Fram Tough Gaurd

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you feel about FRAM TOUGH GAURD?

I know the FRAM ULTRA is a good filter and respect.

I know the FRAM OCOD Is not respected and been told to avoid

However The Fram Tough Guard does have FIBER END DISCS/CAPS

but wonder how you feel about them?

Also I have a HONDA and the HONDA A02 is very simular to a FRAM Tough Gaurd

So what do you all feel?

Is it really good for 10K miles?

However I would never leave any filter in my car that long

5K the most

but what do you all feel about TOugh gaurd

Thanks

Having fiber end caps never really mattered in the first place. Filter media has been found to still keep its strength and remain effective.

Use Tough Guard with confidence, especially if you will only use it for 5K OCI. I have used the OCOD for 5K with no problem.

The Tough Guard is an excellent filter and will easily handle your 5,000 mile OCI. The Extra Guard would also be perfectly sufficient and save you a bit of money. I recently opened one of my Extra Guards after 6,500 miles of service. The media looked good and the ADBV was still extremely pliable. No need to "avoid."

There have been dozens of threads on this filter over the last couple of weeks. Why start another?

The Tough Guard is an excellent filter. My top choice when I'm going to do a longer OCI and spend more than 3 bucks on a filter.

The Fram rep here recently posted the Tough Guard media is 30-35% synthetic, nice!

No reason to avoid the Extra Guard for shorter OCI's either, it's just fine and there is nothing wrong with fiber endcaps either. Fram actually patented them as an improvement, but the patent has since expired.

I used Tough Guards on my Camaro for a few years at intervals up to 7500 miles. Never had a problem. Then I switched to PurOne's until I took one apart after an 8000 mile interval and found that the pleats were seriously deformed. Now I'm going with nothing but filters that have wire-backed media.

I use them and havnt any issues. Intact, other than motorcraft, they are the only filters I used on my old jeep and my wife's explorer that didn't produce a bottom end rattle at start up. They're efficiency rating is pretty good too.

Fram Tough Guards are nice filters. One is going on our Maxx very soon.

Regarding the OCOD, I have never had a problem. I was able to score a few discontinued PH43's for my Jeeps for a $1 each.
The recent bad batch of Puro Plus's leaves me uneasy, as I use them quite often. I think I'm going to stick with the Tough Guards or maybe [censored] the haters and run OCOD's.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
There have been dozens of threads on this filter over the last couple of weeks. Why start another?

He used the word "feel" or "feeling" 4 times. Obviously the other threads had too many facts, and he just wanted us to get in touch with our feelings on the subject.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
Originally Posted By: dishdude

He used the word "feel" or "feeling" 4 times. Obviously the other threads had too many facts, and he just wanted us to get in touch with our feelings on the subject.

Yes, I feel really good about Fram and I am really emotionally in touch with the silver/black two tone designer theme on the TG. Plus I like the way Tough Guard sounds. I want my filter to be "TOUGH" and guard my engine. So I can only recommend that you go with the Tough Guard.
happy2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: David1
How do you feel about FRAM TOUGH GAURD?

The Fram Tough Guard does have FIBER END DISCS/CAPS

but wonder how you feel about them?

Is it really good for 10K miles?

I feel that if the TG had thicker fiber end caps like the OEM Honda filters that Fram makes, that it would be an enhancement to the design. Fiber end caps are fine as long as they stay flat and ridged during the use of the filter.

If Fram rates the TG for 10K miles, then it will do 10K miles in a relatively clean engine.

I put the tought gaurd on....
Thank you all for you opinions...

I mentioned before that I had a K&N Oil filter on my car b/c it was free with a deal at AAP.

Well I just cut open the K&N and I never seen a oil filter that was so easy to cut open.

Some filters I get so tired b/c I cut them by hand with the same tool that is getting duller each filter I cut.

So anyways.. Im not sure if K&N makes the filter so it can FLEX ???

The base plate was heavy.... but the CAN was very very thin and the Filter element i was shocked how tiny it was... It was as small as a NAPA SILVER....

Im starting to think K&N is way over priced unless you have a car that your oil filter is hard to reach b.c the built on nut does make it very easy to remove.

Ill snap some pics of it later and post it.

So far out of all the filters I have cut open I really have to say FRAM ULTRA and MANN and
NAPA seem to be the best... and for the $.

Also the NIPPON oil filter for Honda was very impressive.. I posted them pics on a filter that I cut open NEW.

Im just totally shocked about the K&N unless they make it that way for a reason.

Also I have cut open a few HONDA A02 Oil filters and they seemed fine and had much more filter area then the K&N...

wait till I post the pics, it even started to collapse... and this filter only had about 5000 miles on it.. I would say closer to 4500 miles.

Again thanks for all your responses on the Tough Guard.

Looks like for me its TOUGH Guard or Fram Ultra.

Or MANN if free or deal or NAPA if free or deal.

Or Honda filter if I got to dealer when they have a special on Oil Change.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back