Oil change & recommendation for 14 Jetta 1.8turbo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I just bought back in early February the new 2014 VW Jetta with the EA888 1.8 turbo engine.

I have 3500 miles on it already as it's my main commute car. The dealership tells me not to come in until 10,000, I said [censored] on a new engine and bedding itself in?

I am going to do the oil change at 5000 miles myself and have piece of mind. What oil brand and why would you recommend it for these new turbo units?

Last edited by a moderator:
I would double check the required specification. It's probably VW 502 00 ... if that is the case 'Mobil1 0w40 Euro' is probably the best value and easiest to find. Good luck and congrats on the new car.

If you were wanting to flush the manufacturing debris maybe you have already done it.

10,000 miles is a lot on a turbocharged engine. I'd probably dump your current fill at 5,000 miles and then try 7,500 with a used oil analysis before pushing it to 10k intervals.

Make sure the oil you use is of the spec that VW requires. Mobil 1 0w-40 may be a good choice.

My guess is that Volkswagen would be calling for a 5w30 504/507 oil in their new small turbo motors. Total Quarts Ineo, Mobil 1 ESP, Motul 504/507, Castrol SLX Professional, Liqui Moly Top Tech 4200, etc..

Welcome to the Forum!

Buy an OEM oil filter from the dealership and change the oil at 5,000 miles between each dealer recommended 10K OCI.

I agree with Doog about Mobil 1 0W-40 to protect your turbo. This is a lightweight 40-weight oil that will eventually perform like a 30-weight as your free-revving engine is tough on any oil maintaining its viscosity over time.

Dealer will not question things as much with an OEM oil filter and the 10K interval is ideally suited for near 100% freeway driving and not for the more realistic driving style of the average driver with 50% + in the city.

I agree with using an OEM oil filter but, would use the factory recommended viscosity that meets the VW specs. (Owners Manual). Since the engines is new, we have little or no information as to whether this engine is hard or easy on oil. We shouldn't assume as this point. Just use the recommended viscosity, an OEM oil filter for the 5K oil change. Ed

Hi all, thanks for all the comments. My wife is out driving the car at the moment.

I looked at the manual last week and it said to use an oil either 5W-40 or 0W-40 as long as it meets VW 502.00 specs

This new engine is a sweet unit and it get's me anywhere between 35-40mpg on the highway, where all it's driving is done.
I will use the OEM filter for sure and I always liked Mobil 1 or Fuchs oils, though I know back home in Europe VW uses Castrol in all its petrol and TDI ranges.

I will go with the 5K oil change for sure for piece of mind
smile.gif

Doesn't this new engine hold something crazy like 6.75 quarts? That's a lot, especially considering it's a 1.8 liter/litre displacement. I bet this engine can safely do 10K oil changes. Me? I'd use Castrol 0W40. The Castrol 0W40 sold at Wal-Mart in 5 quart jugs is made in Germany.

I'd do the first OC at 5K and then go from there.
Mobil 1 0w40 (at WM) is the best value you'll find that meets your specs ($25 for 5 qts is a steal).

Castrol 0w40 or the M1 0w40, same price at WM. I would go with Castrol, nice bottle.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Welcome to the Forum!

Buy an OEM oil filter from the dealership and change the oil at 5,000 miles between each dealer recommended 10K OCI.

I agree with Doog about Mobil 1 0W-40 to protect your turbo. This is a lightweight 40-weight oil that will eventually perform like a 30-weight as your free-revving engine is tough on any oil maintaining its viscosity over time.

Dealer will not question things as much with an OEM oil filter and the 10K interval is ideally suited for near 100% freeway driving and not for the more realistic driving style of the average driver with 50% + in the city.

I like this plan.

Use ecstuning or one of the other good online stores for OEM parts, including filters. Mahle, Mann, and Hengst filters are excellent. I prefer Mahle. The stealership prices will suck.

I'd do 5000 mile OCIs because of concern of deposits forming with 10,000 mile OCIs. I have the car in my signature and have not been able to do longer than around 3700 mile OCIs without varnish forming. Hopefully your engine is not as prone as mine is. Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the link, also wondering where one would get the oil filter socket to remove the plastic oil filter housing. This one is nice and easy to get at as it sits right on top of the block to the front of the engine.

I am leaning towards Mobil 1 as I used it in my 2008 VQ40 Nissan Frontier SE truck and the engine sounded much quieter with it than the dealer supplied Castrol and I gained 2 MPG with it too.

I just now had a quick look at the manual and it said to use a 5W-40 or 5W-30 oil that meets 502.00 VW specs.

Would changing to Mobil 1 0-40 have any adverse effect?

Double check on the amount of oil it requires so you have enough when you do the oil change. As someone else mentioned I think it is just shy of 7 qts. As long as the M1 0w40 has the correct VW spec on the bottle I wouldn't hesitate to use it. It is a very good oil and has a ton of additives in it. Not that there is anything wrong with the Castrol. I have used both and was pleased just the same.

in my 01 jetta 1.8T i used Amsoil 10-30 now called signature series, had close to 300 hp most of its life. traded at 199,xxx for another 1.8T, in an 01 TT this time. using a real synthetic oil is best for the turbo + DI. low noack is important + lo ash for reduced carbon deposits the newer DI engines are known for. europe was supposed to get direct + port injected engines but not the USA just yet. i changed my oil at 10,000 miles. when changes were free i just dumped the new castrol they used as soon as i got home, used it in girlfriends malibu, filled up with AMS. at the time they did not recommend synthetic, check the amsoil specs and compare to any oil, sure it costs more, because its BETTER!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back