Toyota pays $1.2-billion federal fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Doog
Anyway...I just bought a new Toyota last night. Looked at the Ford Mustang...but it just wasn't put together as well. The interior looked too cheap and wasn't laid out well.

I wouldn't mind having a Mustang but right now I need a car that will go 150-200k and not be a rat trap after 100k. I have 3 friends with F-150s that are disintegrating after 120k in the salt here.

This has already been noted by my pilot buddy who bought a gorgeous Kona Blue Stang 5.0 last year. After only 20k miles the car is noticeably "looser" and developed a nifty dash rattle. He hasn't had any shifter or trans issues (6 speed) but he swears he has heard the dreaded pinion bearing noise after a high speed highway run with me in the SRT. Turns out he has a limiter that stops the fun at about 150 mph, too bad.

It's still a beautiful car but no way will it run 200k miles unless you haul it on a trailer IMO.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Originally Posted By: Doog
Anyway...I just bought a new Toyota last night. Looked at the Ford Mustang...but it just wasn't put together as well. The interior looked too cheap and wasn't laid out well.

I wouldn't mind having a Mustang but right now I need a car that will go 150-200k and not be a rat trap after 100k. I have 3 friends with F-150s that are disintegrating after 120k in the salt here.

This has already been noted by my pilot buddy who bought a gorgeous Kona Blue Stang 5.0 last year. After only 20k miles the car is noticeably "looser" and developed a nifty dash rattle. He hasn't had any shifter or trans issues (6 speed) but he swears he has heard the dreaded pinion bearing noise after a high speed highway run with me in the SRT. Turns out he has a limiter that stops the fun at about 150 mph, too bad.

It's still a beautiful car but no way will it run 200k miles unless you haul it on a trailer IMO.

My old fox ran 200K without issue. But it wasn't a tight car new or at that mileage. It was a rattling plastic beast inside. But it worked well, engine out-lived the car, and never had any mechanical issues with it other than the fragile T-5.

Mustangs are what they are. The M5 is put together like a Swiss watch in comparison, no squeaks or rattles, tight as a drum and much quieter. But there is certainly something about the Mustang and the performance it offers at its price point. You aren't getting Euro-sedan (or the competition in that segment) in a Mustang. But you are getting a fast car for less money. The base GT is a deal, and its competition, the Camaro, really isn't much different. Muscle cars are "that way". Luxury sleds, like your car and mine, the CTS-V....etc are a different segment and stickered accordingly.

I have no doubt a new Mustang will run 200K. It'll be rattly when it gets there but it'll still scare the passenger out of his or her shorts at that mileage, still go sideways when you look at it wrong, still give you that "oh sweet Jesus here we go...." feeling that a Muscle car does. In essence, it will push all the right buttons just like that car has done since 1964. It is what it is and it certainly isn't for everybody. As a former Mustang owner and a current luxo-sled owner, I appreciate both for what they are
smile.gif

Overkill:

I really didn't mean to imply that the Stang couldn't be expected to run 200k miles, just that it has some assembly quirks or even quality issues.

I suspect the rear end overheated during our extended high speed work out in the country and that is why he heard the pinion bearing noise. It remains an amazing value, and the important thing is its owner loves it still!

Overkill:

I really didn't mean to imply that the Stang couldn't be expected to run 200k miles, just that it has some assembly quirks or even quality issues.

I suspect the rear end overheated during our extended high speed work out in the country and that is why he heard the pinion bearing noise. It remains an amazing value, and the important thing is its owner loves it still!

Yeah, they all did though, LOL! Comes with the performance offered at the price point IMHO. Look at the old F-bodies and how fragile their diffs were for example. The Fox cars all needed subframe connectors and would often rip out the LCA mounting points if launched on slicks frequently. The SN95 cars had similar problems, as they were based off the fox cars. Nicer interiors though and the Terminator remains one of my favourite cars of all time.

The S197 cars brought with them some different quirks. The 2nd generation of that chassis, and the massive increase in power output that went with it.... new issues again. We know the 8.8" can handle the power, it has been doing it beneath foxes with boost and spray for ages. Probably needs a better factory diff cooling setup, but is something easily solved and we know it will be solved either by Ford or the aftermarket, after all it is a Mustang
wink.gif

Same with that 150Mph limiter. We both know there's already an aftermarket delete for that puppy
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: andrewg
But, poor design/sales and unreliable, crummy vehicles should also be a reason to be out of business. But that wasn't the case recently with an American auto maker.
I think Toyota, on average, has produced some very fine vehicles and will continue to do so.

So then, did the 'sacred' Nippon Giant "deserve" to go out of business in the '60s-early '70s when everything they produced was a total RUSTBUCKET??
Or should they be condemned as 'government motors' themselves for benefitting from their OWN government's protectionist trade policies/tax breaks/'welfare', or even their OWN dumping policies which gave them as much a stranglehold/'leg up'/almost monopoloy as their supposed 'perfect products'?!!
confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

Toyota is "nice" and GM is "evil". Nice always wins...

Just to be clear here....I never stated nor even hinted that GM is evil in my post. I was merely stating my opinion....and it was a fair one at that. It was dailydriver that had the spaz attack.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back