Hyundai, oil recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: salv
There is no absolute need for synthetic in a Hyundai GDI turbo engine when severe service intervals are followed. If extending the interval beyond the recommended 3500 miles, I would recommend a euro-style long life 5w30, meeting ACEA A5/B5 or A3/B4 standards.
I work in Hyundai service. Our bulk oil is Gulfpride Advance Fuel Efficient 5w30 synthetic blend. We have not had any issues with the durability of this oil or our previous bulk oil, Formula Shell 5w30 in the GDI Turbo motors.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Androctonus
Thank you Garak,

I am concerned, hearing how strict Hyundai/Kia is with thier warranties, that a high mileage oil would be frowned upon.

Considering it meets the specifications they call for exactly (and exceeds them, actually, having dexos1), there's not a lot they can do about it. They really can't say to use an SN/GF-5 rated 5w-30 (or whatever viscosity) except MaxLife, unless, I suppose, if Oil Changer authored the manual, but that's another issue.
wink.gif

It will be perfectly interchangeable with any other SN/GF-5 motor oil of the same viscosity. If price and availability are good, I'd use it.

Another excellent Choice.

Originally Posted By: wemay

I don't know how much MaxLife has been reformulated over the years, but I do like how it handled fuel dilution in the F-150 when the carb was pooched. Regular PCMO 5w-30s would be thinned out to the point the oil pressure light would come on when idling at operating temperatures near the end of the OCI. With MaxLife 5w-30, that never happened. Maybe it's a good fit for GDI engines, too.

I don't know how much MaxLife has been reformulated over the years, but I do like how it handled fuel dilution in the F-150 when the carb was pooched. Regular PCMO 5w-30s would be thinned out to the point the oil pressure light would come on when idling at operating temperatures near the end of the OCI. With MaxLife 5w-30, that never happened. Maybe it's a good fit for GDI engines, too.

I've also seen where Motorcraft/Kendall GT-1 Blends have performed well. Lots of interesting choices. Its good to be a BITOGER.

Someone did 10k miles on Mobil Super 5000 conventional???

Quote:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983752
2010 FX4 | MS5K 5W-20 SN | 5.4L | 10,020mi
04/25/13

Let me be corrected on one point. Said Ford F-150 running with MS5K 5W20 was of MY 2010, therefore had a Modular V8, naturally aspirated FI engine, was not an Ecoboost (V6 with turbo and GDI) engine.

Now if you examine the 4 UOAs of MS5K 5W20 (that engine definitely needs to run with 5W20 and 5W30 grades), the BITGOer did one normal service OCI of 10K miles. It was not exactly a successful one in one sense, because the TAN exceeded TBN by more than a small fraction, but then again, there are at least to my awareness two different industry standard methods of estimating/measuring TBN, the one yielding a higher number than the other, and besides, TBN vs. TAN is not the end all be all, because of other key UOA factors like oil oxidation. Wear metals wise, the 4 UOAs were altogether a success. The way I personally interpret them, and therefore this is my opinion: if consistently used, MS5K 5W20 for a big, modern naturally aspirated V8 (with a large oil sump capacity, around 6.5 qt) can be utilized for more than 7K, if under normal service. Your Hyundai turboed GDI engine should IMO be able to easily handle a 4.5K to 5K OCI, if utilizing either 5W30 or 10W30 of MS5K.

Two of the most knowledgeable BITGOers in the lubrication field are Molakule and Solarent. They're professionals. Well, Molakule drives in a much colder weather area than you, and not long ago he posted here that his car runs with 10W30, I think he also said it was conventional, but that part I don't remember clearly. I do clearly remember the 10W30 part. For now, if you run 100% 5W30, no problem, but sooner or later you'll learn that either a blend of 5W30 and 10W30 or 100% 10W30 is more friendly to your engine. This is true whether an engine is carbed or naturally aspirated FI or turbo or GDI or turboed GDI, but especially true for turbos and GDIs, because those are harder on the engine oils. 5W30 was developed to replace 10W30 for CAFE purposes. 5W20 was wide scale introduced for the same same reason, to basically replace 5W30. Yes, with thinner oil as many claim, there is a boost in performance, and I experienced this myself the very last and final time I ran 100% 5W30 (I went as high as 90 MPH, and as I remember it, it felt rather effortless), but it's a less stable viscosity grade, and long term it protects the engine less. 5W30 is for CAFE, and for new vehicles, and for operation in extremely cold weather. V8 Ford Modulars need either 5W20 or 5W30 all the time, for all intents and purposes require that thinner grade, because of the engine design, therefore they really do need quality syn blends (advanced dinos) or Group III synthetics (glorified dinos) or real synthetics like Pennzoil Ultra, AMS Oil, Schaeffers, precisely because 5W20 and 5W30 are weaker grades (although 5W20 is more stable than 5W30) and therefore for long term use, it is preferable to have very high quality base oil. And besides, V8s typically are not high reving.

