don't need a fancy oil filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I drive a 1999 Chevy Silverado, roughly 104,000 miles on the 4.8L Vortec. Runs great. When selecting an oil filter, which one would suit me the best (quality and price) if I'm not interested in the anti-drainback or by-pass valve? The oil filter mounts vertically (holes at the top), not worried about dry starts - they don't happen, and the engine (so I'm told) has a by-pass system in it in case of a clogged oil filter or other situations.

Thanks for the replies. I'm new to this forum, pretty quick response. I have looked at the AC Delcos, but here in Canada they run anywhere between $12-$15 (for my vehicle), believe it or not. Might as well go all out and get a K&N. Don't really want to spend that much. As I had previously mentioned, the filter media and quality construction are what I'm interested in, (and a good price).

You might want to cross reference the WalMart Supertech pn for your vehicle. The AC Delco PF-44 is what I use for my LS6 engine. I got it for 2 dollars US per. I think from jobbers the AC Delco brand is like 5 dollars US. Supertech filters cost app 2.07 US per.

Most delcos are made by Champ labs, same peopel that make Autozone STP and Valuecraft. So hit a Autozone up and get a STP

Walmart here in Ontario, at least where I live carry nothing but Frams. No supertech, nothing. From what I have read on this forum, I probably would try the supertech if it was available. Basically, where I live my choices are: Purolator, Motomaster (reg & formula 1), Fram( every freakin' kind), Carquest (reg & premium blue), Napa (silver or gold), Valvoline maxlife, Quaker State, AC Delco and Ford's motorcraft. I'm currently using the MaxLife, not sure if I like it. Have heard it might be to restrictive, my engine makes a different noise since using it. Doesn't seem as "smooth". Remember, I'm not interested in the anti drainback or by pass valves.

Best quality for the price is the supertech which you say you can't get and the Purolator which you say you can get. Used them for years and my cars usually make 250,000 miles before I get rid of them.

I think the NAPA silver sell for 4.50 and the gold for 7.00 so you might want to consider these options price wise.

p.s. both the Candian Tire brand filters are made by Fram, so if you decide on one of those (yes, I've read the study that they have carboard end caps but PLENTY of folks out there have ran hundreds of thousands of miles onto cars which ran exculsively Fram filters.) If you did want a Fram I think a Walmart sells those cheaper than Canadian Tire brand filters.

I like AC's and use ST's. If I couldn't get either, I would go with Purlator Premium Plus if available reasonablly or try the AZ or AA house brands.

I thought Dana Corp. makes the AC Delco oil filters for Canada ?
Like in my case, the AC Delco PF-47c & PF-52c oil filters.
See:
Canadian AC Delco oil filters

AC Delco, Canadian side...

Try looking for an AC Delco authorized distributor / 'jobber' place for AC Delco oil filters...you will save a bunch of money vs going to a GM dealer.

I myself use NAPA Gold oil filters (made by Wix/Dana Corp. in Canada).
Wix oil filters have a better filter media & a silicon anti-drain valve.

[ January 19, 2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: 99 GASE2 ]

Hello:

Check around for a Baldwin filter, They can be had at some Aklands Granger outlets or look in the yellow pages for a diesel truck centre that carries that brand. They are very well constructed and usually cheaper then OEM or a Crappy Tire equivelent rebranded fram.

Just my 2 cents
grin.gif

I second the Baldwin recomendation or look for Napa/Wix, both are excellent filters. Like everywhere else, the orange walls of Fram are taking over but the good filters are still available in smaller retailers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back