New AC Delco PF24 opened up (not an e-core)

Status
Not open for further replies.
At least, I didn't find any "E"s on it anywhere...

This is used mostly on old Buick engines from like '68 to '87, I'm thinking that not much has changed in their design in decades other that maybe materials.

I had this on my shelf and won't be using them - and I just got this oil filter cutter, so...

AC Delco PF24
12-5-2013downloaded1082.jpg

Can removed. Big metal end caps, steel spring, lots of pleats that are fairly evenly spaced.
12-5-2013downloaded1083.jpg

Rubber ADBV that is a really close fit on both the filter base and the metal end cap
12-5-2013downloaded1084.jpg

The whole filter laid out:
12-5-2013downloaded1085.jpg

Comparing this to the MotorCraft FL9 I also cut open, it has slightly fewer pleats, but they are much more securely glued into the metal end caps. The ADBVs in both filters are nearly identical in appearance.

Huh, I thought the Delco/Champion filters used coil springs for the bypass valve. Maybe it varies by application, unless this filter is many years old (before Champ got the contract)?
Ooops, I guess this application doesn't have a bypass in the filter at all?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm
Huh, I thought the Delco/Champion filters used coil springs for the bypass valve. Maybe it varies by application, unless this filter is many years old (before Champ got the contract)?

It's probably for a GM application. A lot of GM motors have the filter bypass built into the engine block, therefore it's not required in the filter.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: LazyPrizm

It's probably for a GM application. A lot of GM motors have the filter bypass built into the engine block, therefore it's not required in the filter.

The PF24 is also spec'd for the 1979 and older Pontiac engines (i.e. 389, 400, 455). I'm due to change the oil on my Dad's '66 Bonneville, so I have to thank 2NABOT for doing this as the PF24 was on my list of oil filter choices.

WOW!! That's the first time I've seen an AC Delco new.
shocked2.gif

Excellent looking filter.

How would you guys rate that compared to a Wix/NAPA Gold ?

Looks nice. I'd have no issue at all running a non-ecore Champ filter.

As always, thanks for cutting and posting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back