05 Dodge Cummins Oil and OCI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey yall, first time owing a diesel truck.... I had just gotten it in October of last year. First oil change I did I went with the Rotella T6 as we had one [censored] cold winter.

I am wondering a few things... Do I stick with the T6 year round, go to dino Rotella for summer, or I have thought about using the John Deere Plus 50 oil that I use in the tractors.

As far as OCI.. I wont be putting more than 10k / year on this truck.. Should I change oil spring and fall irregardless of miles to put 5w-40 in or not?

You could use T6 year round, although T5 might also work well and is less expensive.
There is a MIR deal on Rotella right now.
Delo 5W-40 is cheaper than T6 at regular price at Walmart and would also be a good oil.
FWIU, JD +50 is a very good oil and might be the least costly choice.

first:
welcome2.gif

If you are already using JD+50 in 10w-30, or can get it at a reasonable cost, I'd suggest that year round.

I run Rotella 10w-30 conventional lube year round in my Dmax in IN; gets just as cold and hot as you get. Works great and I've got tons of data to prove it.

roadrunner1 uses the 10w-30 JD+50 in his 6.0L PSD; gets fantastic results with UOAs to prove it. He's in OH as I recall.

You don't need synthetic in your area for temp concerns; it won't get hot or cold enough to matter. The only reason you would have to run syns is if you intend to greatly extend your OCIs. If not, it's a total waste.

UOAs are the best way to know what's happening with your lube and equipment. Start out at 5k miles on a few; get some history on your rig. The push out your OCIs. I suspect you can probably go for an entire year on one load.

Last edited:
For a 2005 Cummins Dodge, you need a CI4+ or CJ4 oil. If the EGR system is still functional, it will put more soot in the oil than pre-2003 trucks. I have been running 24,000-mile intervals on my 2001, and the UOA's have looked fine. Running RT6 year-round for 10k-mile change interval will not be a problem.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
For a 2005 Cummins Dodge, you need a CI4+ or CJ4 oil. If the EGR system is still functional, it will put more soot in the oil than pre-2003 trucks. I have been running 24,000-mile intervals on my 2001, and the UOA's have looked fine. Running RT6 year-round for 10k-mile change interval will not be a problem.

No EGR on 5.9L Dodges, Though medium duty applications I've seen do.

Last edited:
Extra soot is from the 2nd injection event, Dodge recommends a 10K OCI under standard conditions, and a quality synthetic like T6 can run 10K, or even multiple years if your mileage is low (as mine is).

There is no EGR or regens in this 05 that I'm aware of, or do I have that wrong?

There is no need for T6 or even T5.

Last edited:
I use 10w-30 T5 in my '06 5.9l 3/4 ton. Picked up an extra several mpg from going to a thirty-weight oil vs the T6. Well, to be honest, I use 2/3rds T5 & 1/3rd T6 as I had a fair bit of T6 on hand. I get Fleetguard filters at a local Cummins regional distrbutor for around thirteen or so dollars. I change it out twice a year given my easy usage. I haul a relatively light (for this truck) 5th wheel trailer in the summer & then use it to run short cycles back & forth to work (~10 miles each way) once the bike gets put away for the winter. I change once the grass is visible again & change it the second time once the frost hits in the Fall. I think it's a good regimen for long life. Use Baldwin high-quality fuel filters now. I am sure that conventional 10w-30 HDEO would be just fine in my application. I simply find that the cost of T5 to be such a bargain for that fine oil that I am good w/ it!

John.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
I use 10w-30 T5 in my '06 5.9l 3/4 ton. Picked up an extra several mpg from going to a thirty-weight oil vs the T6. Well, to be honest, I use 2/3rds T5 & 1/3rd T6 as I had a fair bit of T6 on hand. I get Fleetguard filters at a local Cummins regional distrbutor for around thirteen or so dollars. I change it out twice a year given my easy usage. I haul a relatively light (for this truck) 5th wheel trailer in the summer & then use it to run short cycles back & forth to work (~10 miles each way) once the bike gets put away for the winter. I change once the grass is visible again & change it the second time once the frost hits in the Fall. I think it's a good regimen for long life. Use Baldwin high-quality fuel filters now. I am sure that conventional 10w-30 HDEO would be just fine in my application. I simply find that the cost of T5 to be such a bargain for that fine oil that I am good w/ it!

