1978 Toro 826 restoration thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last night I added an impeller kit to the Toro. I bought some rubber paddles for a Toro S200 2-stroke machine off eBay, then cut the paddles to fit the impeller of the 826 and close up the gap.

I tried them today and it works great! Throws a bit further than before and does better in slushy snow.

Here are some pics:

photo_1.jpg

photo_2.jpg

photo_3.jpg

We will have a bit more snow tomorrow, and I'll try to get a video of it in action. I did shoot a video today but with all the wind the quality wasn't very good.

I found a 120 volt electric starter for this engine on ebay and bought it. I haven't seen too many starters like this for older Briggs engines.

Here are some pictures of it mounted on the engine, I even found a cover for it!

photo_2.jpg

photo_1.jpg

And the starter button:

photo_3.jpg

It works great!
thumbsup2.gif

I also recorded a video of it starting and running that I will try to post tomorrow.

You're right, those starters are hard to find. Usually the only way to get one is to also buy the machine that it's mounted on.

My old 826 had the galvanized colored starter with the switch and plug as an integral part of the starter housing. Those are even rarer than hen's teeth.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
You're right, those starters are hard to find. Usually the only way to get one is to also buy the machine that it's mounted on.

My old 826 had the galvanized colored starter with the switch and plug as an integral part of the starter housing. Those are even rarer than hen's teeth.

I saw one of those starters! That is actually the time period correct starter for this machine. I wanted it but the guy selling it wanted $200 for it which was about what I can get a newer engine for, so I opted for this one. The starter I have now is for an 8hp snow engine but a few years newer. I had to massage the plastic cover a bit to get it to fit but it still works well.

It's too bad I didn't know you were looking for one. There is/was one on my local CL for a decent price that I thought about picking up and trying to make some coin on through ebay.

I think it's gone now, or at least the listing has been taken down.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
It's too bad I didn't know you were looking for one. There is/was one on my local CL for a decent price that I thought about picking up and trying to make some coin on through ebay.

I think it's gone now, or at least the listing has been taken down.

No worries! I got the one I have now for a pretty good price off ebay and it works great so I'm happy.
thumbsup2.gif

I can't wait for the weather to warm up so I can clean this thing up and paint it.

Thread revival! Did you get this machine restored? I just bought a Toro 824. From what I can figure out, it was built in 1979. Model 38080. It has the Tecumseh engine. Looks similar to yours.

I have a 1980's Toro and the thing is a workhorse.

Your unit looks a lot beefier than mine and I wish you all the luck with your restoration.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the thread revival!

The story actually takes a bit of a turn...

A friend from work was moving out of her house. I was at her house one day helping with some stuff and noticed a 1984 Toro 724 in the brush next to her driveway. She had not used the snowblower in a year or so, and said it was probably going to be scrapped, so I could have it if I wanted. Upon closer inspection, the chrome handle bars and most of the paint was in better shape than my 826, it just needed a new engine. I ended up bringing it home and saving it from the scrap yard. A family friend needed a snowblower because he just bought a house, so I made him a deal on the 826. The 826 was a good machine, but a bit heavy for just the sidewalks, which is what I used it for. I have a John Deere garden tractor with a 42" blower for the driveway.

The following will be a "restoration" (more like a touch-up) of the new 724.

The first problem with the 1984 724 was that the drive disk was pretty worn. The disk was under $20, but it takes a bit of disassembly to get to it. Not a big deal since I was able to lubricate stuff while I was in there and replace the drive belts.

IMG_2568.jpg

IMG_2569.jpg

IMG_2570.jpg

IMG_2571.jpg

I also added some new tires. The tires on it were holding air, but they are pretty cracked and one had a large enough crack that I could see the tube, so I knew they would need to be dealt with at some point. I got a pretty good deal on eBay for the new tires and tubes. The wheels were a bit rusty, so I wire-wheeled them and hit them with some white paint while the tires were off. As you can see, I also touched up the paint on the front bucket a bit. The paint isn't a perfect match, but from 5 feet away it looks fine.

IMG_2573.jpg

The next part was the engine. The previous 7hp Tecumseh was shot. My friend was not the best at checking the oil, and it had an oil leak... you can guess what happened next.

My plan was to re-power it with a Honda GX200. Finding a good used one proved to be pretty difficult. I ended up finding this 7.75hp Briggs and Stratton OHV snow engine on craigslist for a pretty good deal. The guy had blown up the auger gear box on his snowblower by hitting a brick in his driveway, and was selling the engine. The engine had a 120v electric starter, and wiring for a light, which were also selling points. This engine is very quiet for a Briggs, and always starts first pull, so I wasn't too disappointed about not getting a Honda.

IMG_2574.jpg

IMG_2575.jpg

IMG_2577.jpg

IMG_2645.jpg

I ended up finding a small LED light on eBay and mounting it on the handle bar. The light is very bright for how compact it is, and lights up the path pretty well while not getting in the way.

IMG_2643.jpg

I'm very happy with how this machine turned out. It is the perfect combination because it is more maneuverable than the 826, but has a ton of power for its size. I have not been able to bog down the machine yet. I usually start spinning the wheels from traction issues against larger snow piles before the engine bogs down. I have not even done the impeller mod (I might eventually) and it still throws the snow plenty far.

Here it is all completed. Not bad for something that would've gone to the scrap yard:

IMG_2646.jpg

Nice job!

Would be interesting to see it in action.

How old is the B&S engine?

The one that came on my 2006 Simplicity (305cc Koolbore) wasn't the best for keeping snow from dropping into the belts resulting in some slipping if the snow was higher than the intake housing. I ended up making some seals out of tire tubes that fixed the problem. It was a well known issue at the time. I would assume that has been addressed since then?

Love the 724's. Not that they're light, but they're easier on the back than the larger machines. To me that easily makes up for the few more passes you'll have to make to clear an area.

With that OVH engine and new grippy tires that'll be a great machine. Add some rubber paddles to the impeller if need be and it will REALLy throw.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boraticus
Nice job!

Would be interesting to see it in action.

How old is the B&S engine?

The one that came on my 2006 Simplicity (305cc Koolbore) wasn't the best for keeping snow from dropping into the belts resulting in some slipping if the snow was higher than the intake housing. I ended up making some seals out of tire tubes that fixed the problem. It was a well known issue at the time. I would assume that has been addressed since then?

Not sure on the year of the engine actually. I'll have to check later. I believe it is a mid-2000s. The belt problem is related more to the snowblower manufacturer and how they position the belt guard to protect the belts from moisture, not Briggs and Stratton. It isn't a problem on the Toro since the belt guard is snug against the engine. I'll have to get some video footage of the machine this winter. It works extremely well and is very fuel efficient.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Love the 724's. Not that they're light, but they're easier on the back than the larger machines. To me that easily makes up for the few more passes you'll have to make to clear an area.

With that OVH engine and new grippy tires that'll be a great machine. Add some rubber paddles to the impeller if need be and it will REALLy throw.

My original plan was to add the rubber paddles that winter when I had time, but it did so well that I have put off doing it. I'll probably do it eventually just to see if I can get even more performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back