1997 Ford F-250HD 4X4 Oil Choice(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Board! I've been reading posts here for quite a few years, and I've picked up a lot of good info. I believe this is my first post, though.

I own a 1997 Ford F-250HD4X4 with a 460 gas motor, it doesn't get driven a lot, it currently has around 82K on it. Up until recently, I've used the following Conventional Brands: Valvoline, Quaker State, Castrol GTX, Chevron Supreme, Pennzoil YB, and I typically change the oil twice a year, Fall and Spring. I used to use 10W30 in the Spring/Summer and 5W30 in the Fall/Winter. Over the last year, from reading here, I've stayed with 5W30 year round and last Fall I put in 3 quarts of Pennzoil High Mileage 5W30 with 3 quarts of Pennzoil Platinum 5W30.

I don't tow anything, and I try to drive the truck 10 to 20 miles once a month, Highway/Freeway, just to keep the battery charged, seals good, etc.

I drove about 10 miles round trip to the City Dump today to the as the family filled the bed with Spring Cleaning trash.

OK, sorry for rambling, but here comes my question: I've driven less than 500 miles since the last time I changed my oil last Fall, -would it be ok to change my oil once a year?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Yes it will be OK to change once a year. But I would at least once a month drive at least 30 minutes of highway driving to get all your fluids up to temperature.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Yes it will be OK to change once a year. But I would at least once a month drive at least 30 minutes of highway driving to get all your fluids up to temperature.

Pretty much.

Just an update, and thanks to everyone for their advice. I've been driving my F-250 a bit more lately. Typical 460; it passes everything but the gas station.
grin.gif

I changed the oil and oil filter a few days ago and went with Mobil 1 HM 5W30 and a Napa Gold filter. My Butt Dyno likes how the truck is running.
laugh.gif

I plan on putting some money back into it on a few minor mechanical and maintenance items and then get it a new paint job.

Considering my nephew paid close to $55K for his new decked out F-150, I'm more than happy with my F-250 as it's paid for!
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back