Valvoline's Response to Moly in Maxlife

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. I've noticed a few recent threads in which some have lamented the removal of molybdenum and questioned whether it had been removed from the full syn version.

I received this response from Valvoline:

"As for your questions pertaining to the Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage Synthetic Blend and MaxLife High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil products, the Moly has been removed from all MaxLife product and replaced with another friction-modifier additive that is much better for performance and the environment."

This obviously comes as no surprise but I thought the part about a "much better" FM taking molybdenum's place was interesting and may help reassure those that felt the product had been cheapened with it's removal.

Originally Posted By: 10cent
I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. I've noticed a few recent threads in which some have lamented the removal of molybdenum and questioned whether it had been removed from the full syn version.

"As for your questions pertaining to the Valvoline MaxLife High Mileage Synthetic Blend and MaxLife High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil products, the Moly has been removed from all MaxLife product and replaced with another friction-modifier additive that is much better for performance and the environment."

This obviously comes as no surprise but I thought the part about a "much better" FM taking molybdenum's place was interesting and may help reassure those that felt the product had been cheapened with it's removal.

Pfftftt. They are using something else because it's cheaper,plain and simple.

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Wouldn't that be completely acceptable assuming the cheaper replacement achieves the same level of performance?

Wouldn't that be completely acceptable assuming the cheaper replacement achieves the same level of performance?

I'm with you 100%. Not sure why everyone automatically assumes that a formula change worsens a product.

I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. ... ... ...

No. high PPM moly FM packages don't pass current TEOST and piston deposit testing in the new standards - its a Dirty additive and organometals are cat and lambda killers. The Valvoline in my sig appears to keep my cars running cleaner ( from what I can tell) than QSUD or M1. though it contributes to noisier operation.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dparm

I'm with you 100%. Not sure why everyone automatically assumes that a formula change worsens a product.

I know this is a standard office monkey response, but that phrase is worth noting.

Myabe the NextGen NOACK is also 'better for performance and the environment'
28.gif

Haha! Ask that same question to all the BITOG members that are currently in an uproar and scouring the planet for the "old" PU.

Why don't you ask how much zinc is in that garbage trans fluid they have to practically give away for people to use?

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
Why don't you ask how much zinc is in that garbage trans fluid they have to practically give away for people to use?

Are you ever going to stop with this? We understand you hate Ashland with a passion but come on man...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
I had need to contact Valvoline's customer care department and took the opportunity to ask if they had removed molybdenum from the full syn Maxlife as they had with the syn-blend. ... ... ...

No. high PPM moly FM packages don't pass current TEOST and piston deposit testing in the new standards - its a Dirty additive and organometals are cat and lambda killers. The Valvoline in my sig appears to keep my cars running cleaner ( from what I can tell) than QSUD or M1. though it contributes to noisier operation.
ARCOgraphite said:
Clevy said:
10cent said:

This obviously comes as no surprise but I thought the part about a "much better" FM taking molybdenum's place was interesting and may help reassure those that felt the product had been cheapened with it's removal.[/

Arco. Your hate for moly is well documented here however if moly is so bad why is only Ashland dropping it.
The new ultra and platinum still have it,and they told is that the new formulations meet gf-6,so if they can make it work why can't Ashland.

And Castrol,with their oil that came in the winner in the teost testing by amsoil contains moly,as well as every single m1 product other than their bike oils.
Are you implying that all these oils aren't going to met the new standard because they have moly.

It's getting pretty thick in here. I've read some real whoppers posted by you before however you've outdone yourself this time.

Remember when mos2 ruined your engine. Hillarious.
This post is as credible as that one.

Haha! Ask that same question to all the BITOG members that are currently in an uproar and scouring the planet for the "old" PU.

PU is more than Moly, its the insane low NOACK and Boron too, plus huge loads of other detergents and excellent TBN retention. Moly is but one part of the deal.

The new ultra and platinum still have it,and they told is that the new formulations meet gf-6,so if they can make it work why can't Ashland.

When did they say this? Being as the testing matrix for GF-6 still hasn't been approved I find this hard to believe.

I'm not saying that these new formulations will have a challenge meeting the new spec when it comes out, but I think we are a little early in making these claims.
GF-6 Timeline

I'm sure they got a good deal on it since the heavy-hitters moved on.

Originally Posted By: Turk
Amsoil Sig Series went up in Moly; from ~2ppm to ~150ppm...

And Castrol,with their oil that came in the winner in the teost testing by amsoil contains moly,as well as every single m1 product other than their bike oils.
Are you implying that all these oils aren't going to met the new standard because they have moly.

But Castrol was next to last in the 4-ball wear test in that AMSoil report...

Maxlife ATF has been used sucessfully in many applications.
Owners of a particular generation of Accord known for early automatic transaxle failure often use Maxlife ATF as a matter of preference.
Sorry that your tranny died, but I can't think of any mechanism by which Maxlife ATF killed it.
Neither could anyone else, which is what everyone told you in the original thread you won't let die.
As any transmission guy will tell you, if a fluid change kills it, it was already dead and an automatic can fail completely with very little warning, just as a clutch can.
To the OP, I like the moly in the Maxlife Nextgen that I have in the stash and have been using, but time moves on and Ashland may have actually come up with a better formulation.

Well...Mine wasn't an Accord, you are not a trans guy, you know nothing of me or my vehicles, you can not prove it wasn't the MaxJunk, some people did agree, and I don't care what you or anyone else thinks. Thanks for trying but you should have spent more time reading and less time typing.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Maxlife ATF has been used sucessfully in many applications.
Owners of a particular generation of Accord known for early automatic transaxle failure often use Maxlife ATF as a matter of preference.
Sorry that your tranny died, but I can't think of any mechanism by which Maxlife ATF killed it.
Neither could anyone else, which is what everyone told you in the original thread you won't let die.
As any transmission guy will tell you, if a fluid change kills it, it was already dead and an automatic can fail completely with very little warning, just as a clutch can.
To the OP, I like the moly in the Maxlife Nextgen that I have in the stash and have been using, but time moves on and Ashland may have actually come up with a better formulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back