how about not running full flow filter at all?

Status
Not open for further replies.
how would an engine condition be if you did not run a full-floww filter at all, and just ran a bypass filter after you got home? something that is easily hooked up to the engine and 120 volt powered? it would be ran for a few hours.
lol.gif

Dave..back in the good old days before full flow filters became standard on engines ( the early-mid 1950's) the only filtration available was by-pass. And that was because an owner bought it on the aftermarket and either installed it himself in the engine bay or had a garage do it.

Back then you changed your oil every 1,000 miles with no filter. When by-pass filters were installed they advertised you could go around 3,000 miles or more.

Of course back then people rebuilt their motors more frequently. Engine tolerances weren't as tight as they are now. Oils were different formulas. Cooling systems were different.

So if you want to go back to the good old days, it's possible.
wink.gif

But your idea of doing it after you park it in the garage and not have a by-pass operating full time when your driving is......err....an interesting way of having a learning experience.
wink.gif

quote:

Originally posted by daves66nova:
how would an engine condition be if you did not run a full-floww filter at all, and just ran a bypass filter after you got home? something that is easily hooked up to the engine and 120 volt powered? it would be ran for a few hours.
lol.gif

Sounds like having your kidneys removed and going on dialysis. It works, but I would prefer to keep my kidney.
grin.gif

If you open a lot of full flow filters you will eventually see some specs of metal or other crud in one. Without a full flow, that crap will end up going through the bearings several times or getting embedded in one before a bypass or a dialysis filter will pick it up.

Off the wall stuff like running without a full flow filter is more a testimony to the crap tolerance of engines than the wisdom of the person eliminating the full flow filter.

Sometimes those thoughts that at first sound rediculous can bring up some interesting comments. I have learned tons of things here by other folks just adding random side comments, we get the benefit of looking at a problem from different points of view, lots of folks here have varied types of experience that allows them to really help the rest of us. More of us here are learning and educating in the same statements than we realize.
smile.gif

[ January 29, 2005, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: ZR2RANDO ]

engines last longer with full flow filters than with bypass only filters.Think about how the oiling system works on an engine.

After looking at epokes particle count UOA ...I think bypass filtration could have more impact than many of us think. If you have a bypass filter ..the ff becomes a nice (and clean) redundant safety net.

XF650 - Sounds like having your kidneys removed and going on dialysis. It works, but I would prefer to keep my kidney.

Love the analogy!
worshippy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back