thick oil in engine made for thin oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all.

Recently followed debate on a Danish car forum. Where a guy stated that using a thick oil in a engine designed to run thin oil. Will make the thick oil thin out abnormally fast. I believe if we are talking about using a 10w-40 in a engine made for 0w-20.

I am not sure if I believe it. But I thought that what better place to try out he's theory then BITOG. So what do people here think? Let the debating begin :)

Søren

I was told by a very reliable source in very simplistic terms that a "thick" oil will shear more in an engine specifically designed to run on a "thin" oil. It also depends on just how "thick" the oil is, and how "thin" an oil the engine was designed to run on. This came right from the top tech guy at one of the boutique oil companies. His explanation made a lot of sense at the time. Take it FWIW.

Keep in mind some engines were simply spec'd to run on "thin" oil when the model year changed, and no changes were made to the engines. My Jeep Liberty comes to mind. In that example the engine ran for several years on 5W30 and then in 2007 IIRC it was spec'd to run on 5W20. The engine will run fine on either grade w/o excessive shearing of the "thicker" 30 grade oil.

Originally Posted By: 285south
No, a thick oil will not turn thin, but shall create major varnish.

To make the point I used 10-40 instead of 10-30 and this is what happens to the internal part of the motor: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3132705#Post3132705

HurrjOo.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

To make the point I used 10-40 instead of 10-30 and this is what happens to the internal part of the motor: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3132705#Post3132705

Your varnish was caused by waiting until 8000 miles to change the oil......not the use the 10W-40.

I think you're right.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I think you're right.

I'm always right. You can take my word to the bank and draw interest on it.
29.gif

I was told by a very reliable source in very simplistic terms that a "thick" oil will shear more in an engine specifically designed to run on a "thin" oil. It also depends on just how "thick" the oil is, and how "thin" an oil the engine was designed to run on. This came right from the top tech guy at one of the boutique oil companies. His explanation made a lot of sense at the time. Take it FWIW.

Yep, Honda in particular make reference to reducing radial clearances, increasing journal diameters and widths, particularly with respect to the 16 grade oils coming.

Increase in journal diameter increases relative speed, which increases film thickness. Increasing diameter and length increases surface area, which reduced the apparent pressure on the wedge and increases bearing film thickness. Decreasing radial clearance increases film thickness.

The diameter increase, and clearance reduction increase the shear rate across the oil, and will push non-Newtonian fluids into their high shear behaviour.

40 under temporary shear will still be thicker than a 20, and the polymers may be worked more (but in a bearing, they aren't being cut, like in some of the injector tests)...40 will run hotter average working temperature within the bearing.

So yes, as manufacturers start to actually design for thinner oils, as ipposed to test thinner oils in existing designs and declare them satisfactory, thicker oils will be worked harder, and run hotter.

Which is interesting, because all of the tricks that they are using, closing up clearances, increasing journal diameters, and bearing lengths lead to increased frictional drag...which sort of defeats the purpose of the thinner oils in the first place.

Thinker oil causes more drag and the computer assumes the engine is under load ( but it's not). It pumps excessive fuel which ends up unburned into the sump thinning the oil.

Originally Posted By: Shannow

Yep, Honda in particular make reference to reducing radial clearances, increasing journal diameters and widths, particularly with respect to the 16 grade oils coming.

Increase in journal diameter increases relative speed, which increases film thickness. Increasing diameter and length increases surface area, which reduced the apparent pressure on the wedge and increases bearing film thickness. Decreasing radial clearance increases film thickness.

The diameter increase, and clearance reduction increase the shear rate across the oil, and will push non-Newtonian fluids into their high shear behaviour.

40 under temporary shear will still be thicker than a 20, and the polymers may be worked more (but in a bearing, they aren't being cut, like in some of the injector tests)...40 will run hotter average working temperature within the bearing.

So yes, as manufacturers start to actually design for thinner oils, as ipposed to test thinner oils in existing designs and declare them satisfactory, thicker oils will be worked harder, and run hotter.

Which is interesting, because all of the tricks that they are using, closing up clearances, increasing journal diameters, and bearing lengths lead to increased frictional drag...which sort of defeats the purpose of the thinner oils in the first place.

Thanks for taking my overly simplistic explanation and bringing up a few levels for the more tech savvy people here. I was afraid I'd be flamed, by the way I stated it.

Originally Posted By: yannis
Thinker oil causes more drag and the computer assumes the engine is under load ( but it's not). It pumps excessive fuel which ends up unburned into the sump thinning the oil.

If that was the case, turning on your headlights or carrying a child passenger would dilute your fuel as well...the latter much much worse.

Originally Posted By: yannis

Ummm, in this scenario you've fabricated here, drag IS load. The rest of it is just wild hyperbole.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Your varnish was caused by waiting until 8000 miles to change the oil......not the use the 10W-40.

Yea... i was thinkin 8k on dino oil is the cuase of your problem.

As people tried explaining to you in that thread, the varnish had nothing to do with the oil being thicker and sticking to the metal longer (as you put it).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back