MS5K 5W30 and TGMO Toyota Genuine Motor Oil conventional 5W30 both are produced by XOM; these two are nearly identical, although Toyota 5W30 has a slightly higher starting TBN.

Mobil 1 0W20 AFE and TGMO 0W20 both are produced by XOM; however, one notable difference, M1 0W20 AFE carries Mg detergents, but TGMO 0W20 customized version does not. Both are very high quality real synthetics, but BITOG World regards the TGMO customized version higher than the M1 version. Mg is said to retard the depletion of TBN, more effectively, but Mg is also said to be not as effective as Ca in cleaning ability.

Likewise, Hyundai/Kia have a special relationship with Quaker State.

Can Maxlife be used in a new car?

On top of what Merkava said, MaxLife is SN/GF-5 rated.

Thank you Garak,

I am concerned, hearing how strict Hyundai/Kia is with thier warranties, that a high mileage oil would be frowned upon.

Hyundai and Kia are not very strict on warranty repairs at all. We do tons of goodwill stuff for items that are no longer covered under their respective warranties. We once replaced an engine under warranty on a 2010 Santa Fe that came in with no oil in it, tons of sludge, and a rusted OEM filter that had been on the vehicle since we had last changed the oil, 24k prior. The vehicle had only had 2 oil changes in 56k.
Hyundai is so consumed with becoming "the most loved car company" (corporate's words), that they often go above and beyond on warranty. If you hit a stumbling block on warranty, it is most likely the dealer and not Hyundai giving you a hard time.
Use any oil you want that meets a current API spec. I would never question one of my DIY customers on what oil they were using before doing warranty work. That is counterproductive. Hyundai pays me to fix your car. I want the work.

I would use a low-SAPS Valvoline or Mobil Super 5000 10w30.
Or a non-RC like Pennzoil HM or Quaker State Defy 10w30.

Can Maxlife be used in a new car?

On top of what Merkava said, MaxLife is SN/GF-5 rated.

Thank you Garak,

Hyundai and Kia are not very strict on warranty repairs at all. We do tons of goodwill stuff for items that are no longer covered under their respective warranties. We once replaced an engine under warranty on a 2010 Santa Fe that came in with no oil in it, tons of sludge, and a rusted OEM filter that had been on the vehicle since we had last changed the oil, 24k prior. The vehicle had only had 2 oil changes in 56k.
Hyundai is so consumed with becoming "the most loved car company" (corporate's words), that they often go above and beyond on warranty. If you hit a stumbling block on warranty, it is most likely the dealer and not Hyundai giving you a hard time.
Use any oil you want that meets a current API spec. I would never question one of my DIY customers on what oil they were using before doing warranty work. That is counterproductive. Hyundai pays me to fix your car. I want the work.

salv,

In the Genesis Coupe 2.0T OM, it states that 5w40 can be used (although 5w30 is the primary recommendation) but our OM has no 5w40 recommendation [same 2.0T]. Has Hyundai given the Technicians any indication as why that is? Also, on the back cover of the SFS 2.0T OM there is a quick reference guide. The oil information on there says to use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30. It says nothing about 5w20 inside the manual though. Any thoughts? Reason i ask is because many SFS 2.0T drivers on other forums want to use a xx40 and even xx20 but fear warranty issues, as Androctonus stated.

Last edited:

Good to hear Hyundai and dealers are taking good care of their customers. Now if they (Hyundai and Kia both) have stopped lying about their EPA fuel economy, and can avoid more multi-million dollar settlements, maybe they can stay in business.

