This makes me smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Clean engine does it for me
smile.gif

Hello, Did you clean it or is that a new car?

"Clean car, clean mind!"
I said this to a limo driver who was washing his car and he looked up brightly and said, "Wrong!"
Ha-Ha Kira

Whenever the car and engine are clean, it generally gains 10 mpg and about 75 hp
smile.gif

Looks nice
smile.gif

Hi CARDIOBUCK. Did you do the cleaning/detailing? if you did Can you teach the ones that don't know like me how to do it? perhaps a sticky, I've looked and looked here for a "how to" and never found any post with instructions and recommended products to do it. TIA.

Originally Posted By: mene
Hi CARDIOBUCK. Did you do the cleaning/detailing? if you did Can you teach the ones that don't know like me how to do it? perhaps a sticky, I've looked and looked here for a "how to" and never found any post with instructions and recommended products to do it. TIA.

+1

Originally Posted By: Kira
Hello, Did you clean it or is that a new car?

Not a new car. Had it cleaned.

I had this done for me. I think I do a nice job keeping the interior clean by myself, but I'm not confident enough regarding engine bay detailing to give others' advice. IIRC there are videos on Youtube where people give some instruction regarding the process. I'm sure there are also members of BITOG who could advise regarding engine detailing.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
stock battery?

No that is an Interstate battery. I believe all of the Honda batteries are black. The stock one was gone long ago. Once they start to test "marginal" I just replace them. It's too cold around here in the winter to mess with a dead one at 0700.

Cardiobuck: that's a great looking engine bay! You should be able to keep it up yourself from here. Don't be afraid to get things wet under there (just put a MF towel over the alternator to be extra safe)!

IIRC Interstate is the OE battery Honda uses in its American-made vehicles. Japanese-made vehicles use Panasonic.

Here's a pic of my S2000 engine bay :
null_zps6e327473.jpg

Can you teach the ones that don't know like me how to do it?

I cleaned both engines in two of my cars the 1st time recently. I covered up the alternator and battery with a plastic grocery bag. I didn't seal it. I just covered the top and sides as best as I could.

Then it was just a garden hose with the nozzle set to shower and liberal use of degreaser (Purple Power) and wipe down the dirty areas with an old rag. To dry I removed the plastic engine covers and used the blow end of a cheap $20 Sears wet-dry to blow water out.

1st time I did it I didn't bother to blow water out of the belts so the car squealed for a second or two. 2nd time I tried my best to blow the water out, but it still squealed but it barely for a second.

Be prepared that color on worn plastic parts will fade if you use a strong degreaser. I didn't bother to put any dressing afterwards.

Razel pretty much got it. In my experience with my Honda/Acura cars you don't really need to cover the alternator, its actually a habit I started very recently to be extra safe (a MF towel is enough to keep any significant water off).

For a pre-cleaner/degreaser I spray on some P21S Total Auto Wash. It's a citrus degreaser that works wonderfully; strong but not too strong and smells decent.

From there I make a small bucket of wash water and go at it with a soft-bristled brush and my dedicated wheel mitt.

Afterward I either get surface water with my chamois and let the rest dry on its own -or- hit it with the leaf blower depending on what type of cleanup I'm doing.

If I decide to dress it I either use Adam's Super VRT or 303 Aerospace Protectant.

Last edited:
I will not even try to do this anymore with my engine, since it is almost impossible to keep water from getting under the intake, into the valley cover, and shorting/destroying the knock sensors/pigtail, just not worth the OCD creds (ASK me HOW I know.
frown.gif
).

What kind of products are folks using to clean up there engine bays? Just spent the weekend doing the spring cleaning of the inside and outside of our minivan then of course it rained then snowed today!

Anyhow I am ready to tackle the engine bay and want to try something that doesn't have that strong chemical after-scent like Gunk tends to have.

Suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back