Going to do it! 10,000 mile oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
The F-150 will be due for an oil/filter change here in about 300 miles. Giving up my precious Motorcraft hasn't been easy. The switch to Mobil 1 oil and filters has been on my mind for some time now. The tough part has been talking myself into a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Going to use a Mobil 1 filter this time, but might try a Fram Ultra next time around.

What was your prior OCI, and your driving conditions? Do you plan on doing a midpoint UOA?

I think your engine will be fine. I ran 10,000mi OCI in my 1993 suburban for awhile when my father was dying of cancer and needed alot of care. This was with regular M1 5w-30 and M1 oil filters. I never did a uoa but from what I could tell I believe the M1 still had life left in it after 10,000 mi. My usual OCI was 6,000 mi but I have confidence in M1 at 10,000mi. I started a thread where I posted inside pics of the engine after 295,000mi when I put ported heads on it.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
The F-150 will be due for an oil/filter change here in about 300 miles. Giving up my precious Motorcraft hasn't been easy. The switch to Mobil 1 oil and filters has been on my mind for some time now. The tough part has been talking myself into a 10,000 mile oil change interval. Going to use a Mobil 1 filter this time, but might try a Fram Ultra next time around.

Extended Mobil 1 or Regular formula? Which weight are you using?

Everybody in Europe changes oil once a year, for most people between 8,000 and 12,000. Some of the VW and Vauxhaul / Opel that's GM in the states use a higher spec oil and can go up to 18,000 miles between OCI.

We do not get engine losses due to lubrication problems brought about by the high mileage OCI.

eddie

I've gone over 10k on my F-150 with standard M1 5w-20 and an FL-400S. All highway miles at moderate speeds. No harm.

Yah, my daughter has opted for 10k OCIs for her '06 Corolla, 175K and trouble free since new. Oil these days is so good, and engines so well built..

Speaking from direct experience with the same engine family that you have (only two years newer), you have absolutely nothing to worry about. I have ran a conventional in mine for 10K and M1 AFE for over 15K. You do not need EP to run 10K, I was well over 2.x on my TBN at 15K and AFE (0W-20) produced the best UOA to date.

During the life of my FX4 thus far, I have ran Pennzoil Ultra (5W-20 SM), Mobil Super 5000 (5W-20 SN), and M1 AFE (0W-20 SN). I plan to run M1 from this point forward and have some M1 EP 0W-20 to test next. You can search for my UOA's to see the results.

I ran an FL-820s on the AFE run for over 15K and it looked perfect. I since have switched to a Fram Ultra and will go to 20K depending on the AFE holds up past 15K. Your modular will do a 10K OCI with skipping a single beat.

Went to the auction to help a mate get a replacement car

Found him a nice little Astra estate. 1.6twinport lump, late 2005 registered with 92k.

Full, and i do mean full service history. Cambelt done early at 60k a couple of years ago.

No idea what oil has been used but last service was at 89k in Dec.

Will be getting run on either Mobil 1 0w40 NewLife or Castrol Edge 5w40.

On checking some places list the service interval as 20k/1 yr or 20k/2 yrs.

It has had much shorter ocis, on average around 8k, highest was 11k i think, and this will continue with annual changes or probably 6/7k depending on annual miles, he is moving back to Eire so miles will likely be higher than he did in UK so i reckon two oci a year.

10k oci in a petrol vehicle is very doable imho.

The interval is 16k in the Jag. Which it has stuck to. Obviously at just going past 101k and just over 2 years old it was never in there for long!

But never less than 16k.

My car has always had some hydraulic tappet rattle (lifter rattle US board members call it i believe) on cold start and when parked for more than half an hour or so.

Would it have that if a shorter oci was used?

Who knows, it's used no oil, but that could be being masked by diesel contamination due to the dpf.

But i have normally changed oil midpoint of the service interval since moving to London as i consider the usage harsh.

Oil filters are not available in as many makes as the US.

If i don't know the make i tend not to buy unless really desperate.

Bosch, Hengst, Purolater, Mann, Mahle, Blueprint are all names i trust. Aswell as OE branded filter.

I like my filters to be made in Western Europe/US or similar. Turkish filters, Eastern European filter or Chinese filters are a big no, no.

And never had a car that will accept a K&N filter or i would likely have tried them aswell.

Go for it OP

I have doing 10K OCIs with M1 oils for 36 years. At presant I use MC filters in both Fords. Alls well.

I used 10K miles as my OCI for twenty years on my 89 Accord. Still original engine with like-new fuel economy before I, er, wrecked it in 2012. I used so many different brands of synthetic 10W-30 I lost track. I was using 5W-40 Rotella during the last few years to cut down on consumption from the valve train. That car consumed a little from day one. 353,000 miles on it.

So, I finally broke the compulsion of too-frequent oil changes. When I was in a carpool I used to only change the oil once a year. I used a variety of filters as well; OCOD and other Fram iterations, Bosch, Amsoil, Wix, Mahle, Nippon, Supertech, Purolator, and others whose names I have forgotten.

My 20+ years old 1994 LS400 with 360+k miles has 7-8k/6mo OCI with dino and 15-18k/12mo OCI with syn. Low and mid price filter change interval is once a year.

The valve cover gaskets are original, so I don't know how much vanish under it, the fill hole has baffle so can't see it. But the engine is still running well with long OCI.

10k OCI with synthetic and top of the line filter is piece of cake.

Originally Posted By: EddieCairns
Everybody in Europe changes oil once a year, for most people between 8,000 and 12,000. Some of the VW and Vauxhaul / Opel that's GM in the states use a higher spec oil and can go up to 18,000 miles between OCI.

We do not get engine losses due to lubrication problems brought about by the high mileage OCI.

eddie

Do know if new Vauxhaul and Opel cars are spec'd for Dexos?

My previous oci was 5,000 miles on Motorcraft. I drive 20 miles 1 way to work on mostly semi-rural 2 lane black top roads. Will be using the "EP" version in 5/30. Don't really plan on doing a uoa at this time through out this 10,000 mile cycle, although it would be interesting just to see. May have to re-think that one. My truck has the 4.2 V-6 engine in it with 69,750 miles on it currently. How many of you guys are doing a uoa on a 10,000 mile or less oci?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tig1
I have doing 10K OCIs with M1 oils for 36 years. At presant I use MC filters in both Fords. Alls well.

Tig, the length of time and positive results you have posted about was a large part of my reason in doing this. Thank you!

You will be fine. I believe under the driving conditions you described the factory recommended OCI for this type of driving was 6 months/7.5K miles on API SM/ISLAC GF-4 certified oil.

Thank you 2010_FX4, Tig and DBMaster for sharing your experiences with relatively long oil change intervals. A number of years ago a friend of mine told me that his son bought an F150 and used only Mobil 1. He changed the oil only once a year and apparently many thousands of vehicle owners do the same. No one seems to have heard of any reports of engine damage by doing this. When I bought a used Toyota Sienna about three years ago, I decided to use Mobil 1 Extended Performance and change the oil only once a year. So far, there's been no problems. Oils, filters and engines have very much improved in the last 25 years or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back