John.

Sounds like good common sense and knowing what you have is applied here. If more owners would do this, they would see the benefits.

... Picked up an extra several mpg from going to a thirty-weight oil vs the T6. Well, to be honest, I use 2/3rds T5 & 1/3rd T6 as I had a fair bit of T6 on hand ...

John.

You picked up "extra several mpg" by going from a 40 grade to a 33.333 grade? Ummmmmmm .... whatever ....

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
... Picked up an extra several mpg from going to a thirty-weight oil vs the T6. Well, to be honest, I use 2/3rds T5 & 1/3rd T6 as I had a fair bit of T6 on hand ...

John.

You picked up "extra several mpg" by going from a 40 grade to a 33.333 grade? Ummmmmmm .... whatever ....

No kidding.
I went 2 grades thicker,from a 20 to a 40 and yes I'm sure there was some change in fuel consumption I couldn't read it as I calculated each tanks mileage and my mpg display didn't change at all.
My commute is consistent and the only factor that changes is wind.
Going a single grade thicker would barely be perceptible.
Heck don't we have a member with a hybrid or something that went from the prescribed 0w-20 to a 15w-40 and iirc he went from 47mpg to 45mpg,which in the real world is just noise and not statistically relevant.

Oh I know guys, no need to get snarky ("Whatever"), I could be wrong. My experience in using the same truck in a fairly consistent fashion over, lessee, I think, five years & only changing the one parameter is what leads me to believe that the powertain is running a litle bit more efficiently. And it was a few sumps' worth of three gallons of T5 (sans any T6) while towing that really showed a difference OVER TIME. Hand calaculated as well, not going off the lie-o-meter (though that thing is surprisingly accurate in the truck) at fill-ups.

Make of it what you will but please let's stick to the same application. My application (same as the OP's application) has responded really well to the mentioned change. How well? Went from a day-in, day-out 16 mpg while towing the 5th wheel to 18.5 mpg. Truck's bone stock. That's what, a thirteen per cent increase? That red herring that was mentioned lost around four per cent I think. I'm seeing a much a smaller improvement when unloaded & running the highway (5 - 7%) which may not really be statistically significant BUT it is consistently better than it was before. Perhaps this version of the 5.9 litre Cummins (325/610) jives on a thirty weight oil. It would be interesting to me if others saw something similar.

Dnewton I have no reason to lie to you or anybody else here. I saw what I saw. I could be completely wrong-headed I suppose, but I really don't think so. I always stand to be corrected & usually take good advice. I also mind my manners. I have read MANY of your posts here for a loooong time now. I read much & comment little unless I feel that I have something constructive to add. Your previous posts are why I decided to make the change to a thirty-weight oil in the first instance. Thanks for that! It seems to be working really well for me. I have observed, on more than one occasion, the scattered caustic remark that you feel inclined to use to slap down another 'Internet Idiot' that you deemed to need it. I read past the 'tude & have learned a thing or three from what you have written. I would like to thank you for your contributions around here.

John.

Usually, the real issue is that it takes a while to accumulate enough data, and then one sees that the difference isn't as significant as originally thought, or can be attributed to another cause (i.e. seasonal fuel). Of course, that's not always the case, but it does happen quite often.

18.5 MPG towing a 5th wheel?? That's one awesome truck you've got there, that's what my '06 gets towing NOTHING!!! The switch from winter to summer D2 seems to make a bigger difference than anything else does on mine, though.

Way too many things change from tank to tank to call anyone's short-term observations clinically relevant. Period.

First, I'm confused by your comments. You stated that you blended T6 (1/3) into T5 (2/3). But you also stated you went from a 20 grade to a 40 grade. Which is it? And what HDEO did you move from that is a 20 grade anyway? Your comments are contradictory and leading me, well, I don't know where ...

