WHY leave trailer hitch on !

Status
Not open for further replies.
surfstar- one more thing...

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Your "observations" [...] is merely subjective hearsay in this argument. You seem quite adamant that you're presenting "facts" [...]

Not sure if you've actually read this thread, but I think I was pretty clear above when I responded to whip's question:
Originally Posted By: whip
...have there been studies to prove this?

Originally Posted By: moving2

It is anecdotal evidence presented as my observations and experience over 12 years driving both with and without a hitch on busy LA freeways where tailgating is quite common. Drivers tailgate me less often, and leave more space when following me and when coming to a stop behind my vehicle; the difference is pretty noticeable. You may not be one of those drivers who is more cautious around a hitch, but my observation is that a lot of other drivers are. And, while I can understand your need for a scientific study, because the difference was readily apparent in my experience, that's all I need to know to leave the hitch on; not to mention the protection it has offered my vehicle in 2 accidents- see above.

If you're truly interested in obtaining statistically significant data, please do let me know what you find.

If you read that as presenting "facts" vs. explaining why I leave my hitch on based on my experience driving with it on and off, then might I politely suggest you work on your reading comprehension.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Traction
Here is a study that claims less rear damage, but higher risk of whiplash, which can be a issue with insurance companies.Something has to give. Your bumper or your neck.
http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2011/04/how-receiver-hitches-affect-rear-end.html

No conflict of interest there...
Quote:
About the author:
Jeff is CEO of Mohr
Mfg
and is an expert in rear end collisions - especially those associated with ball mounts and receiver hitches. His company manufacturers patented, portable, crash tested, energy absorbing rear safety guards for vehicles equipped with receiver hitches. These spare bumpers, ball mounts, hitch steps, and bumper shields soften the “crash pulse” to prevent whiplash and reduce rear end collision damage caused by tailgaters, uninsured motorists, bumper to bumper traffic, distracted drivers, inattentive cell phone users, drivers with poor judgment, text messengers and lousy parallel parkers. For more information visit their web site: http://www.sparebumper.com

The article fails to mention an important tradeoff: crash forces are only one factor in crash safety; preservation of the safety cage is another. The same stiff tow bar attached to a vehicle's frame that can transfer more forces to passengers in a low speed crash...can also cause the rear end of the vehicle to deform less in a high speed crash by transferring more crash forces to the frame vs. the comparatively "soft" body, potentially providing additional protection to the passenger compartment. Also, "low speed rear end collisions (less than 10 mph) accentuate the whiplash more than high speed ones" according to this article.

I always left mine in to maximize damage to the car that ran into me. It basically guarantees they'll have to get a tow.

Take that, jerk!

Here is a study that claims less rear damage, but higher risk of whiplash, which can be a issue with insurance companies.Something has to give. Your bumper or your neck.
http://alerts.nationalsafetycommission.com/2011/04/how-receiver-hitches-affect-rear-end.html

That study is retarded, at least concerning the US and pickup trucks. If my ball mount wasn't in you'd hit the wider and stronger receiver first. If anything the small area of the ball mount would help soften the impact before the out of control vehicle got to the receiver.

I leave my ball in for several reasons that benefit me. I do not have any concern for people in out of control vehicles or people brushing up against my vehicle in a parking lot.

Originally Posted By: FXjohn
wow, 27 pages. LOL

I thought this thread was done!

Thanks a lot.

Still amazes me how many people leave them in to annoy people, and only look out for themselves. I am not surprised.

Still amazes me how many people leave them in to annoy people, and only look out for themselves. I am not surprised.

Traction- still amazes me how many people drive carelessly, without regard to others' safety, and end up rear-ending innocent victims, trailer hitch or no. These people are only looking out for themselves and their cellphones, usually.

Two sides of a coin some fail to see, apparently.

Sad, but I am not surprised.

Traction- still amazes me how many people drive carelessly, without regard to others' safety, and end up rear-ending innocent victims, trailer hitch or no. These people are only looking out for themselves and their cellphones, usually.

Two sides of a coin some fail to see, apparently.

Sad, but I am not surprised.

Really? I have not been involved in a rear end accident in 18 years. Trust me cell phones were not a factor.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Really? I have not been involved in a rear end accident in 18 years. Trust me cell phones were not a factor.

dave1251- Really? Good for you, you must be quite lucky then. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here, though. Do tell. And actually, cellphones were not a factor in my 2 rear-enders either. Careless drivers and alcohol and drugs were- I got rear-ended at stoplights, both from quite a distance and with nowhere for me to go, and one of the drivers kept accelerating after rear-ending me.

Trust me, whatever magical skills you think you possess to avoid rear-enders, they are not always avoidable.

