Continental PureContact Tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw tirerack finally has added these tires. I know they are relatively new but has anyone run them?

They look awesome and Tirerack testing gave them excellent remarks for wet traction. I would be interested in seeing how they pan out since they compete with Comfortred Touring in mileage and performance category.

Another tire I am keeping an eye out for is Dunlop Signature II. They are a very recent introduction into the market and all reviews from our customers seem favourable. Quiet ride, good traction in wet and snow and excellent wear rate. Also price point in the market is excellent. It gets my vote for the next sleeper tire.

Seem pretty good, as far as the reviews go, but Ive had really good results with their ContiExtreme DWS. Great traction and very affordable. We've probably mounted about 10 sets from a Mazda 3 to a Porsche Cayenne Turbo and 540i sport and every customer is very happy. One slight complaint we hear is that they're a little softer than most tires.

Mounted 4 on the Corolla last month... But the car is driven by my daughter... So far they seem quiet and good handling, but I've only put a few miles on them...

Originally Posted By: bourne

Another tire I am keeping an eye out for is Dunlop Signature II. They are a very recent introduction into the market and all reviews from our customers seem favourable. Quiet ride, good traction in wet and snow and excellent wear rate. Also price point in the market is excellent. It gets my vote for the next sleeper tire.

These tires intrigue me as well despite the fact Dunlop is owned by Goodyear( big negative for me ). I like the tread pattern as it looks to be a good one for snow. Also noted a decent load carrying capacity and a higher than usual Max PSI rating( 51 for sizes I looked at ). The 620 AB UTQG is very good too. I agree the price is right as well.

One of the draw backs to my Jeep is the complete lack of decent tires available for it in the OE 17" sizes. Not much room to upsize either without having to add a lift and/or wheel spacers. No ability through the dealer or aftermarket to adjust the speedo either so you are really up a creek if that matters to you.

Just recently Yokohama came out with the Geolander AT/S tires in one of the OE 17" sizes and it is the 1st AT in that size other than the OE Wrangler SR-A which is a god awful tire. Basically you only have passennger car class tires available with the most popular for the Patriots and Compass being the Hankook Optimo H727's and Cooper CS4's. Both good tires but not what I am after.

When I saw the new Dunlops though the tread caught my eye right off and then the spec's shortly after. I am actually heading out today to try and find a dealer with them in the size I am after to see what I think of them in person? Also going to look at another new tire in the Firestone Precision Touring. Another good tread pattern if you have snow but the spec's aren't as good as the Dunlops. Approx same price range however.

Dunlop Signature II:
du_sig2_t_1000.jpg

Firestone Precision Touring:
fs_precision_tour_1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: volk06
I saw tirerack finally has added these tires. I know they are relatively new but has anyone run them?

No experience with them but the spec's are good. Not sure on the tread pattern though? Doesn't look great for snow or rain but maybe?

I hope for Dunlop's sake that, the new Signature II remain a quiet tire for the duration of the tire life, as the previous SIGNATURE Tires are known for becoming noticably noisy. In fact, they get quite loud causing the vehicle owner to think that they have wheel bearing issues. Myself and 3 others that I know, all have had the same complaint.

The Firestone Precision Touring are getting nice customer reviews on the tire rack. I'd like to see some other tire tests from other agencys.

Last edited:
Take it for what it's worth, but in the recent Consumer Reports November 2012 tire test, the PureContact was the #2 rated tire. The test car for that test happened to be a 2012 Cruze, so this tire is running high for a replacement tire for my Cruze.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Take it for what it's worth, but in the recent Consumer Reports November 2012 tire test, the PureContact was the #2 rated tire. The test car for that test happened to be a 2012 Cruze, so this tire is running high for a replacement tire for my Cruze.

Don't ya just love it when a tire test is using the same car and tire size that you currently own? At least you'll know what's best for your vehicle
smile.gif

I have to rely on customer reviews(a nice feature) and have to narrow my search to my vehicle brand. If I am lucky, there are enough folks driving my same model in a similar climate and driving style.

I have never picked CR best(#1) tire in a specific catigory. Although, I have picked the best tire in that catigory for our specific needs, climate and driving style(usually in the top 3-4) So, I guess we picked the best tire.

I have been very happy with our choices of tires since we've been buying tires according to test score/ratings & customer reviews, as compared to letting the tire store sales person help us. In which we've almost never been happy and spent too much money for less than steller tires(often private label).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
I hope for Dunlop's sake that, the new Signature II remain a quiet tire for the duration of the tire life, as the previous SIGNATURE Tires are known for becoming noticably noisy. In fact, they get quite loud causing the vehicle owner to think that they have wheel bearing issues. Myself and 3 others that I know, all have had the same complaint.

