Castrol 0w40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Many many years ago (10+), we used to have Castrol Syntec 0w-30 available at retail. Some of it was "made in USA", and some of it was "made in Germany". Lab tests were ran and it was determined that they were in fact different formulations, with the "made in Germany" one being the better one. That's when the name "GC" was born (German Castrol).

Yep, I still have one change of the green '04 vintage to use up from the GC heydays. And I just saw the 0w40 flavor at my local WM for 6.97 a quart. That will likely be my replacement for the GC 0w30....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mathson
Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: supercity
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Because of specific requirements that Germany has for synthetic oils. This 0W40 looks same as European 0W40 on pds, which means it is Group IV oil. American 5W40 Castrol is something I would not put in a car even if they paid me.

The oil is not manufactured for, or sold on the German market. It states not for sale outside of the Americas. So why would it comply with German packaging or other legal requirements? It will have to comply with American legal requirements to be sold in America. It may well be PAO, but I don't believe made in Germany has anything to do with it.

At the end of the day it is the buyer that specifies what formulation they want manufactured. They don't just get what they are given.

Because this 0W40 is same on the paper as 0W40 for the EU market (or German market). If you go on amazon.de it will say Voll-Synth.
Second, it has to do everything since it is made from same base oils. Castrol imports in the U.S. Low-SAPS LL03 for a reason, because it does not make sense to make it here (though, Shell is making PU Ultra L, and it is bit different then Shell Helix Ultra in EU). Why making 0W40 in the U.S. if you are already making it in Germany? Canister does not have to do anything with it. With GC is same thing. Actually 0W30 was made in the U.S. and there was big difference between 0W30 Made in the U.S. and one Made in Germany.
So that is why people pay attention on that.

EU market and German market are two different things. Only if it says Vollsynth in the German market it requires Grp IV. Full Synthetic in France, or Sweden or any other EU country may contain Grp III and it says Full Synthetic in english on the label.

They are. But what I saw so far, they are the same based on numbers.

I just saw this oil too at my local WM, well..at least the price label on the shelf. Someone has been clearing out all M1 and Castrol european car oil, and that WM rarely restocks.

Hi Ed.

Would you like to be an epic hero and try the oil with a uoa... The last time we talked I think you implied that your car has an FSI (EA113) engine in it; or that you knew somebody who had one and was experiencing the oil consumption problems..

Right now I have Pennzoil 5w40 Ultra my 2.0t (FSI) with 130,000 and the engine really seems to love it...

If 0w40 is as robust as 0w30 I'll be happy.....really happy.

Originally Posted By: MichaelDCRogers
Hi Ed.

Would you like to be an epic hero and try the oil with a uoa... The last time we talked I think you implied that your car has an FSI (EA113) engine in it; or that you knew somebody who had one and was experiencing the oil consumption problems..

Right now I have Pennzoil 5w40 Ultra my 2.0t (FSI) with 130,000 and the engine really seems to love it...

If 0w40 is as robust as 0w30 I'll be happy.....really happy.

You refering this to me?
I am currently running M1 ESP 5W30 Low-SAPS. I have 900 miles to go before I hit 3K, then I will do UOA.
If UOA indicates that oil could do 5K, I will go 5K on new fill and do UOA at 5K. If UOA turns bad, I will switch to Castrol 0W40 because I saw it yesterday at WM too.
That is if I do not sell car, since I decided I need AWD here, and right now I am shooting for 335i xDrive.
But if I go to 0W40 Castrol, regardless of a car, I will do UOA.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back