Toyota pays $1.2-billion federal fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're crazy if you think GM would be fined by this agency.

I agree; Government Motors is the Fair Haired Boy of this Administration...

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I'm pretty sure they are all shrewd at the very least.

The key here is that TOYOTA LIED and knew the issue approximately TWO years before the famous 911 call & crash (where a family DIED).

Sounds eerily similar to a government program starring vin diesel and paul walker

A little blood in the water and a bunch of ambulance chasing attorneys and this is what you get.

I'm with the NASA engineers that said there was no substance to the allegations; just a floor mat that needed to be pulled out from under the gas pedal by the operator.

The federal government wants to start levying fines for misleading statements, they need to get their checkbook out too.

Originally Posted By: SilverC6
A little blood in the water and a bunch of ambulance chasing attorneys and this is what you get.

I'm with the NASA engineers that said there was no substance to the allegations; just a floor mat that needed to be pulled out from under the gas pedal by the operator.

The federal government wants to start levying fines for misleading statements, they need to get their checkbook out too.

I agree 100% No one wants to accept responsibility for their own negligence or stupidity, so we blame a manufacturer for a "defect" that never existed...

Originally Posted By: Mfrank84
Ironically, I just opened my mail and there is a check from Toyota for $125. The check was for, and I quote, "Unintended Acceleration Marketing, Sales Practices and Products Liability Litigation. I traded my Toyota Tundra in on my Jeep 3 1/2 years ago. I didn't even know there was a class action against them. I'm going to happily deposit this check into my account tomorrow.

[censored]? That is awesome, I guess. I want some money for nothing too!

My truck was part of the infamous Ford cruise control switch recall. Can I get some money, Ford? Decreased value and whatnot (never mind that I effectively totaled the truck in 2010)?

I'm still rocking the red Texas Instruments switch, with a fused jumper harness installed in 2007 or 2008. No leaks yet, but I want some money [censored]!
crackmeup2.gif

Didnt the President of Toyota admit that he was embarrased for the cover up and the culture of deciet and lying within Toyota about this?

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Why some otherwise red blooded Americans think Toyota walks on water is beyond me. You won't find many saints in the car building business, or oil business for that matter, but the Toyota/Honda Kool aid drinkers I run into make no sense at all to me.

You can accurately extend this comment to ANY Kook-Aid drinker, whether they like Hondas or Toyotas, Fords or Chevys, or anything else. There are NO saints in the car-building business, and that's been demonstrated recently with both Toyota and General Motors finding themselves in the spotlight, and with other automakers facing scrutiny in the past.

It doesn't matter what brand we like (or don't like); if we think any automaker has anything but their bottom line as their first priority, I'm afraid we're mistaken.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: kschachn
You're crazy if you think GM would be fined by this agency.

I agree; Government Motors is the Fair Haired Boy of this Administration...

Now that's funny.

But sadly, it is true. After all, they saved Detroit...

It would be foolish for anyone to think that ANY automaker isn't in it for the money. Of course they are....and should be or they will not survive. Lying or deflecting from the truth is not acceptable for any manufacturer however. But, poor design/sales and unreliable, crummy vehicles should also be a reason to be out of business. But that wasn't the case recently with an American auto maker.
I think Toyota, on average, has produced some very fine vehicles and will continue to do so. I don't think they are any more guilty than any other manufacturer when it comes to business practices.

Didn't someone decompile some Toyota control code and find it dangerously ill-written? Things like buffer overruns, illegal addresses etc?? I thought someone posted the article on this board.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
But, poor design/sales and unreliable, crummy vehicles should also be a reason to be out of business. But that wasn't the case recently with an American auto maker.
I think Toyota, on average, has produced some very fine vehicles and will continue to do so.

So then, did the 'sacred' Nippon Giant "deserve" to go out of business in the '60s-early '70s when everything they produced was a total RUSTBUCKET??
Or should they be condemned as 'government motors' themselves for benefitting from their OWN government's protectionist trade policies/tax breaks/'welfare', or even their OWN dumping policies which gave them as much a stranglehold/'leg up'/almost monopoloy as their supposed 'perfect products'?!!
confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
But, poor design/sales and unreliable, crummy vehicles should also be a reason to be out of business. But that wasn't the case recently with an American auto maker.
I think Toyota, on average, has produced some very fine vehicles and will continue to do so.

So then, did the 'sacred' Nippon Giant "deserve" to go out of business in the '60s-early '70s when everything they produced was a total RUSTBUCKET??
Or should they be condemned as 'government motors' themselves for benefitting from their OWN government's protectionist trade policies/tax breaks/'welfare', or even their OWN dumping policies which gave them as much a stranglehold/'leg up'/almost monopoloy as their supposed 'perfect products'?!!
confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

I have no idea actually. But I do have a suggestion....stop drinking so much coffee late in the day.

confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

People would have quit buying their cars in the USA ages ago, if they weren't worth it.

It is fun for many people to compare their cars to certain American cars, like Buicks, Lincolns, and Oldsmobiles, but when you compare a 70s Toyota to any American car of the same size, you get a more fair comparison.

In places where there is no road salt, you can still find very old Toyota trucks.

And the USA protected itself from trucks that were built in Japan. It was included in another tax. None of our car makers wanted to compete with the tiny Datsun pickup.

Originally Posted By: MCompact
Originally Posted By: SilverC6
just a floor mat that needed to be pulled out from under the gas pedal by the operator.

I agree 100% No one wants to accept responsibility for their own negligence or stupidity, so we blame a manufacturer for a "defect" that never existed...

MCompact and SilverC6-

1. 20/20 hindsight (AFTER the floormat was found to be the cause of some of these accidents) is pretty easy. Some % of the population did not / will not react properly in an emergency situation and pull the floormats away, especially if they don't know about this defect (again, you guys have the advantage of knowing about the floormats after the fact). This is the manufacturer's fault, not the consumer's. It's funny how much I hear about "personal responsibility" from certain people. Then, when it comes to "corporate responsibility", their answer is "uhhh...see personal responsibility?" Sorry, but that's a pretty obvious double-standard.

2. Neither of you are addressing the sticky accelerator defect, just the floormats. Why is that? Low hanging fruit, perhaps? (See washington post link in my post above). Either way, pretty flawed argument.

confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

Toyota is "nice" and GM is "evil". Nice always wins...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

confused2.gif

Goose and gander.

Toyota is "nice" and GM is "evil". Nice always wins...

Well at least you finally made some sense.
lol.gif

Anyway...I just bought a new Toyota last night. Looked at the Ford Mustang...but it just wasn't put together as well. The interior looked too cheap and wasn't laid out well.

I wouldn't mind having a Mustang but right now I need a car that will go 150-200k and not be a rat trap after 100k. I have 3 friends with F-150s that are disintegrating after 120k in the salt here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back