FP+, FP60 and other direct injection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ndx

Hi Guys,

What is your opinion on continusly using adsatives like FP or RLI

Car that I have in mind is 2011 Porsche Cayenne V8, Direct injection
3 fuel pumps to protect....

Any deposits from these adattives or seal issues ?

Thx

I've seen claims that some adds survive combustion and can clean some other way (EGR?).

Not sure I buy it. Still, for DI, I like the concept of some added lubricity for the HPFP. FP is a good bet.

Ndx,

Red Line SI-1 has an upper cylinder lube. It's the only off-the-shelf product that does, other than Lucas (eww). I think a maintenance dose once a year would be sufficient; part of me thinks it would get quite tedious to measure out those additives for every tank of gas. Your Cayenne needs premium gas anyway and that stuff should have a lot of cleaners.

I agree that FP Plus would be the better fuel additive since it has two gentle cleaners and more lubricating components.

I've been alternating between FP Plus and SI-1 in my cars for the last few years (one tank with FP Plus, one with nothing, one with a maint does of SI-1, one with nothing - rinse, repeat). I've had 3 gas-powered DI cars so far, and haven't had any fuel pump or injector issues in any of them. Others with the very same cars (FSI GTIs and Mini Cooper S) seem to fairly commonly experience injector failures.

I'm not into starting flame wars or anything, so I won't claim that it's "necessary" or that I would have had problems otherwise, but it's cheap insurance in my opinion. I've been steadily using LC/FP in all of my cars for more than a decade at this point, and have always had well running clean engines.

--Matt

Last edited:
Any other long term users here ?
I'm a little concerned as I cant find any details about the company development or testing of the product.

Originally Posted By: Ndx
Any other long term users here ?
I'm a little concerned as I cant find any details about the company development or testing of the product.

Have you read the Dyson Analysis paper? It's dated, but still relevant.

http://www.lcdinc.com/tests_dyson.php

--Matt

Last edited:
Declaration: I have no current business association with LCD or its suppliers, and this is not an endorsement for, nor a criticism of LCD's products. I have no control of LCD marketing statements.

The link below was a test only for LC20 (Oil Additive) and FP60 (old fuel additive).

I formulated the FP PLUS.

The FP PLUS was originally formulated in two versions, one for gasoline engines and another for diesel. We then formulated a single fuel additive for both applications ultimately designated FP PLUS. Fuels including biodiesel and ethanol fuels showed improvements in fuel stability and slight increases in mileage.

Testing of FP PLUS was done by a well respected outside facility, but the test report was not made public because it contained proprietary information.

FP PLUS has a slightly higher amount of fuel stabilizer than most fuels or other fuel additives.

FP PLUS has the following characteristics:

1. an injector cleaner and lubricant
2. fuel system cleaner and lubricant
3. upper cylinder cleaner
4. less cylinder desposits due to a cleaner burning formulation
5. improves combustion thermodynamics
6. made from renewable resources
7. slightly better mpg in many (but not all) engines
8. better fuel stabilization than most other fuel additives

There are some synthetic components in FP PLUS such as oleoesters that make it more biodegradeable than most fuel system additives.

Last edited:
Mola,

How would you say the lubricity of the FP + is versus TC W3 that some on here use? I think most say 3oz per tank if they are doing it.

If you used 3 oz. of each product per tankful (14-20 gallons) I would say the FP PLUS comes out ahead in terms of lubrication ability.

Spoke to Dave at redline oil and he said the si1 fuel cleaner would work for Direct injection and that the product would survive to do cleaning on intake valves of DI engines. I have used the si1 since 2004 with great success and for so time BMW had used it as a product the recommended.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Declaration: I have no current business association with LCD or its suppliers, and this is not an endorsement for, nor a criticism of LCD's products. I have no control of LCD marketing statements.

The link below was a test only for LC20 (Oil Additive) and FP60 (old fuel additive).

The FP PLUS was originally formulated in two versions, one for gasoline engines and another for diesel. We then formulated a single fuel additive for both applications ultimately designated FP PLUS. Fuels including biodiesel and ethanol fuels showed improvements in fuel stability and slight increases in mileage.

Testing of FP PLUS was done by a well respected outside facility, but the test report was not made public because it contained proprietary information.

FP PLUS has a slightly higher amount of fuel stabilizer than most fuels or other fuel additives.

There are some synthetic components in FP PLUS such as oleoesters that make it more biodegradeable than most fuel system additives.

Molakule,

I just ran across a jug of LC20 and FP60 that I purchased at least 8 years ago. Both are about 1/2 full with the caps sealed tightly. Are these still usable? I've just purchased a new Audi with the FSI (direct injection) engine, and I want to use both to (hopefully) prevent the carbon buildup these engines are noted for.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Molakule,

I just ran across a jug of LC20 and FP60 that I purchased at least 8 years ago. Both are about 1/2 full with the caps sealed tightly. Are these still usable? I've just purchased a new Audi with the FSI (direct injection) engine, and I want to use both to (hopefully) prevent the carbon buildup these engines are noted for.

If it still has a strong Ketone-like smell to it, it should be good to go!

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Molakule,

If it still has a strong Ketone-like smell to it, it should be good to go!

Yes, odor is just as strong as when I first opened the jugs.

BTW, even with a DI engine (where there is no fuel wash of the intake valves), my theory is that using both LC20 and FP60 will eventually clean and/or prevent the carbon build up because the blow-by vapor (the culprit that is largely responsible for the build up on the valves) will have both FP60 (form the fuel) and LC20 (from the oil) in it. Gradual cleaning of everything the blow-by touches should be inevitable based on the results of your tests at how effective this stuff is.

BUMP

As the owner of a new, not just DI, but turbo GDI engine, I've been researching this stuff.

First off, I have no idea if the new 1.8 TSI that VW has been using for a 3+ years stateside has any carbon buildup issues, hopefully some with higher mileage will have data points soon. After VW/Audi past issues, you would hope they stepped up the research to fix this for a new design.

I like the thought of using LC20 to run the OE recommended 10k OCIs on 502 oil - LC may provide a cushion for a somewhat extended drain (its a turbo, but not high performance necessarily). Otherwise 10k OCIs seems pushing it when it comes to a turbo and GDI.
Also FP+ seems great to provide some lube and cleaning on the injection side. Maybe the combo is the best bet currently for preventative GDI issues?

I would also run a PEA cleaner prior to oil changes, in my proposed regimen.

I'm just looking to see if anyone who has been running this combo has any more info to provide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back