FYI:
Maricopa, AZ- Population: 44,803
Los Angeles, CA- Population: 3,858,000

That's almost 100x the population, FYI. Yeah, let that sink in a bit.

Now try moving to LA or another BIG city, drive there for 12 years, then get back to me. I'm gonna guess you're overestimating your driving skill and underestimating your luck and the fact you are driving in MUCH easier surroundings.

dave1251- Really? Good for you, you must be quite lucky then. I'm not sure what you're trying to imply here, though. Do tell. And actually, cellphones were not a factor in my 2 rear-enders either. Careless drivers and alcohol and drugs were- I got rear-ended at stoplights, both from quite a distance and with nowhere for me to go, and one of the drivers kept accelerating after rear-ending me.

Trust me, whatever magical skills you think you possess to avoid rear-enders, they are not always avoidable.

FYI:

Now try moving to LA or another BIG city, drive there for 12 years, then get back to me. I'm gonna guess you're overestimating your driving skill and underestimating your luck and the fact you are driving in MUCH easier surroundings.

I lived in and drove for 12 years in San Diego for 12 years let that sink in for a bit.

I lived in and drove for 12 years in San Diego for 12 years let that sink in for a bit.

dave1251- About 1/3 the population of LA? Not much to let sink in. I've driven the 805S and the 5N during rush-hour many times. Peanuts. Also, you have yet to explain what you were trying to imply with your post (that it had nothing to do with cellphones), nor your magical rear-end avoidance skills. Do tell.

FYI:

Obviously you know nothing about AZ.
Maricopa is just outside of Phoenix. Phoenix with its neighbor towns (which there is no gap between cities) with Mesa, chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Avondale and more is over 4 million people

Originally Posted By: Nick1994

Obviously you know nothing about AZ.
Maricopa is just outside of Phoenix. Phoenix with its neighbor towns (which there is no gap between cities) with Mesa, chandler, Gilbert, Scottsdale, Peoria, Glendale, Avondale and more is over 4 million people

Nick1994- and you obviously know nothing about Los Angeles. If we're comparing metro areas, fine.

Phoenix =3.252 million
LA = 16.37 million

Questions?

dave1251- About 1/3 the population of LA? Not much to let sink in. I've driven the 805S and the 5N during rush-hour many times. Peanuts. Also, you have yet to explain what you were trying to imply with your post (that it had nothing to do with cellphones), nor your magical rear-end avoidance skills. Do tell.

Lets see I drive about 200 miles a day four days a week for work in a F250 service body. 120 miles a week getting to work in a F150 FX4. Once a month I drive to the Mexicali area to visit my in laws normally in a Focus. There is no rear end avoidance. I rather drive in the L.A. area than Mexicali. Leaving in a trailer hitch in is not accident avoidance. If someone is going to rear end you. You are going to get rear ended. A distracted driver will not notice a hitch in or not because the driver is distracted.

Lets see I drive about 200 miles a day four days a week for work in a F250 service body. 120 miles a week getting to work in a F150 FX4. Once a month I drive to the Mexicali area to visit my in laws normally in a Focus. There is no rear end avoidance. I rather drive in the L.A. area than Mexicali.

dave1251-

1. If there is no rear-end avoidance, as you say, then what was your point in mentioning you have never been rear-ended in 18 years, and cellphones have nothing to do with it?

Leaving in a trailer hitch in is not accident avoidance. If someone is going to rear end you. You are going to get rear ended. A distracted driver will not notice a hitch in or not because the drive is distracted.

a) As for a trailer hitch being accident avoidance, that depends. If people follow a vehicle with a hitch more cautiously than they do one with no hitch (which may include distracted drivers being less distracted), then you are probably better off rear-ender-wise. This is what I have observed. Maybe your experience differs.

b) You're correct in that a distracted/drunk/high driver is going to hit you one way or another. The difference is the damage they do, or do not do. In my case, I received NO damage in 2 rear-enders thanks to my trailer hitch.

Yeah, because everyone lives in a big city, that is important.

You know, it wasn't until this thread that I started noticing just how many people have the trailer hitch left in. For some reason I just filtered it out. Now I can't help but notice.

Thanks very much!

mad.gif

supton said:
You know, it wasn't until this thread that I started noticing just how many people have the trailer hitch left in. For some reason I just filtered it out. Now I can't help but notice.

/quote]

No doubt, and it is not just trucks. There are a ton of mini-vans and SUVs around here with them left in as well.
Like I said I don't care either way, but it is pretty common.

I can't stop laughing at the way Moving2 presents his opinion as fact, but disregards all other opinions as rubbish. At least it's entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back