Dumb Phones and their irritating quirks

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am right now using Samsung Brightside which is a touch screen slide out texting phone. I have put a 4GB card in and it loaded music on it. I have paired it up with the Acura blue tooth and it can stream music fine.

HOWEVER, the phone always starts from ground zero when starting music. One would think it the first thing anybody would design in a music player is the ability to pause and resume the music when it stopped the last time. Hey, even VHS vcr had that ability :) For me, it is like the Groundhog Day every time I get in the car.

One often wonders if manufacturer intentionally put these type of omission to force you to upgrade to a smart phone so that they will have a revenue stream of at least $720 for next two years!

At my last job, I had a "dumb" phone that I had to carry.

Things I noticed about it:
-It would last WEEKS on a charge with regular usage.
-It always worked. Period.

Opposed to my current and last smart phone ... Battery life measurable in hours and the stupid things are always having problems.

It's only dumb to use the phone for anything other than calling. Mens pants need bigger pockets to hold bigger toys to play with, while shopping in the Mall.

It's all the Chinese clothes makers fault. These designer shows need women models with big-big pockets.

Oh Lord! I just exposed my new invention.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: Vikas
I have put a 4GB card in and it loaded music on it. I have paired it up with the Acura blue tooth and it can stream music fine.

Doesn't your Acura have an SD card slot?

iPod Touch's work wonders in these cases and make an incredible companion to a dumb phone. I leave mine my MDX and it sync's via wifi when I drive into garage eventually up to date.

The other work around is using MP3 disc maybe even DVD which my MDX reads.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
At my last job, I had a "dumb" phone that I had to carry.

Things I noticed about it:
-It would last WEEKS on a charge with regular usage.
-It always worked. Period.

Opposed to my current and last smart phone ... Battery life measurable in hours and the stupid things are always having problems.

Agreed on charge with smartphone but iPhone 4s always works for me. You using Android something?

Acura has zillion different (BT/HD/SD/CD) ways of playing music, so that is not the issue here! I have different stuff on different sources.

To be fair, I had similar issues with iPhone too. Based upon which music application was last playing, it have done the "Groundhog Day" too but I think that is actually a bug because I am not able to reproduce it on demand. This Dumbphone is designed to restart the music every time you select it.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Acura has zillion different (BT/HD/SD/CD) ways of playing music, so that is not the issue here!

So the issue is that you're surprised that a dumb phone does not act smart?

For me, I'm surprised a dumb phone can play music in the first place.
smile.gif

Come to think of it, as far as dumb phones go, this is pretty smart! It can even talk out loud the text messages! Drove me nuts until I figured out how to turn off that feature as it was quite embarrassing in our group meeting when I wanted to do some clean up of the messages on the phone :) The biggest advantage of the dumb phone that is that now I am forced to pay attention to all the time wasting meetings at my work. I think everybody should try living with a dumb phone for a week and see what kind of productivity gains corporate America can achieve.

So yes, I suspect it is all intentional by the manufacturer to make their dumb phones just smart enough but with extremely annoying quirks. Or may be their simple non-multitasking OS with no ability to save context makes it impossible to implement the ability to restore an application state.

I've got the same Samsung Brightside phone, but use it for nothing but texting and talking. I like it actually ... I don't want to be a "smart phone zombie".
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back