Can you feel your engine running ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you're sitting in the driver's seat with your hand on the steering wheel, do you get any sense at all of the engine running? I'm trying to figure out what's considered acceptable and what's considered not acceptable in regards to idle quality. Some people say you're supposed to be able to stand a nickel on its edge on the engine cover and not have it fall over.

when my fit idles (on 87 octane gas), I don't feel the engine vibration at all (other than the tach meter showing the idle rpm).

On the other hand: when my wifey's camry 2AZ-FE idles when hot (on D, brake pedal firmly depressed to keep the car @ a standstill), the vibration can be felt on the steering wheel.

IMHO just different designs and executions of engines (mounting, computer controlled timing and advancement, etc.) that would makes the difference between one car or another in terms of vibration while engine is idling.

Q.

IIRC, the coin standing upright at idle was a BMW V12 thing. Not that other engines can't pull it off, but it's not likely or typical. It's not something I would judge a mainstream engine by.

With my truck, it's highly dependent on operating temp. When I first start it dead cold, I can definitely hear it and feel it slightly through the steering wheel. It has a deeper exhaust note when cold, and while the wheel doesn't shake or anything, I can definitely feel a slight vibration compared to off. After a sustained highway run (say 10-15 minutes) and fully warm, the tach is really the only indicator at idle. The exhaust quiets down a lot unless you are right next to the tailpipe, and idle vibrations are practically imperceptible inside the cab. I still don't think a coin would stand up though even if there was a level surface to put it on. I remember once when I first got it, I accidentally turned the key to start when it was already running because I was used to all the valvetrain noise my Explorer made at idle.

If you're worried about bad motor mounts, those are usually very noticeable. Bad idle would be indicated by the engine not being able to keep steady RPM and usually a noticeable stumble.

Originally Posted By: Quest
when my fit idles (on 87 octane gas), I don't feel the engine vibration at all (other than the tach meter showing the idle rpm).

On the other hand: when my wifey's camry 2AZ-FE idles when hot (on D, brake pedal firmly depressed to keep the car @ a standstill), the vibration can be felt on the steering wheel.

IMHO just different designs and executions of engines (mounting, computer controlled timing and advancement, etc.) that would makes the difference between one car or another in terms of vibration while engine is idling.

Q.

Exactly.
Vehicle design,motor mount condition and a multitude of other factor can contribute to vibration.
That being said my charger vibrates a bit when cold. Less when warm. Not perceptible when warm.

Originally Posted By: Quest

Q.

Our 06 2AZ-FE in camry idles so smooth, I can't tell rather it's really on or not...other then the Rpms, what year is your 2AZ-FE? I mean is it running good? My 1ZZ-FE & 2ZZ-GE at warm idle very smoothly, the 2ZZ-GE is really hard on my brakes when cold idling.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Some people say you're supposed to be able to stand a nickel on its edge on the engine cover and not have it fall over.

I think it was a different, copper based coin of British Denomination, and either a Jag or a Roller that demonstrated it.

In my industrial stuff, 50-60um was about the limit for edgewise coin standing...orientation was a variable, coins would tell you which way they wanted to "accept" vibration

If you lay them flat, they don't fall over, and can tolerate all sorts of stuff.

When the Scirocco's hot, its as smooth as butter..but when its cold and on choke it vibratesa bit.. but I'm startting to suspect the passenger side engine mount and I think cold idle should be smoother with a new bushing in there..

2002 dodge one ton van,,oh yeah,,u can tell the engine is running.
f150 ford,,smooth,but yes, u can feel the engine running or just watch the tach.
2005, L3800,,not so smooth, but ok I guess.

Sometimes in the Cruze, depending on how long it's been on. Definitely in the Fit, as I suspect some of the mounts have play.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
IIRC, the coin standing upright at idle was a BMW V12 thing. Not that other engines can't pull it off, but it's not likely or typical. It's not something I would judge a mainstream engine by.

With my truck, it's highly dependent on operating temp. When I first start it dead cold, I can definitely hear it and feel it slightly through the steering wheel. It has a deeper exhaust note when cold, and while the wheel doesn't shake or anything, I can definitely feel a slight vibration compared to off. After a sustained highway run (say 10-15 minutes) and fully warm, the tach is really the only indicator at idle. The exhaust quiets down a lot unless you are right next to the tailpipe, and idle vibrations are practically imperceptible inside the cab. I still don't think a coin would stand up though even if there was a level surface to put it on. I remember once when I first got it, I accidentally turned the key to start when it was already running because I was used to all the valvetrain noise my Explorer made at idle.

If you're worried about bad motor mounts, those are usually very noticeable. Bad idle would be indicated by the engine not being able to keep steady RPM and usually a noticeable stumble.

I could stand a nickel on edge with my 46 Ford V8 at idle.

Its normal to feel some vibrations, nothing harsh though. My Accord 2.4 has some light vibrations felt through the steering wheel at hot idle in drive.

Our BMW diesel vibrates via the steering wheel and you could probably shake up a batch of Martinis in the Jeep and when cold, the Dakota has a "buzz" in the dash somewhere.

my trailblazer idles very quiet with no vibration. if you did not see the rpms on the gauge, you would not know if the motor was running.

Last edited:
Both of them shudder a bit. Not constantly, almost like they are dropping a cylinder here and there, but not nearly that bad, just enough to feel.
Both make enough noise that it does not matter anyway. The CVPI because of a total lack of sound insulation and the CVLX due to the aftermarket exhaust system.

Now that's a smooth engine!

I can't feel any vibration in either of my Lexus when idling. Smooth as glass, not as smooth as the LS though.

That car starting while balancing the coin was amazing. I have never seen an engine mount so strong as to hold the engine at stand still while the engine is being cranked at started.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back