Originally Posted By: HangFire

Good to hear Hyundai and dealers are taking good care of their customers. Now if they (Hyundai and Kia both) have stopped lying about their EPA fuel economy, and can avoid more multi-million dollar settlements, maybe they can stay in business.

Already happened, and they sent customers a check. The way their sales are going, i doubt they're at risk of going out of business.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tswm
5W30 was developed to replace 10W30 for CAFE purposes.

No, it was not. It may have been widely introduced and specified for fuel economy reasons, but it was not developed for that reason. Multrigrades of all sorts, particularly 5w-30, were developed for climate reasons. 10w-30 is decidedly not fun in our winters, and monogrades approach uselessness.

Hyundai never lied about fuel economy. It is a misinterpretation of what actually happened. Hyundai's testing methods for fuel economy were not 100% in line with the EPA test methods. They had to retest. Results differed by 1-2 mpg. Hyundai continues to compensate owners that had the old window stickers when they bought their cars. Compensation was 100% voluntary. Hyundai was not legally compelled in any way to compensate owners.
There is not another car company on the planet that would voluntarily give money to their customers as a gesture of good faith.

salv,

In the Genesis Coupe 2.0T OM, it states that 5w40 can be used (although 5w30 is the primary recommendation) but our OM has no 5w40 recommendation [same 2.0T]. Has Hyundai given the Technicians any indication as why that is? Also, on the back cover of the SFS 2.0T OM there is a quick reference guide. The oil information on there says to use 5w20, 5w30 or 10w30. It says nothing about 5w20 inside the manual though. Any thoughts? Reason i ask is because many SFS 2.0T drivers on other forums want to use a xx40 and even xx20 but fear warranty issues, as Androctonus stated.

The short answer is , No. European Hyundais use the same drivetrains and allow for 0w30/0w40. My answer to the whole thing is, I cannot officially advise the use of any oil not specified in the owner's manual.
My off the record response, Hyundai GDI turbo motors are great candidates for ACEA A3/B4 oils.

Understood, looking to try Motorcraft 5w30 synthetic blend next. I will keep things simple.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tswm
5W30 was developed to replace 10W30 for CAFE purposes.

No, it was not. It may have been widely introduced and specified for fuel economy reasons, but it was not developed for that reason. Multrigrades of all sorts, particularly 5w-30, were developed for climate reasons. 10w-30 is decidedly not fun in our winters, and monogrades approach uselessness.

I am not in disagreement with you. I've done conventional 10W30 SL GF-3 cold start ups without issues, but not in any ambient temperature of record setting cold weather as this past winter. That's where 5W30 and even more so 0W20 and 5W20, also M1 0W30 AFE are so key to engine longevity.

I'm just being picky about your wording. You said it was developed for CAFE. That's not the case. Its widespread use certainly was helped by CAFE.

Remember that in the early days of the grade, 5w-30 was specified for Canadian vehicles, while the American vehicles called for 10w-30. That's hardly a CAFE issue.

Hyundai never lied about fuel economy. It is a misinterpretation of what actually happened. Hyundai's testing methods for fuel economy were not 100% in line with the EPA test methods. They had to retest. Results differed by 1-2 mpg. Hyundai continues to compensate owners that had the old window stickers when they bought their cars. Compensation was 100% voluntary. Hyundai was not legally compelled in any way to compensate owners.
There is not another car company on the planet that would voluntarily give money to their customers as a gesture of good faith.

Well, I guess you can call the settlement of a class action lawsuit "100% voluntary", as well as MPG restatements in response to the EPA investigation as well. It didn't help Hyundai/Kia that the compensation to owners has come in two chunks, usually the first settlement is enough to put a problem behind a manufacturer. But I kinda doubt it would have worked out that way without the threat of legal action.

Oh, and by the way, the Kia Soul was brought down by 6 MPG.

But you're right that they didn't intend to lie, they were cleared of intentional fraud and deception. They are also not the only one with this problem, specifically Ford has had to restate MPG for the Ford Fusion Hybrid.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/12/23/hyundai-kia-mpg/4183177/

http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1089...ing-gas-mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back