Totally stumped on this HDD replacement in Vizio

Status
Not open for further replies.
Vizio CA24-A4 all in one with a bad hard drive. I've removed every screw from the system, including the monitor. I've poked, pried and prodded but cannot get this thing open. I've replaced 1000 hard drives in my life for both Mac & PC systems but I am totally stumped by this. I know it's easy, but there's a trick to it. I've called Vizio but they won't tell me due to "liability reasons". I've searched Google and Youtube for manuals and videos but they don't exist. The manual from the Vizio support site is useless.

Vizio product specs

IMG_20140323_133454_zpsb935617a.jpg

IMG_20140323_133503_zps1b2c0465.jpg

Looks to me like you need to get some spudgers in there someplace to release the connections that snap the two halves together.

Having never had one of those, I'm just talking out of my [censored] here but it sounds like the screws are just there to keep it together if you drop it. If you were to drop it with the screws out it should open up well enough, but that might break something. Instead, grab the smallest straight screwdriver you have and start poking around the edges to try and release any molded-in plastic clips that to the main work of holding it together.

Perhaps it has a M-SATA SSD?
Essentially a WiFi card looking item, but its an SSD that's plugged into the motherboard.

Other then that, keep researching and spudgering

I'd be willing to bet there are more screws under those rubber feet. That is a common thing to do.

It may also be designed to never come apart without breaking.

I suspect the storage is indeed mSATA or is actually soldered to the motherboard, like what the MacBook Air has.

according to their spec site looks like regular 2.5hdd because it specs upto 1tb storage

how old is it they have a 2 year warranty..

and it seems they run very hot which has killed many hdd (frequent problem)

some also have a 32gb ssd cache.

Last edited:
I googled the problem and its definitely not made to be user replaceable or upgradeable.

couldn't find a single video or site with any info.

just tons of people complaining about wireless accessories not working and bad HDD.

Originally Posted By: Rand
according to their spec site looks like regular 2.5hdd because it specs upto 1tb storage
how old is it they have a 2 year warranty..
and it seems they run very hot which has killed many hdd (frequent problem)
some also have a 32gb ssd cache.

This.
And check under the rubber feet for screws
It has a 2 year warranty, even if your out if it I've had good luck prying warranty aid out of the better computer makers.

Not Dell or HP though.
Especially HP and there Wretched c/s

Have you tried removing the feet yet as others have suggested? Just wondering if there is any update on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back