B-12 Chemtool and Restore CSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: strat81
Originally Posted By: JHZR2

Last night around 10pm I emailed Valvoline, Pennzoil and WPP (Supertech) for zinc and NOACK values for their oils, as each was either deficient in the data in the PDS, or there was no PDS. Before 830 eastern time, all three had responded. Pretty impressive.

Even the 20w-50 from these vendors have low ZDDP levels, and the 20w-50 oils have noack of
Since my 318i is specified for 20w-50 as a recommended oil, I may try it to see how consumption looks... Assuming the GTX 5w-30 I have in there is consumed fast.

Don't be shy... share what they told you.

Well valvoline was mostly useless. They post generic and vague numbers for noack, and that's all they could say.

Pennzoil confirmed that their zinc levels in their 10w-40 and 20w-50 were 800ppm.

WPP sent me full data sheets, and their zinc is 850ppm, but noack is 5.1for the 20w-50! Same zinc for the 10w-40, but noack is 13.5 for the hm and the regular. The 10w-40 hm is more viscous at 100c.

J:
I do not know which engine you have---to tell you the truth, I've never even driven a BMW, but I can tell you, there is a PCV system. It may be primitive, or it may be a fixed port type, but you do have one.If you do not think you have one, and have never serviced it, maybe that is where the problem is?
Steve

Originally Posted By: steve20
I do not know which engine you have---to tell you the truth, I've never even driven a BMW, but I can tell you, there is a PCV system. It may be primitive, or it may be a fixed port type, but you do have one.If you do not think you have one, and have never serviced it, maybe that is where the problem is?

Steve is right on this. The 318i (E30 series vehicle) was made from 1988-1992. All vehicles in that period had a PCV valve and oil vapor collection system. If the PCV valve becomes clogged, it can result in positive crankcase pressure, which can cause oil to leak around gaskets, like the valve cover gasket, or pass through shaft seals.

If you can locate the PCV valve, remove it and test it by shaking. If it rattles, it's okay. Otherwise, replace. For whatever reasons, it's not considered good style to clean a PCV valve.

In an earlier message, I suggested you concentrate on locating the cause of oil usage - leaking gaskets, bad shaft seals, bad valve stem seals, leaking past the rings, a bad head gasket. But, try to determine the cause first - then worry about fixes. There are fairly simple tests for each of these maladies. But some cures (e.g. a solvent added to the oil) may aggravate other problems (e.g. oil leaking past a gasket or past the rings). A shotgun approach will probably be counterproductive.

It does NOT have PCV with a valve. There are a set of breather hoses which are all clear and in fine shape. There are no external oil leaks, and the plugs stay good looking. I did have soom seepage from a spark plug hole seal but fixed that long ago with no change.

While newer iterations of the M42 used a disc shaped PCV valve, this one has just an open breather and no EGR either.

The lifter tick seems to have been due to some dirt that didn't come clean by other solvents and oils. It is gone. I was ok with replacement, but it was impossible to identify which one specifically was the ticker. Remember that once warmed up, it was silent. So my cost would have been $16x16, not a ton of money but I'm glad if it's gone.

As far as consumption, I'm not counting on any of this to fix it. Chasing it down may or may not occur. Given that my OM specs 20w-50, I may try that. Most of my driving is high speed interstate with rpms at 3500 or more. Every decent OM out there indicates that high speed driving can cause consumption and that a heavier oil may be needed. Easy test, especially since 20w-50 oils have NOACK of 5 vs 10-15 even for 40wt oils. Easy experiment. I can assure everyone that the breather system is clear and open. Considering that we will be buying a minivan before too long, the car runs beautifully, good MPGs, and there are no obvious leaks (park on white concrete without any issues or spots) the extent that I spend time on this versus our 16 month old is dubious.

One quick thought: there are more than a few forums devoted to BMW automobiles. On such a forum, you might determine what is normal oil usage for your vehicle. Some vehicles simply use more oil than others. Your usage might be 'normal'.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
It does NOT have PCV with a valve. While newer iterations of the M42 used a disc shaped PCV valve, this one has just an open breather and no EGR either.

The breather hoses probably go to the valve cover, right?

Are you sure someone hasn't removed the PCV valve? It's been years since I've been under the hood of this vehicle, but it should be located next to the outlet elbow and look vaguely like this (well, not totally trashed ;-):
318i_1.jpg
318i_2.jpg

Bummer those pictures don't load. Nope, no valve, wasn't put in until one of the later years of the m42/44 in the e36.

J:

Lets see what the outside of the car looks like. Since we don't get to see these everyday and the guys like pictures.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
J:

Lets see what the outside of the car looks like. Since we don't get to see these everyday and the guys like pictures.

When it's cleaned up and not salty.

DSC_0391b.jpg

DSC_0412b.jpg

A little over 300 miles in, but zero, absolutely no consumption... And this is on very old GTX 5W30... It had been consuming Supertech in the same grade very readily at the same rate as was historically seen...

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Thanks J, looks real good.
01.gif

Did you go talk to that girl?

On topic, the restore did nothing for my poor compression. It's still less than 30psi. Something else is going on. Broken piston or head gasket.

Over 500 miles of high speed driving with just the slightest tick below full on the dipstick. I hope this remains the case. I've seen people talk about consumption coming back in some situations, but I hope not.

I'll put on another 600+ miles this week most likely so it will be interesting to see how the trend plays out.

Over 1000 miles of all highway use and no further consumption on 5w-30 conv.

This is looking very promising. Unfortunately, we will not know which one (B12 or Restore) did the trick though :-(

Originally Posted By: Vikas
This is looking very promising. Unfortunately, we will not know which one (B12 or Restore) did the trick though :-(

Thats the problem with changing more than one thing at a time. As far as consumption goes, my bet is the Restore.

My ranger consumes a quart every 1000 miles. I've tried high mileage oils that have done nothing to slow the consumption. I read this thread a week ago or so and figured why not give the restore a shot. 350 miles into the addition of restore and I'm right at the full mark on the dipstick. Woo huu! I'll be checking weekly to see it this remains the case, and update on this thread.

PS. I'm not a believer in oil additives but figured why not give it a shot.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Originally Posted By: Vikas

Thats the problem with changing more than one thing at a time. As far as consumption goes, my bet is the Restore.

Yes, it is, but given the weather and need for service, I wasn't turning this into a science project.

Frankly I don't really see the big deal anyway, as both of these products are ubiquitous and easy for anyone to try.

If one searches, especially in jeep forums, there are a lot of reports that restore has quieted lifters. I honestly don't see how it would have stopped consumption.

Others have used solvent flushes successfully to prevent consumption by cleaning rings and oil drain ports. So we may have seen an effect with both. It would be easy enough on a consuming vehicle for someone to do a flush right before the oil change, measure the consumption, then add the restore only if there was no change.

750 miles and I'm just a hair below the full mark 1/32-1/16 ish, I'd be more than a half quart low by now before adding the restore. I'll keep checking, if this stuff keeps the consumption as slow as it has I won't have to top up at all through a 6 month oci..... Fingers crossedX

Last edited:
There is some evidence here that Restore is hard on or clogs filters FYI. But it does seem to help engines on their last legs. Not sure it is intended for or will work as well long term. Let us know how it goes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back