Toyota pays $1.2-billion federal fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: moving2
Originally Posted By: wallyuwl
don't trust Toyota, and haven't even looked at their options for our soon-to-be-purchased new vehicle.

wallyuwul- do you trust GM? Why or why not?

We haven't looked at GM's offerings in the segment (Traverse, etc.) because I don't really trust GM's build quality. We have an Equinox with the 2.4L and it hasn't been good. The rest of the vehicle has been solid in terms of build, but not the engine. It has consumed oil from the beginning and needed a major repair (under warranty thankfully) in October. On the Equinox forum others have said they've needed this same repair two or three times. Major engine design and/or parts flaw. They wanted a vehicle this size to get the big MPG number and rushed it to market. It wasn't ready and from what I hear they are still making it the same way as five years ago. The other problem I have is how the transmission shifts. It is purely software related and GM won't do a new calibration for it (they did one a few months after the original release that helped but still isn't great - we got the new one actually off of the laptop of a GM engineer who drove down from Detroit four and a half years ago, so we had it before the dealers did, and I told him it is good but not perfected, so they know about it).

At the risk of getting this thread locked:

It's pretty rich when the US Government accuses anyone of "concealing and making deceptive statements..."

*partial quote taken from a recent Forbes article*

Last edited:
Toyota is glad to settle the deal and move on. One thing the litigation did do is light a fire under their butts to be sensitive to defects in their vehicles which is a good thing.

But I do think there is a conflict of interest with the prosecution. Since the US was a major stakeholder in their #1 competitor. However all this does is make them stronger and more reliable in the future.

However, the public lesson to all the automakers is a good thing.

Originally Posted By: moving2
don't trust Toyota, and haven't even looked at their options for our soon-to-be-purchased new vehicle.

wallyuwul- do you trust GM? Why or why not?

We haven't looked at GM's offerings in the segment (Traverse, etc.) because I don't really trust GM's build quality. We have an Equinox with the 2.4L and it hasn't been good. The rest of the vehicle has been solid in terms of build, but not the engine. It has consumed oil from the beginning and needed a major repair (under warranty thankfully) in October. On the Equinox forum others have said they've needed this same repair two or three times. Major engine design and/or parts flaw. They wanted a vehicle this size to get the big MPG number and rushed it to market. It wasn't ready and from what I hear they are still making it the same way as five years ago. The other problem I have is how the transmission shifts. It is purely software related and GM won't do a new calibration for it (they did one a few months after the original release that helped but still isn't great - we got the new one actually off of the laptop of a GM engineer who drove down from Detroit four and a half years ago, so we had it before the dealers did, and I told him it is good but not perfected, so they know about it).

Wife has a 2012 that she ordered new in 2011 (Equinox 2.4) and the only problem with it was a pinched wire going to the liftgate (assembly error). Engine has been flawless and gets good mileage, although not quite what the EPA says it should get. I've noticed that for just about every mfg, there are first and sonetimes second year problems. The Japanese have a tendency to test in their home market first before they sell them over here, so the bugs are usually worked out. Their quality control seems second to none, though. I just prefer Chrysler and GM to any of the imports. My Chrysler products have been better than anything, but YMMV.

Originally Posted By: needsducktape
I'm pretty sure they are all shrewd at the very least.

The key here is that TOYOTA LIED and knew the issue approximately TWO years before the famous 911 call & crash (where a family DIED).

True. GM now faces the same thing with the ignition recall. But their new CEO took a line from the Toyota CEO and came out and apologized right away.

Ford ignored the data and then lied with the Firestone tire recall on the Explorer and suffered the near destruction of one of America's top selling SUV brands because so many people were killed in them. They also destroyed a 100 year old supplier relationship doing so. Jack Nassar was the real problem until Bill Ford fired him and actually threw him out of Ford HQ.

So, the days of hiding fatal defects in automobiles in the US is coming to a close. My guess is that it is the result of so much mass instant communication on the internet that prevents the automakers from hiding the number of fatal accidents with their products.

Originally Posted By: grampi
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: jrustles
it's all brainwashing and brand psychology. those reputations were "unblemished" as you put it due to serious PR/censorship muscle.

Between Honda and Toyota, there has been exactly one model in the past 10-15 years that I would even consider buying for myself. I recently had the opportunity to buy a fantastic example of that car, and I passed it up with barely a second thought. If they've brainwashed me, they've done a terrible job.
wink.gif

Prior to Toyota's recent nosedive, and with the further exception of Honda's glass 5-speed autos, every single Toyota and Honda I've had personal experience with has been stone cold reliable, even under incredible abuse. Maybe that makes me the one person in the entire universe whose experience has matched the hype.