Plus, your math is, well, poor. You start at a claimed 16mpg, and then state a "13%" increase is = 18.5? Nope, that's a 15.5% increase. Perhaps you fat-fingered the calculator? I must confess that sloppy work does not instill confidence in me. Sure - we all make mistakes. I, too, am flawed and make mistakes. But your math and claims don't match up.

And to be honest, I'd like to know just how "light" this 5ver really is? I pull an RV too; I've NEVER seen that kind of mileage at a "normal" speeds when pulling a wind-brick. You're telling me you can average 18.5 mpg pulling a 5ver? I find that incredulously hard to believe. What does that make your empty and unloaded mpg???

You mention the term "statistically significant". I seriously doubt you really know what those words mean to a statistical process quality control engineer. That's what I do for a living.

I noticed once that Schaeffer's claimed something like a 7% fuel economy increase by switching to their syn products. I found that pretty heady, so I contacted them and asked for details. They were very forthcoming and sent me the actual study resutls. What they were talking about was running big-rigs with conventional lubes switched to syn lubes. But it was ALL lubes, not just the engine. They switched to syn engine oil, tranny fluid, diff fluid, etc. The cumulative total was about 7% gain in an "on track" verification run. It was not fleet data. I cannot find my archive of it, but I recall it was run to some ISO or ASME test protocol. The data seemed legit to me. But again, it was a major gain by switching ALL lubes to syn, and it was well less than double-digit percent increase.

But now Reg# 43897 claims "several" mpg gain? Presuming he was averaging 15mpg (it's a guess on my part, and very reasonable estimate) before his grade shift, and then he suddenly went to 18 mpg (3 mpg would qualify as "several" where I come from), that would be a 20% increase! TWENTY percent! Schaeffers could only pull out 7% by swithcing ALL lubes to syn, and I'm supposed to believe that you pull out a 20% increase by making some hybrid from a blend of T5 and T6?

I'm not saying you're a liar; that would be rude and I'd have to know a lot more about you to make such a bold claim; I won't do that. But what I'm saying is that while I agree you may have experienced a shift in economy, there are a whole host of things that you're probably not tracking or aware of that play into all the variables of fuel economy.

Not for one moment in a sliver of time do I think you gained "several" mpg by making your 40 grade become a 33.333333 grade. Not at all. It it were that easy, to gain a presumed 20%, then everyone would be doing it. It would be common knowledge, but it's not.

For reference, look at the Schaeffer data:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/supreme-7000-engine-oil.html
for their 7000 series; "results available upon request"
3-5% claimed gain; cartainly not 20%

Here is what Castrol claims going from 15w-40 dino to 5w-30 PAO:
http://www.castrol.com/castrol/sectiongenericarticle.do?categoryId=9045281&contentId=7079765
4% gain; that's what they claim in real controlled testing.

And those statements are always the " ... up to ..." or some other form of "best case" statements.

I don't know where Fredericton is; I presume it's in Canada? That's the only place I could find with such a referece. I'd have to know something about your environment and operations to see what may be contributing factors.

I don't doubt you are getting more mpg; I doubt your garage brew was the sole cause.

You indicate that you've read my posts and you're familiar with my mantra. OK - fine. Then you'll also know and be able to acknowledge that I'm all about factual data and not rhetoric. I not only want to know the end result, but the contributing conditions to that result. Too many times there are underlying variables that are not known or controlled, and people presume things they should not, which leads to poor conclusions.

Again - I'm not calling you a liar; I have no cause to believe you are. And I will publically apologize here if that's the offense you took. But I'm also not accepting that you got "several" mpg gain by putting in some T5 with your T6 as sole causation.

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the '05, but my '06 owner's manual states a 10K OCI, under ideal conditions. I run 5W40 (M1 TDT) because I have a weird hard start condition, when it's half warmed up in winter, when the glow/heater grid is disabled due to engine temp. Combined with very sporadic driving/towing, I'm coming up on my 3rd year with only filter changes & topping off, UOAs still reading OK (helped by mostly CI-4+ oil & ULSD).

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
I'm not familiar with the '05, but my '06 owner's manual states a 10K OCI, under ideal conditions.

You're positive?

My '07 with the 5.9 CTD recommended a 7500 mile oci for severe duty and 15,000 for normal duty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back