Lead removal?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that the rod has any damage on it, that I would prefer the alloy to be softer than the barrel. Stainless rods are harder than other choices, hence why I prefer the others or one piece carbon rods.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Shannow
Hard rods have less embedability for abrasives to turn it into a "lapping rod".

Ever seen the muzzle wear on an old .303 that has been cleaned religiously with a "pullthrough", that is made of hemp, which is clearly softer than barrel steel ?

I have seen many old mil surp guns with muzzle damage that had steel rods too. And yes, a cloth/fiber cleaning rope is going to catch all sorts of grit and turn it into an unintentional low tech emery cloth. I always assumed that was why so many countries used chain pull throughs like my old German kit has.

The guy on the front line cleaning his barrel during a lull in the fighting has little concern what type of make or material the cleaning rod is made of. Only needs to be minute of man anyway.

With that said a true competition marksman uses a hardened, highly polished S/S rod and a rod/bore guide. To think otherwise is just folly, go to a match and check out a $5,000 to $15,000 dollar match rifle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back