When I sold parts I sold just as many for Toyota and Honda as I did the Big 3. Their "superior reliability" is definitely a myth. Now that isn't saying they are unreliable nor that owner's have not had good luck with them but rather they are no where near as good as the mag's and loyal owner's make them out to be. Usually costs a lot more to fix them as well.

At least their engines don't have to be replaced at 60K miles...

You might wan to do a bit of research before making such statements. Both have had their share of engine issues. All car mfg's have issues.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek
Nice.
Now, how much GM should pay then.

Looks like GM is on the hook for $30-$60 billion, if they have to pay the same amount per death. Looks like bailout time again.

I don't think GM stands accused - yet - of lying to the Congress.

Those guys (congress) tell us bald faced lies at every opportunity, but go berserk when someone tells them a whopper. Looks like Toyo learned that the hard way.

edit: The Toyo guys should have just made a bald faced statement proclaiming their complete innocence - and then taken the fifth, like some of our recent public servants.

Last edited:

You might wan to do a bit of research before making such statements. Both have had their share of engine issues. All car mfg's have issues.

True, but the big 3 have had, and continue to have far more...

Hogwash. That's a pretty ignorant statement.

You can name anything Toyota is guilty of and the big 3 are guilty of the same 10 fold...

Really? Where is their 1.2 billion dollar fine then?
smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
IIRC, there was nothing actually wrong with these cars, as was the true of the infamous Audi case of years earlier.
Had their drivers either pushed the left pedal as hard as they could, reached down and gotten the floor mat clear of the throttle pedal, turned the key switch to the off position or selected neutral, the festivities would have come to an end.
Most drivers first instinct under these conditions would be to brake hard.
Mine would be.
A couple of the buff books tried exactly that, flooring both pedals at the same time.
The brakes won every time.
Toyota error or driver error?
As with Audi, driver error every time.

Yep, I never understood why a professionally trained police officer couldn't figure out how to stop his vehicle. strange.

If anything I think the behavior of a major corporation deliberately hiding knowledge of a potentially lethal defect and then lying about it shows the incredible arrogance and belligerence of top executives but more worrisome is the sociopathology that seems to be very evident at that top level.

When I sold parts I sold just as many for Toyota and Honda as I did the Big 3. Their "superior reliability" is definitely a myth. Now that isn't saying they are unreliable nor that owner's have not had good luck with them but rather they are no where near as good as the mag's and loyal owner's make them out to be. Usually costs a lot more to fix them as well.

My 10.5 years old 2004 Honda S2000 didn't have mechanical problem, except the clutch master cylinder had a small leak a year ago. I had too ad 2-3 oz brake brake fluid to the reservoir, I then removed the master cylinder to inspect and cleaned it, reinstalled and until now no more leak. I also adjust the cylinder travel to get the engage point up near the top. Other than the master cylinder leak problem no other problem.

If you call the fast wearing rear tires is a bad design on a light car of about 2800 lbs, then Honda has a design flaw with the S2000.

Part of the problems (clutch master cylinder leak and fast wearing rear tires) is I drive my S2000 mostly in city with a lot of stop and go, so that I have to shift gear constantly and apply the brake more than 2-3 times every mile.

Toyota has most recalls

Originally Posted By: Silverado12

Toyota has most recalls

The big 3 have had far more over the years...

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Hogwash. That's a pretty ignorant statement.

You can choose to walk through life with blinders on and ignore the truth if you want...

Originally Posted By: Number21
You can name anything Toyota is guilty of and the big 3 are guilty of the same 10 fold...

smiley-rolleyes008.gif

They just haven't been caught yet...

So I'm riding with my aunt in her Ford F-250 sitting in the passenger seat, traveling at about 60 mph down a highway in moderate traffic when she said "it's not slowing down...." in a very calm voice, but when I asked her to repeat what she said she seemed a little more worried.

The passenger in the back, predictably, freaked out. Before attempting to diagnose the problem I instructed my aunt to shift into neutral (auto gearbox), she missed and hit park, and quickly moved it back to drive. On her second attempt she hit neutral.

Knowing that we were no longer in a runaway vehicle I reached down to around the gas pedal to see if the floor mat was stuck, which it was. I fixed it and we were on our way.

For those of us who are car enthusiasts and generally enjoy operating vehicles, this may all have been second nature. I would agree that it should be second nature for anyone who operates a vehicle. But if you've never thought about this type of situation happening to you, and you've never received any training specific to this, I understand why some people would freak out and lose their minds.

As far as engine reliability goes.... who cares? Buy the car you like and take care of it, and more likely than not it'll be fine.

You're crazy if you think GM would be fined by this agency.

Originally Posted By: Number21

smiley-rolleyes008.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back