Ford 2014 Escape with the 2.0I OLM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought an '14 Escape with the 2.0 last fall and the other day I finally figured out how to look at the IOLM.
5,034 mi. with 54% remaining.

How many are following the Ford IOLM or changing at a specified mileage?

My intentions are to follow the IOLM as my wifes commute is approx. 80% highway/20% city.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am. I was curious about this new fangled IOLM in my F-150 so I had the oil analyzed at 5K and again at 8300 miles, when the monitor went off. The IOLM was conservative and it tracked the usage very well. I'm sold.

My personal driving habit is a very short commute in cooler weather with few full warm up highway trips. So when the IOLM went off it was still showing good TBN. (additives remaining.) Luckily I ordered a TAN test (acid build up) which was trending higher. In other words, the device picked up, (correctly guessed, really) that my unusual driving habits justified a change, even though I had plenty of additive left.

I also monitored the tick by tick pattern of the monitor as I drove. The machine did not like short trips in cold weather, but what it REALLY dislikes is disuse. Park the car at the airport for a few days and you will see what I mean. On the other hand, the monitor loves highway miles. It seemed to me, although i am not sure, that it will give you brownie points for a little while after a highway trip is over. Now I see why. Those long trips give the additive pack a chance to warm up and activate against the acids.

As a practical matter I don't intend to drive it to the bitter end like that---I ended up trying to scramble around getting my oil changed on labor Day weekend. I see no reason to change the oil before the 10% mark, unless there is a good sale on. The Motorcraft oil is excellent and cheaply priced at the Quicklane places. Not so much for do-it-yourself.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input, thats exactly what I was looking for, some real-world data.

How do you find that? My dad has a 2014 Escape 2.0L EB and I could not find the IOLM reading anywhere.

I was able to get the report online, you have to set up the account through Ford. I have been told you can get at it to report in the car, but I don't know how.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back