The Firestone Precision Touring are getting nice customer reviews on the tire rack. I'd like to see some other tire tests from other agencys.

Agreed! I was not a fan of the older signatures. Thats why I have been looking forward to the redesign, and so far it has delivered. No experience with the Firestone tire. The older Signatures lost traction around 5~6/32nds as well.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

These tires intrigue me as well despite the fact Dunlop is owned by Goodyear( big negative for me ). I like the tread pattern as it looks to be a good one for snow. Also noted a decent load carrying capacity and a higher than usual Max PSI rating( 51 for sizes I looked at ). The 620 AB UTQG is very good too. I agree the price is right as well.

One of the draw backs to my Jeep is the complete lack of decent tires available for it in the OE 17" sizes. Not much room to upsize either without having to add a lift and/or wheel spacers. No ability through the dealer or aftermarket to adjust the speedo either so you are really up a creek if that matters to you.

Just recently Yokohama came out with the Geolander AT/S tires in one of the OE 17" sizes and it is the 1st AT in that size other than the OE Wrangler SR-A which is a god awful tire. Basically you only have passennger car class tires available with the most popular for the Patriots and Compass being the Hankook Optimo H727's and Cooper CS4's. Both good tires but not what I am after.

When I saw the new Dunlops though the tread caught my eye right off and then the spec's shortly after. I am actually heading out today to try and find a dealer with them in the size I am after to see what I think of them in person? Also going to look at another new tire in the Firestone Precision Touring. Another good tread pattern if you have snow but the spec's aren't as good as the Dunlops. Approx same price range however.

Looking forward to your reviews/opinions on the tire.

Dunlop USA started as a 75% Goodyear, 25% Sumitomo venture. I believe Goodyear has started taking more control/stake in the company however. The worldwide company ownership is a bit confusing, maybe this website will help.

Originally Posted By: bourne
Originally Posted By: Char Baby

Agreed! I was not a fan of the older signatures. Thats why I have been looking forward to the redesign, and so far it has delivered. No experience with the Firestone tire. The older Signatures lost traction around 5~6/32nds as well.

We got rid of the Signatures at ~5/32nds as they were just too noisy even after balance/rotations. The rubber had become hard and sidewall had many cracks although I must admit, the ride over impacts was OK but, the tread was wearing funny in spots as if the steel belts were slipping internaly! Struts, allignment & susspension parts all check out fine.

Replaced the Signatures with Hankook Optimo H727. Now with 24K miles on the H727, they're wearing very well.

Im not surprised. Like I mentioned, I wasnt a big fan of those tires. The new Signature II however are tires I will put on my or my family's vehicles any day.

I'm considering the Dunlop Signature II tires for 2003 Camry and see this thread. Wonder if those of you who spoke about this tire and are still at this website, if you might update your opinions of the Signature II's. I would like to hear how the tire is a year later for those using them. And especially anyone who has been around this Winter's storms. But dry, wet, noise, traction updates welcomed. I actually don't expect much from tires and snow. Front wheel drive helps so much anyway.
The reviews over the past year have ranged so wide. Not sure how consistent the tires are by this range. I've got a price quote that is difficult to pass up.

Just want to know about the Signature II's. I'm all set with info for several other brands/models of tires that have been recommended.
And not to mention, I agree fully about the Cont. Pure Contacts. Looks great. But more expensive where I"m shopping.

Thank you!

Massachusetts
2003 Toyota Camry XLE, 4 cyl, 215/60/16, automatic. 128,000miles

We put a set of Pure Contatcs on the Forester last May.
I think TR had them in the required size at that time, although I bought these from treaddepot, IIRC.
They seem quiet and comfortable and are good in snow and rain.
Of course, any new tire would be pretty okay in snow and rain.
This is an asymetrical tire, like the DWS.
I'd consider the Pure a good choice overall and it should offer much longer tread life than the DWS, but we'll see.

UPDATE about SIGNATURE II's: Want to let you know I went with a full set of the tires. The price was so good and included all installation AND a front & rear alignment! $511.00 Wow.

Also looked at Tokohama Ascend (not AVID, but forget name). I had Tokohama's and they wore badly, at 32,000 miles. So I wasn't wasn't enthusiatic to try pursue warranty and get similar problem.

Signature II tires for 5-6 weeks: rides very very good. Really grips road. Good on wet and dry, and ok I think on snow. Can't grab well on ice. Didn't expect it to. Smooth ride. Not sure about noise level (I think there is some exhaust issue going on too). The expected mileage and warranty look very nice.
But the car is at 129,000 miles. 50,000 more for this car in very very good condition? That would be great.
I am very happy with the tires and purchase.

Hope this is helpful to others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back