Is your AAA service paid up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Number21
Originally Posted By: 99Saturn
I thought a lot of insurance companies today offer towing coverage?

Sure, "to the closest shop", but AAA tows me 100 miles. Wherever I happen to be, the closest shop is most likely not where I want my vehicle taken. Also, I've never ever heard a good story about customer service from any insurance carrier. My own experience shows me they all behave the same way Autovantage does - and that is, when you need them, they turn into weasels. I find it hard to trust any auto related company, but insurance companies are at the bottom of my list, below used car salesmen.

I'm sure some other people have been unhappy with AAA before but at least the local version has proven to do me right.

11.gif
I'm sure AAA local results and the rep that answers the phone (if one answers) cause results to vary greatly. I'm sure that goes the same for car insurance add on coverage.

Since you said you never have heard a story about good customer service form an insurance company, I'll give you mine. Broke down on the way to work one day - called local indy I use (~20 miles away). Tow truck sent, picked up, received bill for full time to go both ways, paid, brought to local rep's office on the following Saturday (I don't get home during the week before their office closes) and received a check for the full amount of the bill. Granted, I did bypass whatever the 800 # was that I was supposed to call since I knew who I wanted to be towed by. They happen to be one of a few places locally that tows for AAA and other insurance carriers but I was in the next county over so I knew that wasn't who I would get calling an 800 #.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Yeah, tow companies are amongst the ranks of the biggest crooks, so it's nice to have a third party deal with it.

While that is true, some wreckers cost big, big money, so there is overhead to deal with too. For example, one that will tow an 18 wheeler w/loaded trailer can cost over 400K.

Had AAA until the refused to deliver diesel fuel to my dad when he ran out of fuel on an old Mercedes thats fuel gauge was not working properly.......they said transporting diesel was too dangerous!

Originally Posted By: mcrn
Had AAA until the refused to deliver diesel fuel to my dad when he ran out of fuel on an old Mercedes thats fuel gauge was not working properly.......they said transporting diesel was too dangerous!

That sounds like utter nonsense!

I found it overpriced for needs and usage. Progressive offers a $12/vehicle plan x 2 instead of spendy $100+.

I have yet to use towing in 20 years of car ownership ever. Not going to jinx myself but Subaru XT, Honda Civic, Subaru WRX and now Acura MDX all beyond reliable as have been wife Honda and Subaru.

I carry my own jumper cables so that is all set too.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: mcrn

That sounds like utter nonsense!

lol thats what we thought too! Then we found out no matter what year and what owner....Mercedes offers free road side assistance.....at least they did then. Not sure if they still do. I loved that about Mercedes.

I have it through USAA and it includes my trailer. It is an adjustment on the auto policy for each car. I have had to use it once. Worth it in the case I did as I lost an aftermarket transmission cooler line. What a mess!

With my Toyota Platinum Warranty I get free towing and rental assistance.

I'd get AAA if I was without, but since the wife leases she is also covered for towing and mishaps as well. AAA is worth it if your without any type of assistance/coverage and pays for itself that one time something unfortunate happens.

My Mom added me to her policy in 1967 when i turned 16: my AAA card says I've been a "member since 1953" which is probably when my Dad signed her up and we got a 2nd car.

I've had my motorcycles towed, the F250 with a camper, etc.

ONE tow/flat/lockout/gas problem per year more than justifies our memberships and I still consider it one of the best investments one can make, especially if you own multiple vehicles.

Cheers!

Ive always had great experiences with AAA.
I have the PLUS membership because I work upstate in the summer and I need the extra mileage.

Last time I used them, they got to me in 15 minutes at 2am on a Saturday night.
I mostly drive older cars, so having AAA is well spent piece of mind.

Ive heard using insurance company plans can raise your premium should you utilize it enough, so I stick with AAA.

Folks balk about paying for "extended" warranties and pinching pennies. However towing service they seem all over. I am hoping you folks use maybe once in 5-10 years. But that means you forked about $500-$1000 you never used. I think the odds are for you things won't go wrong. At least my experience with Honda/Acura, Subaru and even VW.

Note I waste $24 on Progressive service, however that is wife's insistence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rjundi
Folks balk about paying for "extended" warranties and pinching pennies. However towing service they seem all over. I am hoping you folks use maybe once in 5-10 years. But that means you forked about $500-$1000 you never used. I think the odds are for you things won't go wrong. At least my experience with Honda/Acura, Subaru and even VW.

You don't tow heavy often...nice to know if you are towing 7500lbs they will come get you, or you have a defective part. Never guessed I would have an aftermarket hose fail, but I did. Towing made things easy.

My AAA+ saved me about 5 years' premiums when the variators on my scooter took a dump last year. Almost a 55-mile tow on a flatbed, with special equipment (MC dolly) would have cost me $450! Other than that, used it 3 times in 5 years: fuel pump wire in my Jeep (~25 mile flatbed tow), flat tire (in pouring rain) on my Magnum, and locked myself out of my Jeep in the middle of rural Connecticut. Also had Liz's Festiva towed home when the engine scattered.

I have had AAA for 32 years. Initially, it was a gift to me from my Grandmother when I was commuting 60 miles/daily to college. I saw the utility of it and as a result, I have had it for years.

There have been times when I was not too happy, such as the time that AAA almost got my car impounded by Columbus Police when they sent out an unmarked/unlicensed tow truck and driver to tow my car when it broke down. I was really unhappy when my wife had a flat, and they sent someone out to change it and they refused too because it "was not totally flat." When I had to drive 35 miles to change it and took a pressure gauge to it, it had < 5 lbs. of air in it. Flat enough for me. They got a personal visit from me and I got a free year out of it.

The real plus for me is that should I break down, I do not have to worry about finding someone to tow my car or worry about getting reimbursed. Yes, there have been years that I have not used it. However, there have been years like 2012 that I was towed twice and the sum total would have been more than the yearly membership.

For me it is about piece of mind, and sometimes that costs money.

Originally Posted By: ls1mike

You don't tow heavy often...nice to know if you are towing 7500lbs they will come get you, or you have a defective part. Never guessed I would have an aftermarket hose fail, but I did. Towing made things easy.

Agreed , when towing heavy(RV?) the cost of AAA is a drop in bucket compared to the excessive costs in 9-12MPG and all else involved.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle

My AAA+ saved me about 5 years' premiums when the variators on my scooter took a dump last year. Almost a 55-mile tow on a flatbed, with special equipment (MC dolly) would have cost me $450! Other than that, used it 3 times in 5 years: fuel pump wire in my Jeep (~25 mile flatbed tow), flat tire (in pouring rain) on my Magnum, and locked myself out of my Jeep in the middle of rural Connecticut. Also had Liz's Festiva towed home when the engine scattered.

Agreed on your end, my vehicles(Subaru & Honda) are either more reliable or plain luck over twenty years.

What most people don't know is that insurance companies and other sellers of road service do is contract out to one of two national networks. They have about 20% of the call volume of the AAA federation. That's one reason why even though they're cheaper, you'll wait longer; because AAA is really everywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back