Do you fill the new filter w/ oil before installing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've always changed the filter after simply greasing the gasket seal with a little bit of oil. However, I've heard that it's better to fill the filter canister with as much oil as possible so that when you minimize the length of time needed for the oil to start flowing when the engine is first started after the oil change. To do this on the oil filter I use (OEM, for 1989 BMW 325is), you have to use some sort of hook to lift the backflow valve.

Does anybody do this? Thanks.

I do it when the filter position allows...i.e. on vehicles that the filter is gasket side up. I have done it some on sideways mounted filters, but I just put enough in to sorta dampen the filter element.
John

Likewise, as long as the filter hangs down, I'll pre-fill it. I can get almost a half quart or so in my Grand Prix filter. I was taught that many years ago by a mechanic friend of mine.

Not this again....

And anyway, I have always prefill, since both of my cars have upside down filters (or is it right side up?). And always will.

Read the former post on this topic, then decide what's right for you
grin.gif

I don't think prefilling it can hurt anything! Would I do it, yes. Do I do it? no, not as a policy! I do it on one vehicle. (VW Jetta TDI) It is a special case, you can put ALL the oil (1 gal) into the oil cartridge canister and it really offers a much bigger hole (almost like a funnel) to pour oil. I have one less thing to clean if I spill and one less funnel to clean if I do not.

I do not think any longitudinal study would show any statistically valid corelation.

[ January 19, 2005, 12:30 PM: Message edited by: ruking77 ]

nah, I like to see if my oil pressure system is working.
smile.gif
It doesn't take me very long to do an oil change (no greasing required) so everything is still covered in oil when I fire it up.

Steve

quote:

Originally posted by KC_admin:
Can't. Vertical mount on both cars.
blush.gif

Besides, the filter on one car is the size of a thimble! (ST6607)
grin.gif

What car you putting that on? I That is the filter for my Hundai, and it is much, much smaller than the stock Hyundai filter or the Bosch.
I noticed the ST and Fram's are the same size.

quote:

Originally posted by blupupher:
What car you putting that on? That is the filter for my Hyundai, and it is much, much smaller than the stock Hyundai filter or the Bosch.
I noticed the ST and Fram's are the same size. [/QB]

My 2002 V6 Altima. You can use the ST7317 if you want. It is twice as long.

What we really need is a study on filtration methods for carefully filtering the virgin oil you would normally pour right into the filter, if only it weren't all full of junk that will destroy your camshaft because you poured it into the outlet side of the filter and guaranteed it a one-way trip straight to your wallet... - this despite the fact that the oil is new and straight from the bottle. Sheesh......
rolleyes.gif

NEPA_Z- Considering the fact that the rest of the oil (that they bought for their oil change and didn't pre-fill their filter with) will then go straight into and through the engine via pouring it into the top of it from above...I'd say the benefits of pre-filling far outweigh the detriments of not-prefilling.

Chuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back