Amsoil Ea15K13 cut open

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is from my mom's 06 odyssey recently sold. the filter was in service since december 12 2012, clocking in 26417 miles. majority of driving on the vehicle during this time was 200 mile trips every couple days, with two 1800 mile trips for vacation, two 800 mile trips for my dad taking a vacation, and various driving around the city.

Ea15K13

Last edited:
Link should be up now. Not sure why i can never get this to work from my phone, so i had to grab the computer real quick. seems to be working

Link works! Thanks! Interesting. Looks a little too dirty from what I can see. How was it in person? Perhaps a slightly lower oci?

The pleats were still in pretty good shape. Almost seemed like it was a bit thicker than other times the oil was drained. After the run I do think the filter does a good job standing up to the miles, but probably wouldn't go past the 15k on that kind of motor. The sample will be sent in Tuesday so I can see how the oil stood up. The ADBV was still in good shape, pliable, but the edges felt rigid compared to the purolator I cut a while back. The bypass worked fine, no tears in the media, just nasty looking.

I tried to get it but couldn't spread too much with the end caps how they are right now. But I tell you what, I haven't thrown it out yet... I'll see if I can get a few more pictures, then try to lay the media out flat if I can.

I have to say, you have guts. Personally, I don't see going through the trouble to order the boutique oil and filter just to leave it in so long that I will not have had a decent nights sleep in months and will have gnawed my fingernails down to the 2nd knuckle. (Sorry about the run on sentence) But, that is just the way I am.

Is that filter one of the Amsoils rated for 25K FCIs? I'm assuming you changed the oil once or twice over the 26K miles this filter was on. It almost looks like there might be some slight sludging going on.
shocked.gif

No oil or filter change for the whole time. Topped off 2.5 quarts during the OCI. Amsoil Signature Series 5W20. One quart at 10k, another at 18ish and it was around a quart to quart and a half low at change. The oil came out was indeed nasty.

25k under "normal" conditions. 15k under "severe" if just weighing the two with the way the vehicle was driven, 18-20 would have probably been optimal.

Originally Posted By: Voltmaster
over 26000 on a filter? shame on you!

Huh.
I feel the opposite and I think he should be commended for using the product to its full potential rather than throw away perfectly good filters.
If the engine is clean inside 25000 miles should be easy.

Those Ea15 series filters were only meant to go 15,000 miles. I would say it doesn't look bad for having almost double the miles it was made for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back