Valvoline Oil HT/HS numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received the HT/HS numbers from Valvoline for their 5w-30 and 10w-30 oils. I thought i'd pass it along to you all.

Their pds don't indicate it but the Synthetic Maxlife could be rated A3/B3

5w-30 / 10w-30

Premium Conventional--2.9 / 3.0
DuraBlend-------------3.0 / 3.1
MaxLife Blend---------3.0 / 3.1
MaxLife Synthetic-----3.5 / 3.6
SynPower--------------3.1 / 3.2

I do not believe these numbers are up to date for the most recent versions of their oils. Most notably, DuraBlend 5w30 and MaxLife 5w30 cannot have a HTHS below 3.2. They are both Dexos 1 certified. Dexos 1 requires a HTHS of no less than 3.2.
I am also skeptical of MaxLife syn at 3.5/3.6. Hard to meet SN/GF-5 standards with a HTHS that high.
I suspect that the info is dated.

Originally Posted By: salv
They are both Dexos 1 certified. Dexos 1 requires a HTHS of no less than 3.2.

I questioned this in another thread. M1 5w-30 (and many other dexos1 licensed oils) have an HTHS of 3.1 or lower.

salv,

I don't think that Dexos 1 requirement is accurate either.

QSUD 5W-30 3.0
Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30 3.0
Pennzoil Ultra 5W-30 3.1
Pennzoil 5W-30 Syn-Blend 3.0

Mobil 1 5W-30 3.1 (probably 3.08)
Mobil 1 0W-30 3.0
Mobil 1 5W-30 EP 3.0

All are DEXOS 1 rated

Take care,
Gary

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
Not sure if the ML is licensed, I think it's just "approved".

It is now officially licensed. Check here.
Thanks, Garak, I hadn't looked at that list lately. Strange that the MaxLife Synthetic (with it's higher HTHS) isn't on that list.

True, but they do have enough other products, including their other blend and Valvoline Synpower on the list. That should be enough to please most Valvoline fans who are looking for a dexos1 oil.

FWIW I confirmed with Valvoline that the HT/HS numbers are accurate and they guy said ' they came straight from the lab '

Still I wish and suggested that Valvoline post the HT/HS numbers for the pcmo.

MaxLife Synthetic is now on my list of oils to try before I die.
But there's no hurry; I've got a stash of oil that should last 40,000 miles.

I have a hard time believing the Maxlife syn is 3.5, but I'd also be thrilled if it was. Is it marketed as "Resource Conserving"? If it is I don't think it can have an HTHS that high.

Originally Posted By: BlueBird
FWIW I confirmed with Valvoline that the HT/HS numbers are accurate and they guy said ' they came straight from the lab '

Yet he didn't think that the HTHS conflict between the GF-5 rating and the lab was an issue. The thought process was, "Let's post these and ignore the fact that it means we're not technically certified," right?

Originally Posted By: Xtc6k
Is HTHS numbers a good indicator of how thick/thin the oil really is?

It's a good way to approximate the oil's viscosity in operation, yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back