How can a plastic piece cost so much?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was tearing down my PX4C last night on the couch and went to put it back together, realized I was missing the recoil spring cover/locking block assembly. It of course was there during the teardown but nowhere to be found now. We proceeded to look diligently and then step by step tore the living room apart. Nothing. It vanished into thin air. So I think "no big deal i will just order another one". I'm looking online and I notice on Brownell's the part(s) I'm looking for are $80. Now how does two pieces of plastic come to cost $80 and how can they get away with that? I think I am stuck because we haven't turned up the part yet and there's no place we think it could have gone.

It astounds me it costs so much though.

Probably a low volume SKU in the replacement part arena. You would be amazed at what Ford wants for some parts when you see it in your hand and then look at the price tag.

How can they get away with it? If they are the only one offering it,they could charge $1000 if they wanted to.

Originally Posted By: NHGUY
How can they get away with it? If they are the only one offering it,they could charge $1000 if they wanted to.

The gun only costs $549, but I get your point.

Originally Posted By: widman
I have to replace the plastic windshield washer tank on my Grand Cherokee. $569

shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: widman
I have to replace the plastic windshield washer tank on my Grand Cherokee. $569

Ouch. Try bringing a spray bottle instead. Junkyard pull? Custom fab a smaller one?

yeah, I would be going to the junkyard. Or heck I would keep a bottle of windex inside and reach out and spray it before I forked out over 500 bucks

Originally Posted By: Barkleymut
Or heck I would keep a bottle of windex inside and reach out and spray it before I forked out over 500 bucks

crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zerosoma
... we haven't turned up the part yet and there's no place we think it could have gone.

Did it go flying off someplace during disassemble from the spring pressure?

I found it. It was attached to the frame itself but locked in place. The release levers had reset but the spring and barrel and slide were not connected so of course I never imagined t was still in the frame. It remained incognito and I thought it was part of the frame. What a relief though, couldn't imagine losing a part that big.

In my case my insurance will pay for it and end up eating it cause the kid who hit me had no license, tags, or insurance.
In addition to the tank, it is $200 to straighten and paint the fender, plus $713 for the new front wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back