Which oil for me: 2002 Chevy Silverado 5.3l

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone. This is my first time posting on BITOG so i might as well start off by getting your opinions on the oil/filter combo for my truck and my style of driving.
Well i bought a 2002 Chevy Silverado 4x4 5.3l with 180K on the clock. I have no idea what kind of oil combos the previous owner/s have used. On the oil fill tube on the engine it shows that 5w30 is recommended. I have changed the oil twice since i have owned the truck, once at 180k and again 4000 miles later. Both times i have used 5w30 Valvoline Conventional with a Driveworks filter from Advance Auto. My truck is currently at 188,030 so it is time to change the oil again. This time i have bought the same Valvoline conv. and a AcDelco Pf46 filter.

My driving is schedule is basically the same week to week... On Monday/Wednesday/Friday i make about 2-3 5 mile trips for work (Drive 5 miles shut off for a few hours and repeat).
On Tuesday/Thursday i drive about 20 miles to college and about 20 miles back.
On Saturdays i sometimes drive about 50-75 miles to go out and eat and Sundays it usually doesn't move.

I was thinking based on my driving style what would you recommend for the oil that i use? Im open to all suggestions on what you think will work best.

Sounds like you already have a nice plan. I'd probably run a Wix filter, but that is just personal preference. Any API SN conventional should do you well.

You could probably get away with a 5K / 6 month OCI. I would use PYB, although VWB is also good. I would also upgrade the filter to a Fram TG / WIX / or even a AC Delco if they still make your model number with the metal center tube (vs the e-core).

Originally Posted By: gregk24
You could probably get away with a 5K / 6 month OCI. I would use PYB, although VWB is also good. I would also upgrade the filter to a Fram TG / WIX / or even a AC Delco if they still make your model number with the metal center tube (vs the e-core).

Totally agree on the AC filter. If it's a PF46 that is a very good basic filter. If it is the PF46e (ecore), I'd personally pass for one of the others listed above. VWB is a good choice, along with about a dozen other good conventionals. The 5.3 back in 2002 was a great long lasting motor and any quality 5w30 will be fine.

Welcome to BITOG!

Any 5w30 should work fine and using the oil life monitor's suggestions.

However, I would probably use the cheapest synthetic on sale.

Welcome!

Coupons.com has the $5 off Valvoline Maxlife jugs at walmart. Comes out to $12.97 each.

Might have to pick up a couple more.....

If it were mine with unknown history I would use Valvoline Maxlife 5w-30 w/ AC DELCO PF61 (longer version of the PF46).

Wal-Mart has best prices for both.

Trust the Oil Life Monitor. I do on my 2000 Silverado 5.3.

Be aware of the transfer case pump rub issue. Google it.

Thanks everyone! Glad to hear that I am on the right track. I have heard a lot of good things about the Napa Gold filters so more than likely I will pick one of those up for my next filter depending on how I like this AC. I really looked hard at getting the Valv MaxLife this last time while I was in the oil isle but ultimately ended up talking myself out of it. I was unsure if it was a synthetic/syn blend/conventional. I'm not against using a synthetic I just had the idea of "don't change something that is working."

The 3k may be over kill so I may wait another thousand before I do my next change. On the Driveworks filter box it says to do "3month/3000 mile" changes so I have just been changing it. It's not that expensive for the extra piece of mind.
More than likely will be trying the MaxLife in the near future with either an AcDelco or NapaGold filter.
As I have said before I am not against using synthetics but I don't know if I want to take the chance of a oil leak/drip to occur since it is getting a little up in the miles. Still something I would consider.

Just keep running a quality 5w30 like Valvoline using quality filters, and change it using the oil life monitor. If it starts to use or burn oil switch to MaxLife. My brother is on his third 5.3, and they are great motors. They'll outlast the truck that they are in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back