My walmart has Maxlife Dex/Merc Now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im so upset that I just saw the shelves at my local wally world stocked full of Maxlife Dex/Merc Full Synthetic. I just replaced 14+ Qts in my truck with castrol Dex/merc COnventional about 10K miles ago. Oh Well....
smirk.gif

$16.xx for gallon jugs = Great deal

Our local Walmart just updated their oil section also and we got in some new oils as well as some new tranny fluids, Maxlife too.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Does it meet dexron VI ? I need to flush the avalanche again.

Yes, it meets Dexron-VI. Valvoline recently changed the formula a few months back and also made it a full synthetic.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
Does it meet dexron VI ? I need to flush the avalanche again.

Maxlife lists DexVI on their bottle.

Careful,

Some GM trannys before 2006 should use Dexron III, not VI.

I think the 1 gallon jug is blue...
It does not say "Dexron VI" on it...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Realtech214
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Consider the Castrol a flush and change it out after 10-15k

banana2.gif
Sounds good to Me!
thumbsup2.gif

I'd leave the Castrol in for a minimum of 30K to 40K .....anything less is a waste.
That vehicle came with Dex 3 and might even prefer it to the thinner Maxlife.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
they don't have it here in nj...i may be wrong but didn't maxlife get bad reviews from pqia?

Their viscosity at 100 C was lower than the older Dexron/Mercon specs allowed. PQIA pulled its advisory after Valvoline argued that older conventional fluids sheared quickly, while the Maxlife synthetic base stocks were more shear-stable, resulting in long-term operation at approximately the same viscosity level.

PQIA issued an advisory based on the viscosity of Maxlife but as valvoline stated that is an old specification that required mineral dex 3 to start higher so when it sheared it was still in spec. The mineral dex 3 could shear in excess of 2+ cSt while Maxlife only shears 0.3 cSt making is far better over the life of the fluid even though it starts out lower than a mineral based Dexron 3.

You can read about it here.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/ATFdecember2012/valvolinemaxATF.htm

Dexron 6 is fully backwards compatible with Dex 3H or lower and I'm using Supertech dex 6 in my 2002 4T65e with the same feel as my old FF. Just make sure your application doesn't forbid dex 6 which is rare.

If you want a thicker fluid the Amsoil ATF is top notch, but Valvoline uses a full synthetic basestock along with a high quality additive package from Lubrizol to make it nearly universal.

If you want a thicker fluid the Amsoil ATF is top notch, but Valvoline uses a full synthetic basestock along with a high quality additive package from Lubrizol to make it nearly universal.

Where did you get that information?

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

From a tribologist on this forum.

I was hoping that you were lucky enough to find that information on an official Valvoline site.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
That's great, but I wish they would start carrying the Max Life power steering fluid, as Pep Boyzz (and even NAPA) gets a fortune for it!
mad.gif

Agreed. Only PSF at my walmart is supertech and prestone.

I was hoping that you were lucky enough to find that information on an official Valvoline site.

Why is that? My source is credible. I don't think it's supposed to be public knowledge.

i use max life and i respect valvoline and will continue to use it because it works... As for pqia i will read what they have to say but wont take their information they report to heart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back