Anyone used Castrol R30 in a 4 Stroke?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious to know if R30 is worth all the trouble or is it just old tech now? Would it perform better than say a synthetic 5w30 or 0w40 PCMO in a non competitive but dedicated race car?

I think, but may be corrected that the like of R30 are a one meet oil, and need renewing each time you take it out.

That's right, it has no detergents in it. It's also a Castor/Ester blend, and not compatible with petroleum oil. It is still popular as a 2 stroke and rotary premix lube. Although I dont see a reason to use it over A747 or any other top end racing 2 stroke.

If you read an old PDS it was once touted as the premium 4 stroke race oil, better than any PCMO they would have you believe.

It was rumoured back in the day that you could almost never sieze a 4 stroke on castor based oils...they were also very alky compatible.

If I could find some reasonably around, all my lawn equipment would be on castor. It adds to the ambience of a screaming 2 stroke.

Last R30 I bought was from Supercheap. Still have a 1 litre that gets tipped into things for a good smell. It makes a good gearbox oil, and was used in worm drive diffs in trucks....and Peugeots. As Elwood says - Strong Stuff.

Originally Posted By: supercity
Just curious to know if R30 is worth all the trouble or is it just old tech now? Would it perform better than say a synthetic 5w30 or 0w40 PCMO in a non competitive but dedicated race car?

It would completely depend on your engine technology (cold start engine tolerances)and how extreme/expensive your engine is, it's still opted for in many historic race engines. When I was at the Goodwood Revival I saw a Ferrari 250GTO with a can of Morris MLR 30 next to it (the Morris MLR 30 is better thought of than the Castrol because the Morris keeps the engine cleaner). In general it's more suited to historic cars.

It's a monograde SAE 30 castor oil for 4 stroke race engines

Castor oil has some serious credentials

It stays fluid and does not carbonise at temps over 700'F.
Phenomenal film strength and low wear
It's attracted to metal and builds platelets just like ester synthetics do.
Mainly, it can do something no synthetic or mineral does, it's attracted to heat so it's drawn to all the hot points/high stressed points in the engine.

but, it leaves deposits....

It's/it was mainly used for racing (now historic cars) where frequent strip downs were common, the engines are warmed really gently with no load for a long time until the oil heats up and thins out before they set off. It far outperformed any lubricant of the time and still out performs synthetics to this day in some aspects.

It's not exactly old tech but the monograde SAE 30 is only really useable in old tech engines with a specific warm up procedure

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back