Mobil DTE26 Oil uses

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently bought a storage unit and there was a full, factory sealed 55 gallon drum of Mobil DTE 26 ISO VG 68 hydraulic oil in it. I'd like to sell it, but I don't know who to market it to. Who would use such a thing?

Thanks,
Dave

Also, any decent sized machine shop with CNC equipment may want it as well. Lots of CNC machines use various types of hydraulic oil , including DTE Light, DTE24, and your drum of DTE26 (equivalent of DTE Heavy Medium). I do field service on CNC machinery and that stuff is expensive and widely used. Someone in a shop somewhere should appreciate a good deal. Call your local lubricant bulk supplier and see what a drum of DTE Heavy Medium costs...make them a deal they cant refuse
smile.gif

I'll give it a shot. There is also an open 1/2 barrel of the same stuff and a 9/10 full barrel of Kaeser synthetic compressor oil. I looked in those barrels with a flashlight, and they both looked clean, but I can't be 100% that they are virgin. There are other things that I found in the unit that indicate it was a shop's storage unit. A bunch of Kaeser parts and filters, a used refrigerated air drier unit marked "Good Spare", etc.

Well, if I get 1/2 retail for it, I'll cover my nut for the whole unit, plus some change. My waste oil guy pays me $0.42 a gallon, and 7 bucks for the drum, so I can at least recover 30 bucks if it comes to that.

Mobil DTE is ok grade hydraulic oil. Just some plain-jane AW hydraulic fluid. I wouldn't personally use it.

The Kaeser oil is pretty good stuff. Check what type it is to make sure it ain't a PAG base. If so, you could easily get rid of it to any facility with a large air compressor. ISO-32-68 would be rotary screw compressor. ISO-100+ would be recip most likely.

No oil company in their right mind would buy a sketchy random oil drum - too much risk of machine damage. However, I'm sure small shops would LOVE to get a drum on the cheap. You could easily get $500-$800 for the drum of DTE, depending on the buyer.

The only one I am even considering selling is the factory sealed drum. I am from the school of "If you haven't maintained control of a product, you cannot guarantee it's purity", so the open ones are just clean waste oil as far as I'm concerned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back