Yellow 9012?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There really aren't any good yellow bulbs made in any fitment anymore. Any yellow bulbs available are overseas junk. Your best bet is to color your actual fog lamp lenses.

Suggestion: an HIR is not a good match for a fog lamp. You will over-saturate the foreground area with them on. That said, if you tint your lenses, you may bring the light intensity back up to where it was untinted with a more powerful bulb.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
There really aren't any good yellow bulbs made in any fitment anymore. Any yellow bulbs available are overseas junk. Your best bet is to color your actual fog lamp lenses.

Suggestion: an HIR is not a good match for a fog lamp. You will over-saturate the foreground area with them on. That said, if you tint your lenses, you may bring the light intensity back up to where it was untinted with a more powerful bulb.

The Hella offerings aren't super bad:

http://www.myhellalights.com/index.php/default/bulbs/optilux-xy-bulbs/

Probably won't be much better, but I'm going to buy some Philips 9012's and bomb can them with Dupli-Color MC202 Yellow Metal Cast Anodized.

I tinted the fog lenses on my truck with this $11 tint film I found on amazon. it's more stretchy than applying window tint. It took a little time in the kitchen but I've been happy with the results.

I did it indoors in the kithcen because.... I needed everything clean, nice working surface, hard to do that in the recess of the bumper.

Nice different. I have always preferred yellow fog lamps.

I recommend looking into protective film. Chris is the owner of Lamin-X which was located in Winter Park, FL. The company has since relocated to Blairsville, GA.

Lamin-X films

Last edited:
+1 for 9012 and Lami-X or the like.

I have a set of yellow 9006 in my Outback (Nokya 2500 yellow) and have been pleased for their color and life, in relation to how cheap they were. That being said, the stock fogs on my OB are not great, and the adjustment screws are all but rust seized.

Originally Posted By: Hollow
+1 for 9012 and Lami-X or the like.

I have a set of yellow 9006 in my Outback (Nokya 2500 yellow) and have been pleased for their color and life, in relation to how cheap they were. That being said, the stock fogs on my OB are not great, and the adjustment screws are all but rust seized.

I have used the Nokya 2500 yellow bulbs in several different numbers for fog applications, they seem to last. I would like to try the tinted film too, so I could just use clear bulbs.

Originally Posted By: i812
I recommend looking into protective film. Chris is the owner of Lamin-X which was located in Winter Park, FL. The company has since relocated to Blairsville, GA.

Lamin-X films

Film and 9012 bulbs arrived. Bulbs have been trimmed to fit the 9006 sockets. Will install soon. THANKS!!

Just tested the set up. They are brighter than the Hella 9006's, slightly. I took the whole fog light assembly out, the Lamin-X film install was a snap and the trimmed 9012 HIR's fit perfectly. I cleaned and razor bladed the lens surface first as there was some type of tape adhesive residue on the lens I had not noticed before. All in all - not as orange-yellow as the Hella, but yellow bright never the less.

The design of the lamp assembly has a blocker cap for the bulb. I suppose one could open the assembly and remove that cap, but I was not feeling adventurous and had a ton of stuff to do.

overlay.JPG

Pabs,

Looks real good.

That's a small fixture. Keep an eye on the heat dissipation factor once you start filming the smaller ones. Definitely don't use overwattage bulbs with it or the thick films or they overheat. That's straight from the mouth of a film applicator that does 100s of them, including all our cars.

I will say this - the glass lens was warmer than I thought it would be. 30 minute drive. Thanks for the tip! I certainly wouldn't put a 65W bulb in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back