or ILSAC or ACEA clasification
Classification
API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
ACEA A3 or A5

2.0 MPI
5W-30 / ACEA A5
Classification
API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
ACEA A3 or A5

2014 and 2013 Santa Fe
2.0L turbo

5W-30/ACEA A5
If not abailable, refer to the recommended ACEA clasification and SAE viscosity number
Classification
ACEA A5 or above

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Here's from my 2010 Owners Manual

2.0 MPI

ILSAC GF3 (API SL or SM) above
SAE 5W-20, 5W-30 or 5W-40

2.0 MPI

API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
SAE viscosity grade
5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

2.0 MPI

API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
SAE viscosity grade
5W-20, 5W-30, 5W-40

In 2013 they bumped up the power by 50 hp or so.

2.0 MPI

5W-30 / ACEA A5
Classification
API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
ACEA A3 or A5

2.0 MPI
5W-30 / ACEA A5
Classification
API SL, SM or above
ILSAC GF3, GF4 or above
ACEA A3 or A5

2014 and 2013 Santa Fe
2.0L turbo

5W-30/ACEA A5
If not abailable, refer to the recommended ACEA clasification and SAE viscosity number
Classification
ACEA A5 or above

That power bump seems to be the key...

Yes they saw all the aftermarket tuners were getting an easy 50 hp out of the stock tune so they modified the factory tune. They also added a water/coolant oil cooler on the oil filter mount and raised the boost OK temp to 180F. This proved to be a fail as the oil would never get to 180F so the reflashed them to a 160F boost OK temp. This too is a big problem in Canada in the winter as the oil never hits the 160F mark,

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Yes they saw all the aftermarket tuners were getting an easy 50 hp out of the stock tune so they modified the factory tune. They also added a water/coolant oil cooler on the oil filter mount and raised the boost OK temp to 180F. This proved to be a fail as the oil would never get to 180F so the reflashed them to a 160F boost OK temp. This too is a big problem in Canada in the winter as the oil never hits the 160F mark,

So if it doesnt hit the required temps, wouldn't a xxw20 be appropriate?

Last edited:
5w30 is the recommended oil for the years they are having oil temp problems. I feel the original 5w20 was a mistake on Hyundais part. There are some that run that weight but they are just daily drivers.

That's where my questioning was more geared to, family driven daily drivers using a sub 4k mile oci.

I am not convinced any Hyundia/KIA is really best off with 5w20, even our minivan. I am converting it to 5w30 in a few hundred miles. Will be interesting to see if the UOA improves, wasn't that impressed with the one I did on a top tier synthetic 5w20 although the oil held up fantastic. Just not impressed with the grade in the Hyundai/KIA's although many have run them to very high mileage on it. I just don't think 5w20 is optimum, and optimum is what BITOG is all about, right?

Wouldn't even consider 5w20 in a turbo.

I use M1 0w20 in my Accent. It seems to like it quite well. Got almost 100k miles on it. Uses a 1/2 quart in 7500 miles. No knocking on startup.

I wouldnt have considered it either except that many turbo owners have used it with what appears to be success, now with high miles. My curiosity is just that, mind you, as my inclination is to stay with xx30 for now.

Originally Posted By: salv
No 5w20 in the turbo motors. I work in Hyundai service. Our shop changed our bulk oil from 5w20 to 5w30 when the turbo motors rolled out. 5w30 is preferable in any of the GDI motors, turbo or not.

01.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back