Icecream?????????????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am an "Ice Cream-a-holic" & it's so bad, I need to stay away from it.

Gosh I LOVE Ice Cream.........

Maybe that's the reason I woke up so early this morning with a terrible belly ache followed with a ride on the porcelain Honda. Had a bowl of "Ben and Jerry's" last night before bed - oh the humanity.

Originally Posted By: Turk

plus one on that

I never eat store purchased ice cream, and only have a small dish of home made ice cream perhaps once every couple of years. I don't care for the mass of chemicals that are put into most ice cream. For example, I quickly looked up the list of ingredients for a brand of ice cream and found the following.

Quote:
Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Skim Milk, Egg Whites, Soybean Oil, Cocoa (processed with alkali), Contains less than 2 %, of
the following: Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate) Wheat Starch,
Propylene Glycol Mono And Diesters of Fats and Fatty Acids, Natural and Artificial Chocolate Flavor (Contains Natural Dairy Ingredients) Salt,
Egg Yolks, Mono and Diglycerides, Modified Tapioca Starch, Polysorbate 60, Guar Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, Corn Syrup
Solids, Sodium Caseinate (Milk Derivative), Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum))

No thanks.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I never eat store purchased ice cream, and only have a small dish of home made ice cream perhaps once every couple of years. I don't care for the mass of chemicals that are put into most ice cream. For example, I quickly looked up the list of ingredients for a brand of ice cream and found the following.

Quote:
Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid, Skim Milk, Egg Whites, Soybean Oil, Cocoa (processed with alkali), Contains less than 2 %, of
the following: Leavening (Baking Soda, Sodium Acid Pyrophosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate) Wheat Starch,
Propylene Glycol Mono And Diesters of Fats and Fatty Acids, Natural and Artificial Chocolate Flavor (Contains Natural Dairy Ingredients) Salt,
Egg Yolks, Mono and Diglycerides, Modified Tapioca Starch, Polysorbate 60, Guar Gum, Sodium Stearoyl Lactylate, Soy Lecithin, Corn Syrup
Solids, Sodium Caseinate (Milk Derivative), Modified Corn Starch, Xanthan Gum))

No thanks.

You must lead an awful dull life when it comes to eating.

Hello, ...was said, "You must lead an awful dull life when it comes to eating." I respectfully disagree. Knowing what the scoundrels of industry put into our food, drink and environment is a good thing.

Electing to avoid these things is neither dull or undull.
I elect to buy only the minimum cable TV package which includes the computer line.

That doesn't make me dull or cheap. Kira

I agree with Kira and pop. That said, if we're bringing desert to a dinner invitation, and we decide to bring ice cream, I buy turkey hill natural. It's higher priced, but only contains:

CREAM, NONFAT MILK, SUGAR, VANILLA, VANILLA BEAN.

About the same as if we made it at home, except they probably have better mixers and freezers that chill on an optimized rate.

I would like to make my own ice cream, especially now that butter brickle variants are unobtanium.

I suspect it has more to do with the fact that dairy products cause mucus build up. There's nothing earth-shattering about that, it's been known for a long time and doctors regularly tell peolpe with sensitive sinuses to limit their dairy consumption.

It's not from the "mass of chemicals". I take issue with baiting phrases like that. People are way to quick to assume that chemicals = bad, which is laughable because of the fact that everything is a chemical. But hey, if it helps you sleep better at night knowing you're not putting "chemicals" in your body, do whatever you want.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
I agree with Kira and pop. That said, if we're bringing desert to a dinner invitation, and we decide to bring ice cream, I buy turkey hill natural. It's higher priced, but only contains:

About the same as if we made it at home, except they probably have better mixers and freezers that chill on an optimized rate.

I would like to make my own ice cream, especially now that butter brickle variants are unobtanium.
I prefer eating things without all those unnecessary chemicals as well. It does not make it boring at all!

Ice Cream, I scream for Blue Bell. Love the stuff. In moderation of course. Gotta run, and wash up this empty bowl that had a few scoops of Homemade Vanilla in it about 5 minutes ago.

I dont really eat Icecream as I never had a taste for anything sweet.

But.....on a really hot day one of those Icecream sandwiches can be really nice
smile.gif

Love Ice Cream, used to eat lots of it, along with candy bars all the other sweets, now I'm diabetic and its all a no, no.

Headed for 71 yrs now, and "chemicals" are what keep me going.

We use a table top maker. Just sugar vanilla milk, cream. Problem is i like it with less cream , more like and iced milk. My wife likes more cream. I need one small double vat ones.

Originally Posted By: Turk

I have ice cream almost every night after dinner.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Yes... Remember.....

It's just in our last generation that all these chemicals have been introduced! Humans have not had these chemicals... Ever...

Most people don't think of that, but I do. Does anyone else here??

I think a lot of us do. Many don't/don't care at the same time.

Where the reality falls on the range from whole food/paleo only through the mass of synthetic and not naturally present additized foods of modern make isn't necessarily the clearest, IMO. Yes, lots are filled with all kinds of abnormal stuff, but some of those abnormal things are derived from natural sources and may truly be benign. Others may not. I prefer to err on the side of caution whenever possible, though sometimes there is no alternative, and generally anything in moderation or in limited amounts likely is ok. Sure,the FDA and USDA are probably owned by the CEOs of the big food suppliers, and their will is probably done, but I'd imagine that some cursory reasonable study is done to ensure safety. IOW I highly doubt that eating a hot dog wrapped in a Twinkie and washed down with a diet coke is going to instantly shed years off your life, if even minutes, but at the same time, there are plenty of artificial components and others which even if "naturally found" in your food, are probably not there in the same concentrations or manners. Thus it still is IMO, best to err on the side of caution and stay to the side that is as consistent with naturally occurring foods and their finished products, with as few ingredients and as little outside chemistry as possible.

I tend to look at it from a pharmacokinetic perspective. There is a therapeutic dose concentration which needs to be maintained to have any effect. Of course "therapeutic" isn't the right term here, but it's the same concept of quantity of chemical, which at some level does some thing, but is also governed by absorption and excretion rates. So a small, one time thing may never hit any level to be an issue.... But there is a residence time and an absorption/excretion term, as well as a basic understanding of how some of this stuff digests, that must be considered. Since much if that isn't necessarily known, I still err on the side of caution, with the understanding that one dose of anything, within reason, will not inherently have a major effect simply because it can't. The physics of the situation generally is such that there is none.

If you get bored, one can read the back of labels say on a can of progressives soups and make of list of the food additives and look up the definitions,,,it is very revealing all the chemicals in food. If a can says all natural,,beware, its probably not, but it is scary...............

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back